Hyves

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hyves in March 2012.

Interview Details – The very FIRST thing they do after you apply, if your CV passes muster, is to give you an offline programming task where they want a model answer to a reasonably difficult problem. You get a week to complete this task.

This happens BEFORE any phone interviewing. Apparently, according to their email, this is to "filter out time wasters".

Yeah well YOU'RE wasting MY time. I don't write code for free. I charge €75-€120 an hour for bespoke programming work, and I earned a lot of money last year. The very least you can do is to let me talk to one of your people your end to make sure I'm not wasting my time on a company who apparently so distrusts its potential employees it slaps them in the face right at the start of the application.

Interview Question – Some sort of RESTful web service (I can't remember specifically) to be implemented in PHP to be submitted within a week   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I withdrew my application pretty much straight away. There are plenty of more agreeable fish in the sea. Ended up with a North American multinational actually, am moving there this summer.

Worked for Hyves? Contribute to the Community!