Hy-Vee

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

1.9

Kitchen Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

I applied online for a few positions. A few days later, I received a call asking if I could possibly work in the kitchen instead of the positions I applied for, and was invited for an interview three hours later. We discussed why I think Hy-Vee would be good for me and I received an offer on the spot and took a drug test. Once the results came in, I was invited to orientation in a week.

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

I submitted an application online in which I listed all of my employers in the last 10 years. Afterwards, I completed another online assessment. Within 24 hours, I received a phone call for an interview. The interview itself was quick- around 10 questions or so. I received a call back less than a week later.

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hy-Vee in January 2015.

I applied online on a Sunday and got a call on the very next Monday. I came in for an interview on Tuesday and was hired that day. I was basically hired in the blink of an eye. And I am only 16 years old. This is my first job, and I don't think I want to go anywhere else.

Interview Questions
    • Clerk- If you are on a task, and someone asks where something is, do you point to the aisle or take them there?   View Answer

Night Stock Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Applied online, interviewed with store manager. Offered position. No run around straight forward.
    Nothing out of a normal interview. When applying online you will be asked questions regarding honesty, team work etc. drug test required.
    You accept the pay and really can't negotiate. Straight forward answers to my questions when asked. All went well and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Hy-Vee. What can you bring to Hy-Vee   Answer Question
    Accept it, no negotiating .

Night Stocker Interview

Was quick and to the point. Manager asked basic questions. Told me starting wage. We went over scheduling options. Then he offered me job. Set up drug test date for next day

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you will be a good fit for hyvee?   Answer Question
    None

C Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Pretty laid back like they already filled the position. They didn't all any serious questions. The job was closed for a week before they called to set up the interviews and then rescheduled because the director had a family situation.

Dietetics Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

I contacted the Dietitian intially via e-mail. She responded to me and needed a few days to talk with her Store Director if a 4-month Intern would be acceptable. I was scheduled for an interview, she was very flexible. She asked very basic interview questions (why do you want this position, tell me about a time you were in a difficult situation with co-worker/classmate, ect.)

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest nutrition fad at the moment? (Unexpected)   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

Applied online, phone interview, then interview in person followed by drug test. HR person was kind of disorganized, returned my call two weeks after initial phone interview. He was very friendly though, and the interview was easy to chat with him.

Assistant Manager (Full Time) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sioux City, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Sioux City, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee in September 2014.

I applied as an internal candidate through the company intranet (I work on the overnight shift as a stocker). I spoke with my store manager and one of the middle managers as well as my immediate superior before applying, as is store policy. I was called around two weeks later and interviewed that very morning by two middle managers. Overall the interview was quite easy and fairly low pressure. I was asked to describe in detail what I do in my current position, and if I thought I could lead my current department and why. I was also asked the standard strengths and weaknesses questions. I was not offered the position, but I believe that had as much to do with management wanting to keep me on nights with the holidays coming up quickly as it did with my readiness for the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if there was anyone who could replace me in my current position.   View Answer

Kitchen Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hy-Vee in August 2014.

I went through 2 interviews, one with the HR mgr and one with the department mgr. It was a fairly quick process. I had my first interview the day after I got the call, the second was a day later. I was in paid orientation within the same week I was interviewed. The process did not take long to get me out on the floor training. And they worked around my schedule from my previous employer as I was still working my last two weeks there.