HyperInk

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HyperInk in April 2012.

This is a very small startup in a very exciting area, maybe 25 employees or so, so it took some weeks to find a free slot both for their cofounder and head of engineering and myself especially given the time zone difference. We eventually made space where we spoke initially while the poor fellow was still walking to work :)

This was the one and only time we spoke, but it was an excellent hour long conversation spanning multiple topics. Their cofounder has a depth of engineering understanding which is rare in someone so young. He would be an excellent addition to international engineering standards development, and I hope to coax him into participation in a few years time :)

Unfortunately, someone with my breadth and depth of experience wasn't really appropriate as an employee for such a small startup at their present phase of growth. Getting growth right in startups, and balancing the demands from investors against good engineering and against the difficulties of getting the right talent at the right time are immense and most startups fail to get this right. From the hour long conversation I had, much of which centered on growth strategies (I used to teach business and startup theory at university, and run startup incubators with the students), if there is any company that is going to make it it will be this one.

In short, outstanding management, and a deep understanding of how to bring a startup to success. Very impressive.

Interview Questions
  • How to grow a Silicon Valley startup into a multi-billion dollar industry   View Answer