Hy-Vee Cashier Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

2.0

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Interview

I went in and asked for an application form. I turned it in and had my interview the next week. I accepted the position and went immediately into a brief training session. It was a very simple process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hy-Vee

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hy-Vee (Springfield, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was direct and short. I met with the personnel manager for a quick interview and store tour. I am sure for a lot of people it is a longer process, but for me, it was very quick. I think they were in desperate need of cashiers at the time.

Cashier Interview

Interview

This is your standard interview. You go in. They ask you simple questions. If you answer them appropriately, they will hire you. Make sure you are on time, and respectful. Mention the helpful smile in every aisle for bonus points. First you will probably have an interview with a supervisor, then a manager. Do well on both, and wala!

Negotiation

n/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hy-Vee (Kansas City, MO) in August 2011.

Interview

Very friendly and everything was up front and informative including my starting pay and when I was supposed to receive raises and how much to expect.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything in your life you'd change if you had the chance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't have to negotiate at all it was nice :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hy-Vee (Des Moines, IA) in June 2011.

Interview

It was very easy. The only question I was really asked was to describe myself in four words. The rest of the questions were just about my education, other workplaces, availability, ect.
    I was called within a few days and offered a position, but before signing any paper work I had to pass a standard urine drug test, so basically I knew right then and there I got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Hy-Vee (Kansas City, MO) in May 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed at a mass hiring event held at a hotel lobby. I was emailed a range of dates and told to attend any time on one of the dates. I arrived, signed in and was told to have a seat. About ten minutes later I was lead to conference room where I seat down one and one. The interviewer was very nice and the interview was pretty basic, standard industry type questions. It lasted about ten minutes. I was then taken to another room and given a second interview one-on-one with similar type questions.

Immediately after the second interview she told me I could be a cashier if I wanted, but she still had several open jobs and I could pick one of them. I chose Frozen Food, simply because I like to be active it seemed the most physically challenging job.

After the offer I had to fill out some paperwork and take a drug test.

Overall it was a simple process and fairly stress-free. Everyone was nice and none of the questions were particularly challenging.

It was only for a part time hourly job, however I have always believed in wearing suits to interviews. When I arrived, I noticed I was the only person out of 10-20 who was wearing a suit.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years at our company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered $8.50/hr. Based on my research, the wage seemed comparable to other businesses in the area for similar jobs. The person setting the wage did not seem open to negotiation, so I did not ask. In speaking with other employees in training, everyone seems to be making more or less the same.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hy-Vee (Dubuque, IA) in October 2010.

Interview

Very easy, calm process. Just a casual conversation about myself, and how the job would work for me. Was asked about working with people, asking what i enjoy doing in my free time, making sure i had transportation to the workplace.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee in October 2010.

Interview

Interview with HR manager who at the time was not very organized so he forgot he had hired and scheduled me and it took longer to get into things but today it is a much better process

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee in September 2010.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone, did an interview with a manager, then got called for a second interview with the store director, immediately after the second interview they gave me a drug test and then i got a call a few days later to come in to go over paperwork and fill out availability sheets with 5 other new employees.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were pretty basic. Why should we hire you, tell us about yourself, etc. It was a one on one interview, very casual and they were very friendly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hy-Vee (Independence, MO) in August 2010.

Interview

I applied online through their website which is the only way you can do it now. I also had to take a personality test online as part of the process. 23 days later I called Customer Service to follow up and they said they would be calling for interviews in a couple days. I received a call for an interview.

I went upstairs to the employees area and had my interview. It was my first one and afterwards I knew that it had gone very well, and the man interviewing me liked me, I could tell.

About 3 or 4 days later I received a phone call with a job offer and I accepted. I came in later that day to take a drug test. The next week I had a day of filling out paperwork and then started training.