Hy-Vee Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.0

Store Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Applied online, phone interview, then interview in person followed by drug test. HR person was kind of disorganized, returned my call two weeks after initial phone interview. He was very friendly though, and the interview was easy to chat with him.

Dairy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Prairie Village, Johnson, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prairie Village, Johnson, KS

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hy-Vee in March 2011.

Initial phone interview followed by in person interview. Following this there was a drug test and a tour. Nothing was too difficult, very simple interview, they were happy with me being someone who had interacted in customer service many times before.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you like to work for Hy-Vee?   View Answer
    I suggested 8$ and hour and they actually upped it to $9.50/hr initially there was a $0.50 raise per 6 months with a good review, store director took that off and added a small bonus every quarter

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Iowa City, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hy-Vee in April 2013.

After submitting a resume and applying online I recommend going in person and meeting with your store director face-to-face. If you get a call they will set up an interview at the store with usually an operations manager and store director. Read up on the core values of the business which can be found on their website. Questions are pretty basic, they want to know your short and long term goals and why you would be a great fit for them. Energetic, outgoing, responsible people will make the best fit.

Interview Questions
    • What does 'being socially responsible' mean to you?   View Answer
    Standard

Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hy-Vee.

HR person was very friendly and outgoing. Standard questions about what I like to do and what my experience was. (I am an experienced mgt. person) Wanted to know my goals or expectations with company. I have been in her spot so knew the proper replies and I also knew what I wanted to go for; a specific management job. So I told her that I would start par-time hourly and prove myself.

This line of business means you really have to like dealing with people.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hy-Vee in October 2010.

Interview with HR manager who at the time was not very organized so he forgot he had hired and scheduled me and it took longer to get into things but today it is a much better process

Dairy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Hy-Vee in December 2013.

First impressions from Hy-Vee were pretty poor. It took me a month to finally interview. The HR at this location was extremely disorganized. When I finally showed up for the interview, he and the dairy manager were not even at the store, and I had to wait for 30 minutes to get managers from different departments of the store to interview me. And it was the single most un-professional interview I have ever been a part of, where the two managers had conversations, and answered phone calls while I waited in silence.

Interview Questions
    • There truly weren't that many questions to even sort through, and none of them were even slightly difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Hy-Vee in February 2010.

There was a mass hiring at a local hotel. There were at least 10 individuals conducting interviews. I feel that it was a little unprofessional. It seemed rushed as the interviewer had to hurry and interview more people.

Meat Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Hy-Vee in April 2014.

Not done in timely fashion, the interviewer seemed distracted and had piles of materials on desk and on floor. Made limited eye contact. Room was a bit stuff. No formal chair for me to sit in not a totally proper line of sight.

Interview Questions
    • None. Just the level of how far back it was to answer the ?.   Answer Question

The feeling in the office, I had worked at other HyVee's and enjoyed them.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Osceola, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Osceola, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Online application is the first step once you get a call back you will be asked to come in for an interview. If considered for the job you will be asked to take a drug screen and if passed you will then be put on the scehdule.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of outstanding customer service you've given recently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dubuque, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Hy-Vee in October 2010.

Very easy, calm process. Just a casual conversation about myself, and how the job would work for me. Was asked about working with people, asking what i enjoy doing in my free time, making sure i had transportation to the workplace.

Interview Questions

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!