Hyatt Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.5

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hyatt (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

HR process was very disorganized. I had to deal with two different recruiters, and the communication was horrible. Once I made it through that gauntlet and was able to talk to real employees, the process was great.

Interview Questions

• The global head of technology asked me so many difficult and thoughtful questions I can't recall most of them. Many were around my hobbies, dreams and aspirations. I left the interview so inspired I have never wanted a job so badly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not a lot of negotiation. Incredible environment to work in.

Gallery Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Hyatt (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

I received a call from a HR rep a few weeks ago about an "open call" for the Hyatt for the Gallery Host position. I get to the Hotel and first off the front desk associates didn't even know there was an "open call" to begin with so that's a red flag. Staff that isn't knowledgable about what's going on is a huge No No. I go upstairs and it's not an open call it's just me and another guy interviewing for the same position. I agree to interview first and go into a conference room where I am to be interviewed by 3 managers at the same time (the female HR Rep), an Indian manager (I'm sure he's the front desk supervisor) and another guy who sat across the table from me. The interview went well for the first 3 minutes then turned into a slight tirade about my capabilities for working for the company and pretty much I listened to them tell me why I wouldn't be a good fit. The Indian manager was on his phone the ENTIRE interview and only looked up to ask me a stupid question that had nothing to do with the interview. Second red flag here, if you weren't interested in interviewing me and I was boring then why even show up or have me show up? The other male manager kept asking me about my college career and other career opportunities then proceeded to tell me that the interview was a waste of time since I had other career goals I wanted to meet that I received my degree in. The third red flag was the management team making it seem as though my degree wasn't substantial enough when they aren't aware what I went through to even complete college. The last red flag was that one of the managers didn't even know the difference between a Bachelors of Arts and a Bachelors of Science. That threw me for a loop because how can you be a manager and have a degree yourself and not be aware of the two? I wouldn't recommend this place solely based on the staff and the lack of diversity. All of the minorities (Black and Hispanic) work as room service or where no one can really see them while the White and Asians work the front desk. I'm almost 100% sure I didn't receive the position based on my skin color due to being Black because I had perfect references and a solid work history.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel this interview is a waste of time since you have other career goals in mind?   Answer Question

Front Office Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hyatt in September 2012.

Interview

Expect up to three interviews. First with Front Office Manager, then Rooms Executive, and finally GM. Go in with a smile. You will not get hired if you don't smile.

Interview Questions

• One of the more difficult questions was, "give an instance of a time when there was a conflict with a coworker, client, guest, ect... How did you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Guest Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Hyatt (San Francisco, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

This was a typical hotel management round of interviews, in this order: HR Assistant Director, Rooms Division Manager, Front Office Manager & Reservations/PBX Manager (Peer Interview), and lastly the General Manager with the Rooms Manager present. All hotel interviews took place in one long day of interviews. I was probably there for about 3.5 hours. The interviewers seemed most interested in my work/hospitality philosophy and practices than any technical or specific managerial skills.

Negotiation

The only non-negotiable offer I have ever received

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Hyatt (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I walked into the HR office with my resume in hand. I had applied for a front office position and wanted to follow up. I had been rejected for several positions and had even done a phone interview for another position that I was not offered. It just so happened that there was an opening in HR and that my bilingual qualifications were highly desirable. I interviewed on the spot and was offered shortly after.

Interview Questions

• It was honestly a blur. The whole experience was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't accept on the spot. I slept on it and asked for slightly more.

Security Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Hyatt (Huntington Beach, CA).

Interview

Started with an open, cattle call style interview. In the process I met with the dept head and HR rep in seperate interviews. After passing that round, there was an interview with the director

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   1 Answer

Corporate Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Hyatt (Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)) in February 2011.

Interview

Total 4 rounds, entire process lasted for a month. I wasn't in China at that moment. All interview were held by Skype. Skype with HR- Training Manager, HRD, DOSM, Hotel Manager, Recruiting Director APEC.

Overnight Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Hyatt (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a position at the Andaz 5th ave, a Hyatt hotel. Took a written test that gave some simple culinary questions, then met with the chef for the interview who gave some outlandish scenarios and how I will deal with them. The Chef was quite serious about this entire process and did not really try to ease the tension in the room, which made me think twice about wanting to work under him during the interview.

Interview Questions

• If a group of important people visited for a multiple course meal, what will you cook?   Answer Question

Outlets Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Hyatt (Denver, CO) in June 2013.

Interview

I was a transfer from another property so my interview process was a little different. - Received a call the same day as I applied - Interviewed 2 days later for the position - Interviewed with GM, F&B Director, Outlets Director, and Assistant Outlets Manager - Interview itself was smooth but long, took approx. 4 hours

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your favorite wines and why you like them?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Took 3 weeks and a lot of back and forth to get an offer as all managers went on vacation while trying to hire a new manager for their department. There was no negotiation on salary or benefits.

Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Incline Village, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Hyatt (Incline Village, NV) in July 2015.

Interview

Took me forever to fill out every step of the online interview. At first I couldn't get online to fill it out, so I tried talking to someone from the Hotel upfront..but couldn't contact HR department by phone or live under no conditions.They answered in a mere 1-2 days, but sadly, it was negative.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if there was a customer in a hurry, but you still have 3 tables waiting?   1 Answer