Hurricane Electric

Updated Dec 26, 2014
Updated Dec 26, 2014

2.2

Mathematician Web Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hurricane Electric in August 2014.

I applied online after seeing it on Craigslist. An administrative assistant called me and scheduled an on-site multiple choice timed test. The test was proctored by a lady named Annie Yau who gave me a on-site HR screening after I finished the test with 85%+ on each portion. She took me to a room on the side to ask me about my experience, told more about the company and if I will be chosen I will be noticed by mail.

Interview Questions
    • In C and Perl what the value of expression "3|7"?

Among other things, parenthesis are used in C and Perl for:
      1. Array indices
      2. To break out of a loop
      3. Grouping statements into a block
      4. Controlling precedence in expressions and delimiting an argument lists for functioc calls

Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hurricane Electric.

The company need candidates to have a screening test in the first interview. The test is included some questions about mechanics & IQ testing, Maths, grammar and vocabulary four parts.

Interview Questions
    • I feel difficult about the testing for vocabulary because I'm a second language speaker. I'm so weak on that part.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Hurricane Electric in July 2014.

They responded to my resume quickly. They have you come in for a screening test as the first step. It's a little over an hour and pretty basic. I'm not sure why an Administrative Assistant would need to know about mechanical logic but it's not difficult if you know anything about circuits or gears.

Interview Questions
    • Four co-workers carpool over a standard Monday - Friday work week. Everyone drives once per rotation and the order is always the same. If Penny drives on Tuesday how long will it be until she drives on a Tuesday again?   Answer Question

Mathematician Web Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hurricane Electric in April 2014.

I applied online after seeing it on Craigslist. A girl named Tiffany Leber (most likely the CEO's daughter) replied and scheduled an on-site multiple choice timed test. The test was proctored by a lady named Annie Yau who gave me a on-site HR screening after I finished the test with 90%+ on each portion. She took me to a room on the side to ask me about my experience. After getting to know me, she then decides to offer me another multiple choice test. After that was done, I was told to send in my SAT scores, High School and College transcripts. She also assured me that there's no rush as there's 'many' opened positions. I send in the paperwork and got an email a week later saying that there was 'no' position appropriate for me.

Interview Questions
    • You're going to be tested on your vocabulary for words like 'insipid', 'commodious', 'laconic', etc.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hurricane Electric in April 2014.

I applied online and received an email invitation to set an appointment for a screening test. The screening test consisted of three sections: Vocabulary, Language, Problem Solving and Logic (Mechanical) skills; the mechanical skills section was incredibly technical considering the job position description.

Interview Questions
    • Unless you have a solid mechanical background, a good majority of the questions in the mechanical skills section of the screening test will be incredibly difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Mathematician Web Programmer ( Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hurricane Electric in November 2013.

Onsite interview... hmm, started with
    The multiple-choice test focuses on basic programming, C++, Perl, SQL, basic networking, and some basic Algebra. They claimed the test may take up to 2 hours. It took me 45 minutes and I scored 97%, I was in a hurry to get through this... The HR Manager asked if I could stay to take an additional tests, language, vocabulary... I really rushed and only score 88% on these. She said I did well , and could I obtain a college transcript and my SAT scores. Hmmm, btw, I am in my 50's so that was more than 35 years ago for the SAT score, and 30 years for the college transcript. After I acquired these, and sent them in. The communication flat lined. I sent in an email asking about my candidacy, and the response 3 weeks later was "I have forwarded your documents to the hiring manager for further review, but have not heard from him yet. Let me do a follow up.". So at this point, I really lost interest, and responded with receipts for the cost incurred. And now over 2 weeks later, I still have not see reimbursement. I did get the STANDARD HR email with "Thank you for taking the time to interview recently for our open position. At this time, we have identified a candidate who more closely matches our requirements."

I really can't say I had an interview, just talking to a test administrator/hr manager.

Considering I am current client, and brought in 2 other companies to use their facility... over 9 full racks leased...... I am pulling my investment out, and never never never bringing another client in to He.Net.

The CEO is Mike Leber. I have spoken to him a few times over the years. I know he's a bit of nimrod.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult, it's all remedial questions asked... if you can pass this them you're as genius as their CEO. Basically HS educational level work.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

After being called in for some ridiculous testing process for an admin position; and arriving 15 minutes early I and another interviewer were finally shown upstairs 20 minutes after we our appointment time (really?) We were instructed by I assume "Tiffany Leber" to turn over our resumes and take a seat at one of the 50 or so computers in the room and begin testing. Which was grammar and basic mathematics (problem solving). BUT, during the testing she (Tiffany) proceeded to make calls to other candidates: WHICH was quite annoying! Needless to say this is not a position I would want with such a person helping make the choices in hiring people. My guess is their retention rate is low.

Interview Questions
    • No questions: told we'd hear back if they are interested.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Applied to the company through a job ad/recruiter. The company requires you to provide both college and high school transcripts, plus SAT/ACT scores. Once those are processed, testing followed, all done through a multiple choice electronic test. Questions included, networking concepts/hardware, Math/boolean logic, SQL, and C/Perl concepts. After that, I was called back to have a basic interview, with a programming exercise. Offered a job on the spot.

Mathematician Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Hurricane Electric.

Responded to an ad on craigslist. Contacted me within a few days, scheduled a testing. Test was multiple choice on computers, question range from simple algebra, PERL, SQL, C syntax, binary to hex/decimal conversions, simple network acronyms. etc.

The job description is very vague its not really a developer position so don't get your hopes up, you'll probably end up in the lobby as a receptionist.

Interview Questions
    • The test consisted of basic questions. Syntax questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hurricane Electric in March 2013.

I applied on Craigslist to a very vague job description. Got a call from the HR Assistant literally five minutes after emailing my resume, asking me to come in for a screening test, instructing me to "dress casually" and informing me that it would "just be a test." The test consisted of mechanical logic, problem solving (math), business grammar and vocabulary; there were about ten other people testing at the same time and it looked as if they have a stream of people continually coming in every day to test and interview.

After the test the HR Manager, who was administering the test, unexpectedly pulled me into a conference room adjacent to the testing area and asked the typical HR interview questions, "What do you know about this company?," "Why do you want to work here?," "What did and didn't you like about your previous jobs," "What are your career goals?," etc. At the end of the interview she gave me her card and told me to email her my SAT scores and college transcripts, and that "While you may not be a good fit for this position, I have other positions opening up soon which you'll probably be qualified for." She said they needed SAT scores and college transcripts because they "require all employees to go through training which requires calculus," and that scores and transcripts would give them a better idea about my prior performance in mathematical subjects, and hence a surety of my ability to complete the training. (Even though I had literally just taken a test which included a math section, and despite that the job description indicated absolutely nothing about knowing calculus, being good at math, or even being a college graduate.)

I sent her screenshots of my SAT scores, ordered and sent transcripts from all universities I had attended, which took about two weeks. Afterwards she emailed me saying that the "Hiring manager is requesting copies of your high school transcripts." (Pretty extraordinary request, after all I had already given them, but, again, I assumed that the reason she gave about "calculus" was abiding with this request as well.) I ordered a copy of my high school transcripts and sent them to her. I never heard from her again, even after a follow-up email. Lots of work to do (and money spent) just to end up being ignored, but that's pretty typical these days, isn't it?

I've now (five months later) seen the same job ad re-posted on Craigslist every three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What did you and didn't you like about your previous jobs?   Answer Question