Hurricane Electric

Relevance Date Difficulty

Support Engineer Interview

Support Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hurricane Electric in January 2013.

Interview Details – Email correspondence to set up the test/interview, then you get tested. If the score meets a certain threshold, you get called in for an interview. I was lucky enough to get interviewed before having to come back another time. They ask you questions about your education/knowledge/interest in the company. I was then hired.

Interview Question – What do you like about math?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but that was declared in the listing.

Mathematician Web Programmer Interview

Mathematician Web Programmer
Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hurricane Electric in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online after seeing it on Craigslist. A girl named Tiffany Leber (most likely the CEO's daughter) replied and scheduled an on-site multiple choice timed test. The test was proctored by a lady named Annie Yau who gave me a on-site HR screening after I finished the test with 90%+ on each portion. She took me to a room on the side to ask me about my experience. After getting to know me, she then decides to offer me another multiple choice test. After that was done, I was told to send in my SAT scores, High School and College transcripts. She also assured me that there's no rush as there's 'many' opened positions. I send in the paperwork and got an email a week later saying that there was 'no' position appropriate for me.

Interview Question – You're going to be tested on your vocabulary for words like 'insipid', 'commodious', 'laconic', etc.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Mathematician Web Programmer ( Interview

Mathematician Web Programmer (
Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Hurricane Electric in November 2013.

Interview Details – Onsite interview... hmm, started with
The multiple-choice test focuses on basic programming, C++, Perl, SQL, basic networking, and some basic Algebra. They claimed the test may take up to 2 hours. It took me 45 minutes and I scored 97%, I was in a hurry to get through this... The HR Manager asked if I could stay to take an additional tests, language, vocabulary... I really rushed and only score 88% on these. She said I did well , and could I obtain a college transcript and my SAT scores. Hmmm, btw, I am in my 50's so that was more than 35 years ago for the SAT score, and 30 years for the college transcript. After I acquired these, and sent them in. The communication flat lined. I sent in an email asking about my candidacy, and the response 3 weeks later was "I have forwarded your documents to the hiring manager for further review, but have not heard from him yet. Let me do a follow up.". So at this point, I really lost interest, and responded with receipts for the cost incurred. And now over 2 weeks later, I still have not see reimbursement. I did get the STANDARD HR email with "Thank you for taking the time to interview recently for our open position. At this time, we have identified a candidate who more closely matches our requirements."

I really can't say I had an interview, just talking to a test administrator/hr manager.

Considering I am current client, and brought in 2 other companies to use their facility... over 9 full racks leased...... I am pulling my investment out, and never never never bringing another client in to He.Net.

The CEO is Mike Leber. I have spoken to him a few times over the years. I know he's a bit of nimrod.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult, it's all remedial questions asked... if you can pass this them you're as genius as their CEO. Basically HS educational level work.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Hurricane Electric

Interview Details – After being called in for some ridiculous testing process for an admin position; and arriving 15 minutes early I and another interviewer were finally shown upstairs 20 minutes after we our appointment time (really?) We were instructed by I assume "Tiffany Leber" to turn over our resumes and take a seat at one of the 50 or so computers in the room and begin testing. Which was grammar and basic mathematics (problem solving). BUT, during the testing she (Tiffany) proceeded to make calls to other candidates: WHICH was quite annoying! Needless to say this is not a position I would want with such a person helping make the choices in hiring people. My guess is their retention rate is low.

Interview Question – No questions: told we'd hear back if they are interested.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

Interviewed at Hurricane Electric

Interview Details – Applied to the company through a job ad/recruiter. The company requires you to provide both college and high school transcripts, plus SAT/ACT scores. Once those are processed, testing followed, all done through a multiple choice electronic test. Questions included, networking concepts/hardware, Math/boolean logic, SQL, and C/Perl concepts. After that, I was called back to have a basic interview, with a programming exercise. Offered a job on the spot.

