IBISWorld Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IBISWorld (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position online and was reached out via e-mail by a HR. Went through the first step, phone interview. I do have to say the phone interview was very relax and the HR person was very pleasant and easy to talk to. You are asked some technical questions and as long as you give thoughtful answer you should be ok. All questions I had about the company were answered very well. Overall the phone interview was easy (with preparation). The second step of the process was to finish a section on a industry report, which was due in 24 hours. It is not that hard and they provide a complete one for you to see kind of what they desire. All the information to finish the report was on the report itself, you were free to use other source as well. I was not called for the last step of the process , which is a a face to face interview and another writing assignment at the offices. Over all was a pleasant experience and really enjoyed talking to the HR person. My suggestion is to look at other interview reviews and refresh yourself on financial terms/concepts.

Interview Questions

• Industries that run counter to the recession?   1 Answer
    • What effect does the US dollar exchange rate have on importation if lowered?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IBISWorld (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview: brief phone call with hr, consists of some background questions such as why ibis, as well as economics questions that have to do with interest rates, supply chain, exchange rates, barriers to entry, nominal vs real rate, profit vs revenue, elasticity, luxury goods, disposable income, taxes on income, etc... i would say looking up basic economics terms and all of the following terms would help you in the interview Second: you receive a writing prompt, and are asked to write a current performance section of an industry report. you receive a completed current performance section of another industry which you can use as an example. i would suggest looking very closely at the format and the important facts provided in the current performance section they give you third: final interview, you do a 45 min writing prompt, where answer questions in two paragraphs about a company, its products, its history, revenue, etc. then you have an interview with two guys.. they ask economics questions, which aren't difficult if you prepare ahead of time.. they did a case study with me about the airline industry, basically asking what would affect its profits, and if you had a gap in the figures of domestic flight for one year, what would you do... overall it was tense at times when i had trouble figuring out how to answer questions. nima made me feel a little uncomfortable because he was very direct about your answers being wrong or unsatisfactory, and then would make you think of a better answer, the other guy was very nice though. i'd say it definitely wasn't an easy interview, but i felt well prepared reading up on basic economics and looking through the industry reports. received a rejection a week later.

Interview Questions

• If you were missing data about us economy, where could you look that has similar figures?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IBISWorld.

Interview

I received an e-mail from the secretary regarding a scheduled phone interview. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and I was told I had to take a copy editing taste to move forward with the application process. The test was sent about 25 minutes later than the time I had agreed to but I still received a follow up call about an in-person interview. After pulling an all-nighter just to ensure that I was on my best game, I got a call the day of my schedule interview and was told that the person who had interviewed THAT day, landed the position. I felt that it was unjust to drag me throughout the process just to deny me of a face-to-face interaction with the editorial department. I was disappointed but certainly not surprised.

Interview Questions

• Please describe how you handle difficult situations at work?   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBISWorld (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Conversational, will have you attempt to sell them something, quick turn around, hired me on the spot, Lyle is a good guy and a great sales professional. had phone screen one day, was in the office the next and received offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBISWorld (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. About a week later, I was contacted for an over the phone interview which consisted of basic econ questions. After the phone interview, I had to complete a short writing assignment. I then was invited in the office for a final round interview. The final interview is a timed writing assignment and more econ questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a dying industry.   1 Answer

Industry Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBISWorld (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The position is challenging and requires you to contribute every minute of your 40-hour time week to writing industry analyst reports. However, the pay is good for an entry level position. Most of the basic interview questions you need are listed in other reviews. However, the technical questions are tricky. You really need to read a lot of IBISWorld Reports to answer those questions.

Interview Questions

• What industries/products have low/high revenue volatility? (Most questions are based on the Industry Structure part of the IBISWorld Report)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at IBISWorld (New York, NY).

Interview

Received a reply about 3 weeks after applying online. Began with a phone interview, typical interview questions as well as a section on economic/financial knowledge. Then a written assignment, had to write a portion of an industry report based on information provided; was given 24 hours to complete. The representative who guided me through the first two steps was extremely helpful, courteous, and professional. After that they scheduled an in-person interview. Was first asked to complete another written assignment, a couple hundred words in about 40 minutes, then sat down with hiring manager Nima Samadi and a senior analyst. They were very friendly and easy to speak with, made the interview very comfortable. They first asked typical interview questions such as why I was interested, strengths/weaknesses, etc, then there was a portion of economic/financial knowledge questions such as: can you name an industry that is inherently capital-intensive, what data might you look at if there is a gap in data from the U.S., name an industry that is sensitive/not sensitive to recession, questions concerning interest rates in relation to imports/exports, etc. Received a reply approximately 8 days later.

