Teach for America

www.teachforamerica.org

Interview Question

Corps Member Interview New York, NY

I had to role-play a situation where my principal would not

allow my students to take home library materials in order to finish research for their term papers (4th grade... I was being ambitious. ;-) My goal was to convince her to let them have more access to the materials.
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

I described the situation and asked her to clarify it for me. I then asked for her advice (huge in education administration), and adapted her statements to fit within a plan that would allow my students to have the books in the classroom.

Essentially, I led the principal to thinking that she had helped me to develop the answer, which created buy-in. When I offered to do all the leg work with the librarian, she had a win-win situation (and so did I).

My interviewer was very impressed that I could both flatter the principal, "seek her advice," and still get what my kids needed. She said that my ability to speak through this negotiation process and how I approached the situation was more important than my actual answer. I.E. how you think is more important, because that means you'll be able to solve the problems that come up as you teach.

Interview Candidate on Apr 12, 2009

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.