Hy-Vee

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

1.9

Produce Clerk Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

Approached by management after displaying exceptional customer service and efficiency skills as a cashier/front room worker. Rewarded for hard work and positive attitude by working in one of the higher paying departments.

Interview Questions
    • "Who do you know that works here?" Was an initial question I got. It's very much about who you know first at Hy-Vee to get in, at least if you're starting without any shred of experience.   Answer Question

Bakery Clerk Interview

Online application

Interview Questions
    • How have you previously handled a disagreement with a co-worker?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

This is your standard interview. You go in. They ask you simple questions. If you answer them appropriately, they will hire you. Make sure you are on time, and respectful. Mention the helpful smile in every aisle for bonus points. First you will probably have an interview with a supervisor, then a manager. Do well on both, and wala!

n/a

Full Time Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

HR manager called to set up interview. There was only one interview with store director. Very basic questions, nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you have had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. This is what we are offering.

Salad Bar Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

I illed out an application at 10PM, got a call for the interview the next day at 1PM. It was an easy interview and I took a drug test at the end and was training by the end of the week.

Interview Questions
    • They were all standard interview questions, nothing too tricky.   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hy-Vee in January 2014.

There is an application online, followed by a short questionnaire (I'm guessing to help them determine your personality type). If your application seems fitting for a position they need filled they will call, and pestering them until then won't change a thing. You have to be legal and have SSN. The interview itself was a piece of cake, but let's be honest - they are not looking for rocket scientists. You can expect typical questions including: where do you see yourself in 5 years, what is your attitude towards punctuality, why should we hire you and so on. What they are looking for are friendly, open people who are approachable and are not afraid to strike up a conversation. Provided you've passed the interview which is usually pretty apparent you will be asked to come back for a drug test - it is a standard practice, after which you will be participating in a 2 hour orientation meeting. A short training will ensue.

Interview Questions
    • To me the most difficult question was about the most difficult aspects of my former jobs.   Answer Question
    I didn't really negotiate, however I did ask what are the opportunity for raises. (they are considered after a year of service) My hourly rate was 9.50 which I considered fair given the scope of my responsibilities.

Dairy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Hy-Vee in December 2013.

First impressions from Hy-Vee were pretty poor. It took me a month to finally interview. The HR at this location was extremely disorganized. When I finally showed up for the interview, he and the dairy manager were not even at the store, and I had to wait for 30 minutes to get managers from different departments of the store to interview me. And it was the single most un-professional interview I have ever been a part of, where the two managers had conversations, and answered phone calls while I waited in silence.

Interview Questions
    • There truly weren't that many questions to even sort through, and none of them were even slightly difficult.   Answer Question

Full-Time Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Hy-Vee.

The two who interviewed me was bias and had no intentions on giving me a fair chance in the interview process. They had full intentions on limiting me to being a part-time worker for the entire duration of my job career at Hy-vee. Absolutely terrible!

Interview Questions
    • What is the sales percentage of the store and department and what is the percentage between fresh and frozen inventory. There was no way I could have known that information as a part-time employee seeking full-time employment.   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hy-Vee in October 2013.

Went in, asked some questions from a piece of paper, why do you want to work for hyvee, what are some things you are willing to do so you can make your job easier.

Stocker Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hy-Vee.

Easy interview. Not a problem just be cool and honest.