Hy-Vee Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.0

Store Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Applied online, phone interview, then interview in person followed by drug test. HR person was kind of disorganized, returned my call two weeks after initial phone interview. He was very friendly though, and the interview was easy to chat with him.

Assistant Manager (Full Time) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux City, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux City, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee in September 2014.

I applied as an internal candidate through the company intranet (I work on the overnight shift as a stocker). I spoke with my store manager and one of the middle managers as well as my immediate superior before applying, as is store policy. I was called around two weeks later and interviewed that very morning by two middle managers. Overall the interview was quite easy and fairly low pressure. I was asked to describe in detail what I do in my current position, and if I thought I could lead my current department and why. I was also asked the standard strengths and weaknesses questions. I was not offered the position, but I believe that had as much to do with management wanting to keep me on nights with the holidays coming up quickly as it did with my readiness for the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if there was anyone who could replace me in my current position.   View Answer

Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

HR person was very friendly and outgoing. Standard questions about what I like to do and what my experience was. (I am an experienced mgt. person) Wanted to know my goals or expectations with company. I have been in her spot so knew the proper replies and I also knew what I wanted to go for; a specific management job. So I told her that I would start par-time hourly and prove myself.

This line of business means you really have to like dealing with people.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Osceola, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Osceola, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

Online application is the first step once you get a call back you will be asked to come in for an interview. If considered for the job you will be asked to take a drug screen and if passed you will then be put on the scehdule.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of outstanding customer service you've given recently.   Answer Question

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hy-Vee in May 2014.

There was one interview. It only took about 10 minutes. The HR manager asked really simple questions that were easy to answer. You don't need to worry. I didn't even apply for this position,but was offered it. I didn't need any experience for this position. Once you pass the drug test, you're done and the rest is easy.

Interview Questions
    • None really. What can you bring to Hy-vee? What is Hy-vee?   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

The store director interviewed me himself. I felt extremely comfortable and welcome as soon as we shook hands. Questions asked were as expected. I heard back within the week that I had received the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do when faced with an angry, irrational customer?   Answer Question

Bakery Clerk Interview

I did not have an interview. I called the manager to check on the status of my application and she had me come in the next day to fill out the paperwork.

The manager told me I would be making $8.00 per hour.

Meat Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee in April 2014.

Not done in timely fashion, the interviewer seemed distracted and had piles of materials on desk and on floor. Made limited eye contact. Room was a bit stuff. No formal chair for me to sit in not a totally proper line of sight.

Interview Questions
    • None. Just the level of how far back it was to answer the ?.   Answer Question

The feeling in the office, I had worked at other HyVee's and enjoyed them.

Produce Clerk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

Approached by management after displaying exceptional customer service and efficiency skills as a cashier/front room worker. Rewarded for hard work and positive attitude by working in one of the higher paying departments.

Interview Questions
    • "Who do you know that works here?" Was an initial question I got. It's very much about who you know first at Hy-Vee to get in, at least if you're starting without any shred of experience.   Answer Question

Bakery Clerk Interview

Online application

Interview Questions
    • How have you previously handled a disagreement with a co-worker?   Answer Question