Interview Question – Nothing surprising   Answer Question

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hurricane Electric in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on Craigslist to a very vague job description. Got a call from the HR Assistant literally five minutes after emailing my resume, asking me to come in for a screening test, instructing me to "dress casually" and informing me that it would "just be a test." The test consisted of mechanical logic, problem solving (math), business grammar and vocabulary; there were about ten other people testing at the same time and it looked as if they have a stream of people continually coming in every day to test and interview.

After the test the HR Manager, who was administering the test, unexpectedly pulled me into a conference room adjacent to the testing area and asked the typical HR interview questions, "What do you know about this company?," "Why do you want to work here?," "What did and didn't you like about your previous jobs," "What are your career goals?," etc. At the end of the interview she gave me her card and told me to email her my SAT scores and college transcripts, and that "While you may not be a good fit for this position, I have other positions opening up soon which you'll probably be qualified for." She said they needed SAT scores and college transcripts because they "require all employees to go through training which requires calculus," and that scores and transcripts would give them a better idea about my prior performance in mathematical subjects, and hence a surety of my ability to complete the training. (Even though I had literally just taken a test which included a math section, and despite that the job description indicated absolutely nothing about knowing calculus, being good at math, or even being a college graduate.)

I sent her screenshots of my SAT scores, ordered and sent transcripts from all universities I had attended, which took about two weeks. Afterwards she emailed me saying that the "Hiring manager is requesting copies of your high school transcripts." (Pretty extraordinary request, after all I had already given them, but, again, I assumed that the reason she gave about "calculus" was abiding with this request as well.) I ordered a copy of my high school transcripts and sent them to her. I never heard from her again, even after a follow-up email. Lots of work to do (and money spent) just to end up being ignored, but that's pretty typical these days, isn't it?

I've now (five months later) seen the same job ad re-posted on Craigslist every three weeks.

Interview Question – What did you and didn't you like about your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Mathematician Developer Interview

Mathematician Developer

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Hurricane Electric.

Interview Details – Responded to an ad on craigslist. Contacted me within a few days, scheduled a testing. Test was multiple choice on computers, question range from simple algebra, PERL, SQL, C syntax, binary to hex/decimal conversions, simple network acronyms. etc.

The job description is very vague its not really a developer position so don't get your hopes up, you'll probably end up in the lobby as a receptionist.

Interview Question – The test consisted of basic questions. Syntax questions.   Answer Question

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hurricane Electric in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the job via email and received a call within the hour to go in for a placement test. They suggested that the test would take up to 2 hours to complete. I finished first among my group and the test proctor showed my results in the next room and we discussed my resume. Later that day, I received an email with a request for more information. I needed to verify a question before I could get that information and it was incredibly difficult to get ahold of the HR person to get the question answered. It took more than a week for her to respond.

Interview Question – The section on mechanical awareness was difficult due to the pictures sometimes being confusing.   Answer Question

Fremont, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Hurricane Electric in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for the job on craigslist.com and got an email follow up 2 days later setting up a time to go in and take a test. The test consisted of common sense, basic math, vocabulary, grammar, and synonyms. Not hard at all but I still don't understand why I never got a call back for an in person interview! I also think they should email people back telling them they weren't selected because of what ever reason..

Interview Question – Be sure to study up on words?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Hurricane Electric.

Interview Details – Their interviewing process really sucks. I was called for a prescreening test at their headquarters in Fremont for the web developer position. Test took almost 2hrs , it mainly covered basics of C, SQL ,algebra, networking ,perl -all of them were objective type questions. Later in the evening , I received an email saying " after reviewing my test scores ( they don't give you the scores) background and qualifications you are not a good match for this position at this time however you can apply for the administrative assistant position and take same kind of test again " lol, really! I can understand if they had given me my test scores and said I scored less and I am not selected . That would have been reasonable.I have been a web developer for the past 3 years and when they say my profile doesn't match that of a web developer , why the hell did they call me for the test in the first place ... wasting 2 hours of time , energy and at the end send this kind of an email. Really annoying and unprofessional interviewing process.

Interview Question – Very easy test , abbreviations in networking , conventions from binary to hex , dec in math , syntax in C and perl .   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Hurricane Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hurricane Electric interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hurricane Electric employees and interview candidates.