Hy-Vee

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Hy-Vee

Interview Details – This is your standard interview. You go in. They ask you simple questions. If you answer them appropriately, they will hire you. Make sure you are on time, and respectful. Mention the helpful smile in every aisle for bonus points. First you will probably have an interview with a supervisor, then a manager. Do well on both, and wala!

Negotiation Details – n/a

Very Easy Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hy-Vee in August 2011.

Interview Details – Very friendly and everything was up front and informative including my starting pay and when I was supposed to receive raises and how much to expect.

Interview Question – Is there anything in your life you'd change if you had the chance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't have to negotiate at all it was nice :)

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hy-Vee in September 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone, did an interview with a manager, then got called for a second interview with the store director, immediately after the second interview they gave me a drug test and then i got a call a few days later to come in to go over paperwork and fill out availability sheets with 5 other new employees.

Interview Question – Interview questions were pretty basic. Why should we hire you, tell us about yourself, etc. It was a one on one interview, very casual and they were very friendly.   Answer Question

Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Hy-Vee in January 2010.

Interview Details – I have applied and follow up my application which did help. they definitely knew that i wanted the job and i am willing to do my best because anytime i came in i showed motivation and determination. i was called for an interview after the third follow up. and have been offered the job the same day. which was so nice and wonderful.

Interview Question – tell us about yourself? why do ypou want to work at hy-vee? have you ever had a customer service experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not negociable.

Independence, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hy-Vee in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website which is the only way you can do it now. I also had to take a personality test online as part of the process. 23 days later I called Customer Service to follow up and they said they would be calling for interviews in a couple days. I received a call for an interview.

I went upstairs to the employees area and had my interview. It was my first one and afterwards I knew that it had gone very well, and the man interviewing me liked me, I could tell.

About 3 or 4 days later I received a phone call with a job offer and I accepted. I came in later that day to take a drug test. The next week I had a day of filling out paperwork and then started training.

Very Easy Interview

Des Moines, IA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hy-Vee in June 2009.

Interview Details – Very basic questions. It wasn't a very selective process.

Des Moines, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Hy-Vee in June 2011.

Interview Details – It was very easy. The only question I was really asked was to describe myself in four words. The rest of the questions were just about my education, other workplaces, availability, ect.
I was called within a few days and offered a position, but before signing any paper work I had to pass a standard urine drug test, so basically I knew right then and there I got the job.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Hy-Vee in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed at a mass hiring event held at a hotel lobby. I was emailed a range of dates and told to attend any time on one of the dates. I arrived, signed in and was told to have a seat. About ten minutes later I was lead to conference room where I seat down one and one. The interviewer was very nice and the interview was pretty basic, standard industry type questions. It lasted about ten minutes. I was then taken to another room and given a second interview one-on-one with similar type questions.

Immediately after the second interview she told me I could be a cashier if I wanted, but she still had several open jobs and I could pick one of them. I chose Frozen Food, simply because I like to be active it seemed the most physically challenging job.

After the offer I had to fill out some paperwork and take a drug test.

Overall it was a simple process and fairly stress-free. Everyone was nice and none of the questions were particularly challenging.

It was only for a part time hourly job, however I have always believed in wearing suits to interviews. When I arrived, I noticed I was the only person out of 10-20 who was wearing a suit.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years at our company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered $8.50/hr. Based on my research, the wage seemed comparable to other businesses in the area for similar jobs. The person setting the wage did not seem open to negotiation, so I did not ask. In speaking with other employees in training, everyone seems to be making more or less the same.

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at Hy-Vee in May 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out an online application. Within a week I was called in for an interview. I was interviewed by the personnel manager for the main store. The position was for a part time job for the early morning shift at Hy-Vee gas station. It was a one on one interview. She asked me about past jobs and why I wanted to work at Hy-Vee.

Interview Question – This job starts at 5AM , how important is it to be on time at work?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hy-Vee

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hy-Vee Cashier interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Hy-Vee employees and interview candidates.