IBM

2.8

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in December 2012.

I was first interviewed by an IBM recruiter over the phone; from there I was interviewed by a hiring manager over the phone. I then moved on to a general interview followed by a technical interview.
The general interview is just what you would expect, questions on work ethic, team work, and personality.
The technical interview was not that bad. If you can't pass it then perhaps you should be looking into a different career. Someone with basic programming training could pass easily.
Overall I felt they did a wonderful job of making you feel comfortable with the interview process.

Interview Questions
  • There wasn't really much in the way of difficult or unexpected questions. It was what I would expect for the nature of the job and the skill level sought.
    I was asked if I am the type of person to follow what others say when it comes to projects or do I take charge and/or question the group leader or do I follow blindly.

View Answer
No negotiation, they had a set rate in mind. You either accept it or looked for a different job.
It is an entry level position and as such it pays entry level wages. They don't care if you have 10 years of experience. They might still hire you, but you won't be paid more.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IBM in April 2012.

Phone interview followed by a pair of 1:1 interviews, one for basic teamwork aptitude followed by a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Define Polymorphism   View Answer
    • How would you make a query that linked multiple tables?   View Answer
    • What must be included in a set of JAVA code to enable it to be run?   View Answer
    • Describe a a situation where a team member was not performing to standards and how you handled it.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation, they have a set rate at which they start for this position because it is entry level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in November 2010.

I submitted an application on their online career page and received an email from a recruiter about a week later stating interest in interviewing me. I set up a time to have a brief phone interview with the office-designated recruiter before being offered the chance for an in-person interview. The in-person interview is scheduled via an online scheduling system. I picked the time and place that was most convenient and met with two people for that interview. One interview was a personality interview, which contained many of your normal HR-type questions. The second was the technical interview, which ended up being fairly easy. There was no writing component, but instead only talking through your experiences with the programming languages they were looking for. Less than a week later I was contacted by recruiter letting me know that I should expect an offer, and I was contacted via phone less then a week after that with the formal offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when your project work didn't go as planned, and explain how you got through the difficulties.   Answer Question
    • Explain how you would do X with Y programming language.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

There was a phone pre-screen which lasted about 20 minutes, mostly just going over my resume and skills. There were also some personality questions involved as well. Then there is a background check and quite a bit of time before they scheduled my in person interview. The in-person interview was fairly quick, but could have been quicker if the other person I was paired up with would have been on time. I had to wait 20 minutes before I could switch to my other interviewer.

I was kind of a weird case as I had a job I couldn't quit for two months. I ended up being unemployed for 2 months due to them not having enough people to start at the same time as me. It still wasn't fair to me, they kept moving my hiring date back as well. Basically feeding me more garbage each time.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between the following types of joins: left, inner, outer, right?   Answer Question
    There wasn't a negotiation phase. They told me it was either a take it or leave it offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in November 2009.

I met the IBM recruiters at my college. After looking at my resume, they invited me for a "meet and greet" with the local executives. After that, I was once again asked to come for an interview. There was some kind of mix up with interview dates, but they eventually got everything scheduled. The day I interviewed, there were close to 90 people interviewing. The interviews consisted of 1 technical interview and 1 behavioral interview. The technical interview was basically going over your resume, and them asking technical questions about projects you have worked on. The behavioral interview mostly about how well you deal with people, what happens under pressure, etc. After the interview, it took the better part of 3 weeks for them to get back with me. The office space at IBM was dull, and the people seemed that way too. While IBM has shed the image of mindless drones wearing blue suits doing at Big Blue says, it appears the corporate culture is still intact, albeit in a different form.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest part about running a free-lance web development business?   View Answer

The offer was well below market value. They also skimped on benefits (well below average), and they neglected to mention throughout the whole process that this would be a contract position. You wouldn't be a regular employee, so you weren't eligible for employee matched 401k and some other benefits. They would not negotiate either, since they had some many candidates. If my opinion, they were taking advantage of Michigan's economy and their name.