IBISWorld Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.7

Account Manager Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day about an interview. I setup the time with the recruiter and two days later we spoke in-depth in regards to my experience and education. When I told her my former company went under, she laughed, and then said "sorry, I guess it's not funny that you were laid off". Furthermore, she had the English vernacular of a 5th grader. I almost felt bad for her. In addition, she wasn't even prepared for the interview, she said "oh wait, what's your name again?" and then proceeded to scrummage in silence while she tried to redeem herself. When I asked what the company culture was, she paused and said "umm... hold on, and then started reading from their benefits package! I asked for culture, not whether you have medical and dental.

Interview Questions
    • There were no routine interview questions, other than "what did you do at this job, that job" etc. when clearly my qualifications and MBA were stated on my resume.

The bottom line here is that this company clearly doesn't know what they're doing. Please be very cautious.
        View Answer

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBISWorld.

Interviewed with Nima Samadi (not a woman as I had originally thought) and some english guy in the the New York office. Nima sat me in a board room and explained the timed writing exercise to me. I got 45 minutes to write 300 - 450 words, two paragraphs explaining the history, trends, significant events, growth, and performance of a soft beverage company. Overall, very easy. Next came the face to face interview. Now, I looked at all the interview reviews on this site beforehand and studied what I could about interest rates, emerging, dying, and regulated industries, and inflation. Too bad only a couple of the questions I was faced with pertained to those categories. I was assailed with ridiculous questions about the airline industry predominantly. Now, because I'm not horribly familiar with this particular industry, of course the interview was a flop. I guess they can ask about any industry and its hard to answer correctly without knowing the industry well, beyond understanding general economic concepts. Even after you give an answer they, expect you to list more and more reasons. Literally, I had answered a question with two answers and the engllish guy was like "well just keep listing reasons until you're exhausted", seriously? Kind of ridiculous. We could sit there all day and list reasons or factors that affect an industry if we stretch and explain it enough. My best advice, read economic books like the armchair economist or the naked economist. These books cover a wide range of economic issues and industries and contain some thought exercises, so they will help get you in the right mind set. Overall the space seemed cool, its in the trump building on wall st, the atmosphere was relaxed. By the way, most of the job is updating current reports to keep them modern. There is no writing 20 - 30 page reports in a week, that was in their CA office when they were opening up and they needed to produce something in a hurry to sell.

Interview Questions
    • What are some macro-economic factors that would affect tourists demand to travel to the U.S.   View Answer

Client Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBISWorld.

Would've been a good experience, had it not been for a crabby old narrow-minded woman walking the line of discrimination. Phone screen was fine, first interview was okay, they like if you basically had same exact role elsewhere. Third interview some piece of work was rude and ignorant about what brought me back in "after failing to secure the role on previous interview" they had brought me in to try for same role in diff dept. She basically flirted with discrimination when she brought up my age in relation to her age and number of companies I was at compared to her being twice my age and at one place for her whole life, which I was only at 3 btw... quite common if you enter the job market in 2008 at the peak of the economic collapse. Depends who you interview with, some people were good, but I didn't appreciate the way I was judged and treated by this one senior woman. They don't care if you've been laid off because your industry was affected by economy, they love to see if you had same title in other company, and if you were at one company for a long time without any gaps. Unrealistic way to hire in this day & age. After a few rounds of interviews they give you a writing assignment scenario. It's an easy assignment if you're good at writing. I know it's an easy assignment since HR somehow emailed me an entire thread of emails between them and the "top candidate" they were on verge of hiring. His sample wasn't even that good, but he got hired since he had a job with same title for 8 years at one company. He also possibly met a diversity goal they were going for, whereas I'm just a young caucasian with 2 minor gaps in employment from the worst economy since the great depression, my writing sample would've kicked his butt. They have a narrow-minded hiring process, either you fit their mold or not. They are insecure about your length of employment in past, since they want you to stay as long as possible. Good Luck out there, folks.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard/straight forward. Strengths/Weakness, KPI's you were held to at previous job, etc. Dumbest question I was ever asked on interview: "What is an industry?" sounds more like a response in the game of Jeopardy than an interview question. It's relevant to their business, but it's a silly thing to ask. I assume it's to see how you define it and how you articulate your response.   Answer Question

Editorial & Layout Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at IBISWorld.