Interview Questions

• The economic knowledge questions were difficult; they were open-ended and concerned a variety of topics, you have to know your stuff.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day about an interview. I setup the time with the recruiter and two days later we spoke in-depth in regards to my experience and education. When I told her my former company went under, she laughed, and then said "sorry, I guess it's not funny that you were laid off". Furthermore, she had the English vernacular of a 5th grader. I almost felt bad for her. In addition, she wasn't even prepared for the interview, she said "oh wait, what's your name again?" and then proceeded to scrummage in silence while she tried to redeem herself. When I asked what the company culture was, she paused and said "umm... hold on, and then started reading from their benefits package! I asked for culture, not whether you have medical and dental.

Interview Questions

• There were no routine interview questions, other than "what did you do at this job, that job" etc. when clearly my qualifications and MBA were stated on my resume. The bottom line here is that this company clearly doesn't know what they're doing. Please be very cautious.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBISWorld (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with Nima Samadi (not a woman as I had originally thought) and some english guy in the the New York office. Nima sat me in a board room and explained the timed writing exercise to me. I got 45 minutes to write 300 - 450 words, two paragraphs explaining the history, trends, significant events, growth, and performance of a soft beverage company. Overall, very easy. Next came the face to face interview. Now, I looked at all the interview reviews on this site beforehand and studied what I could about interest rates, emerging, dying, and regulated industries, and inflation. Too bad only a couple of the questions I was faced with pertained to those categories. I was assailed with ridiculous questions about the airline industry predominantly. Now, because I'm not horribly familiar with this particular industry, of course the interview was a flop. I guess they can ask about any industry and its hard to answer correctly without knowing the industry well, beyond understanding general economic concepts. Even after you give an answer they, expect you to list more and more reasons. Literally, I had answered a question with two answers and the engllish guy was like "well just keep listing reasons until you're exhausted", seriously? Kind of ridiculous. We could sit there all day and list reasons or factors that affect an industry if we stretch and explain it enough. My best advice, read economic books like the armchair economist or the naked economist. These books cover a wide range of economic issues and industries and contain some thought exercises, so they will help get you in the right mind set. Overall the space seemed cool, its in the trump building on wall st, the atmosphere was relaxed. By the way, most of the job is updating current reports to keep them modern. There is no writing 20 - 30 page reports in a week, that was in their CA office when they were opening up and they needed to produce something in a hurry to sell.

Interview Questions

• What are some macro-economic factors that would affect tourists demand to travel to the U.S.   1 Answer

Client Relationship Manager Interview

Application

Interview

Would've been a good experience, had it not been for a crabby old narrow-minded woman walking the line of discrimination. Phone screen was fine, first interview was okay, they like if you basically had same exact role elsewhere. Third interview some piece of work was rude and ignorant about what brought me back in "after failing to secure the role on previous interview" they had brought me in to try for same role in diff dept. She basically flirted with discrimination when she brought up my age in relation to her age and number of companies I was at compared to her being twice my age and at one place for her whole life, which I was only at 3 btw... quite common if you enter the job market in 2008 at the peak of the economic collapse. Depends who you interview with, some people were good, but I didn't appreciate the way I was judged and treated by this one senior woman. They don't care if you've been laid off because your industry was affected by economy, they love to see if you had same title in other company, and if you were at one company for a long time without any gaps. Unrealistic way to hire in this day & age. After a few rounds of interviews they give you a writing assignment scenario. It's an easy assignment if you're good at writing. I know it's an easy assignment since HR somehow emailed me an entire thread of emails between them and the "top candidate" they were on verge of hiring. His sample wasn't even that good, but he got hired since he had a job with same title for 8 years at one company. He also possibly met a diversity goal they were going for, whereas I'm just a young caucasian with 2 minor gaps in employment from the worst economy since the great depression, my writing sample would've kicked his butt. They have a narrow-minded hiring process, either you fit their mold or not. They are insecure about your length of employment in past, since they want you to stay as long as possible. Good Luck out there, folks.

Interview Questions

• Questions were standard/straight forward. Strengths/Weakness, KPI's you were held to at previous job, etc. Dumbest question I was ever asked on interview: "What is an industry?" sounds more like a response in the game of Jeopardy than an interview question. It's relevant to their business, but it's a silly thing to ask. I assume it's to see how you define it and how you articulate your response.   Answer Question