IATA Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IATA (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

-Applied online. I submitted a cover letter and my resume
    -HR then called me to set up an interview a few weeks after
    -First I was Interviewed by someone from HR
    -The I was interview a week later by the hiring manager
    -Then I was hired after completing an online personality test

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at IATA (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

Several interviews by phone, one in the Geneva IATA office. At the first interviews they explained which kind of projects they have, which kid of person they would like to hire, they was asking about my experience in the field.

Interview Questions

• They asking me about experience in building interfaces for web application/   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at IATA.

Interview

A phone interview followed by a face to face.
    The phone interview was mainly technical and described the job details
    The face to face was more around motivation to apply, describing the work environment & what to expect.
    Very professional atmosphere and staff.
    Direct questions, friendly staff and overall a very positive environment.
    Overall, one comes saying: I want to work here

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IATA.

Interview

I got the phone interview around one month after the application. It was around half an hour and asking me some general questions.

How much do you know about IATA ?
    What can you bring to the team ?
    What is important for you in this work ?
    Do you apply for other companies ? What if other companies give your offer ?

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IATA in June 2014.

Interview

Five managers facing you, ask you many different quesitons for about an hour. Each has a laptop with them. Perform pretty well besides the stress you get. Quesitons are not hard, mostly very nice questions. A simple task to do. That's it.

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult question, a task to do   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Interview

Best if you have a network in the organisation. The HR may not work very quickly due to the nature of their business but through a contact, I was able to get my CV and Cover letter directly to the HR. Within a fortnight, I received an email inviting me for an interview, which can be done either by phone or face-to-face, and in a very open and friendly fashion. The HR manager will be accompanied by the Head of that particular team you are keen to join. All they want is to know the candidate better.

Interview Questions

• They really were interested in the jobs I did beforehand and my qualifications. Asked about what I learnt in university that would apply to the job here. They asked why I did not want to pursue a more professional position given my professional qualifications.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, as an intern allowance at IATA is fixed. In Singapore, this is the gross salary and the candidate gets an additional 16% on top of this allowance into the pension fund.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IATA in March 2014.

Interview

There were four stages of the interview. FIrst one - phone conversation like "why us", "what do you know about us" etc. Secon - skype interview, took like 40 min, a bit more detailed, more about company, about relations with ICAO etc. Third - online interpersonal skills test. Forth - refference check.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between ICAO and IATA - in relation to who they are related to, and on what terms work they do.   Answer Question

I managed to find another, permanent job long before whole process ended.

Safety Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IATA (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in April 2010.

Interview

I applied, they contacted me and set up an interview. There were a bunch of people, mostly women, in the open office area on the way to the interview room. One of them must have been rooting for me as she smiled broadly at me as I passed by. The interview was unremarkable enough, usual things to ask. One guy really didn't get me though, he was argumentative, and couldn't understand why I would want to leave where I was. He also must have been told at the last second that he was to be in on the interview, as he very obviously hadn't read my resume. There was also a very senior fellow and a HR lady, all of them born outside Canada, which meant that they didn't always get my background or how my employer operated. We discussed everything, money included. The dismissive fellow said that I would terribly bored and shouldn't take the job. The senior one said that it was "premature" for me to be asking if they wanted to see a portfolio of my work. They promised to call, gave me a phone extension to check with them, never told me their names, and that was it. I called a week later but was put through to a dead extension, then transferred to someone not in HR who had no idea what I was talking about. Did some research later, as I couldn't figure out why the hot/cold: old neighbour worked there, got along great, had a falling out.

Interview Questions

• None, all pretty standard, hard part was just connecting with them.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IATA in July 2012.

Interview

I applied for an internship in the Amman, Jordan office after receiving a special invitation via an alumni connection at my university. A month later, I received an email reply from the alumni connection (an IATA HR staff member) informing me that the position for the internship had already been filled, but that he had looked at my resume and thought I could be a great fit for a fulltime Customer Service position.

We scheduled a skype interview and I was impressed with the HR guy's willingness to spend an hour talking with me. He even assured me that people came to IATA from all sorts of professional backgrounds, and that I should not be discouraged by my previous non-profit experience. We ended the conversation positively with the HR guy asking me to email him my university diploma and a list of references. He would forward my materials onto the team manager in Amman, who would lead the next interview.

I emailed all the requested materials and patiently waited. After a week, I followed up and the HR guy told me the team manager had a personal issue to attend to and wouldn't be working for the rest of the week. I wrote back promising to touch base the following week. I wrote a week later, no response. I wrote again the next week, no response. I wrote each week for a month before finally accepting another job offer.

As I had been essentially "recruited" from an internship application to apply for a full-time position, the experience was a let down. I just wish the HR guy could have been honest and not wasted my time if something came up to delay the process or if he wasn't seriously considering hiring me. This type of communication signals a lack of transparency and integrity.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IATA (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in February 2008.

Interview

Very haphazard, disorganized and poorly administered.

Negotiation

No negotiations. Take it or leave it.