Applied through Linkedin and had a phone interview. Was not difficult, mostly wanted to learn about past work experience, and then took a copy-test that I had to finish within two hours.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBISWorld in November 2013.

I applied online and was contacted within a few days. The initial interview was not what I had expected. I prepared for behavioral questions about my work ethic, how I can contribute to the company, my past work experience, etc., however I was not asked one question about myself, my work experience, or how I can contribute to the company. I was instead asked three industry questions. I was then told I would be completing a writing test.

I received the next day a sample report and was told to write a portion of a report given some research information and the template report. I was given 8 hours, and I was contacted the next morning with an in-person interview request. I traveled to Santa Monica and was greeted by a young girl who did not make conversation at all with me while she escorted me through the floors in to a warm room with a computer and sheet of paper. I was then told I had 30 minutes to complete the test to the best of my ability, and the door was shut on me. After thirty minutes, two people came in and asked me the same industry questions I was asked during my first phone interview, then finally someone asked about me as a person and told me about their company, because gee, maybe it'd be nice to see if the company ideals and my work ethic are a match! Things went well, until I was led in to the head manager's office.

He then quizzed me on how I would write a report on Dell PCs. I was given no information about Dell PCs yet I was expected to tell him how I would advise others. The interview was both strange and highly intimidating. I attempted to make intelligent guesses on how Dell would function to answer his questions. If I was wrong, I was told, that is actually not correct, and would then be asked a question requiring additional information on the company and expected to respond. At the end, I felt fairly demolished.

They did not offer me a position, but more than that they did not feel the necessity to reach out to me to tell me that the position was not going to be offered to me. I had to email them three times over three weeks, after driving across the state to interview with them, to receive a very curt (you didn't get the job) email from the hiring manager. The interview process was progressively more and more unprofessional. Since, I have read some of the reviews from employees and it seems in line with how the work atmosphere is in general. I'm pretty glad I did not receive this position; after the interview, I decided that even if they did offer me a job, I would refuse it based on the truly unfriendly attitude of my introduction to the company and its employees.

Interview Questions
    • As explained above, I was asked in my final interview the salability of Dell PCs, with no historical information on the company, sales history, or market comparisons. I was expected to know that Dell computer chips decrease in price, and that PCs thus have gotten cheaper in time for large scale orders intended for office environments. I was not aware of the fluctuations of the PC wholesale environment, so the answer to this question was extremely difficult to construct. Also, this job was not for technological reports, it was for a position in the procurement research department for a variety of possible reporting topics, so there was truly no way for me to prepare for this.   View Answer

Industry Research Analyst Interview

Phone interview with writing assignment followed by in person interview with writing sample.

phone interview
    24 hr home essay on current performance of an industry
    in office written essay in 45 mins briefing the relevant details of a comapny
    in person interview on the same day with 3 people

Interview Questions
    • questions were exactly of the kind posted on Glassdoor, so make sure you go through all questions. It was a mix of basic economics + behavioral + industry related questions   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

First round: phone interview
    Second round: 8 hour writing test.
    Third round: excel case study, and interview

Industry Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at IBISWorld in March 2013.

Phone Interview, writing sample, in person interview. I only went through the phone interview, but they wanted people with 1-2 years experience for entry-level position with no room for salary growth and little incentive to do well at the job. The woman I spoke with indicated that salary was based on service time at the company and not performance based. She also mentioned that if you did a lot of extra work, you could get paid more, but said it wasn't always the case. Following the phone interview, I was asked to do a 1-2 page "report", analyzing a topic they would send to me. I offered to send an article I'd written for a magazine instead, but they insisted on me writing a part of a report for them. I was turned off by this and declined to continue in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • At your current job what is your research process like?   View Answer

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBISWorld.

phone interview followed by a writing assignment followed by an in person interview and second writing assignment

Interview Questions
    • They ask a ton of econ questions both in the phone interview and in person interview. They aren't too difficult and they allow you to sort of talk through them if you have a bit of trouble at first.   Answer Question

Worked for IBISWorld? Contribute to the Community!