IBM

2.5

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Entry-level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in October 2013.

I met the hiring manager at a career fair. She e-mailed and setup an onsite interview. At the onsite interview, I met with the hiring manager and a senior architect for the project that I would be working on. The questions from the hiring manager were very behavioral. The senior architect spent most of the time talking about the project. He asked me some questions about my background and experience with the languages, systems, and services that they were currently using. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I received an e-mail the next day saying that they wanted to move forward with the offer process. I had to take an exam and fill out background paperwork. The offer came about 5 days later.

Did not negotiate.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Got a phone interview, then on-site

Interview Questions
    • About one of my online community research project, ask about why I use this kind of research method to approach that problem, why I didn't compare it to its competitors?   View Answer

Actually I haven't decided yet.

Senior Software Engineer - Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in June 2013.

The Austin campus appears nice on the exterior. However upon interview inside, it's quite depressing. Furniture is mismatched, dated and falling apart. Developers equipment is very old and mismatched. Some developers did not have monitors, only old Lenovo Thinkpads. It was a quite depressing place, as were the attitudes of the interviews. No one seemed excited about working there.

Interview Questions
    • Want to work here, yes. Ok.... That's about it.
      Tell me about your expertise. No programming questions for Senior Engineer level roles?!?!

Answer Question

Very low compensation in comparison to other companies. The staff seems stressed and depressed. Probably not a good place to join. And so glad I did since an acquaintance was laid off less than 4 months after hiring as part of the constant quarterly layoffs.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM.

I was recruited by a professor who had connections within IBM and a division was looking for a software developer intern. I had a phone interview and was hired. The technical questions were very simple (if you know the CLR Algorithm book).

As an intern / co-op there isn't much negotiation, the salary is based on % completion toward your degree.

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2013.

Initial communication was very efficient and pleasant. Had a phone screen then an in-person interview session with about 4-5 different people in their Austin office. The campus is huge. Unfortunately the office was as expected. Maze upon maze of cubicles. Not exactly what I'm personally used to, being raised in the .com generation where "Cube" is a 4 letter word.

Everyone seemed generally pleasant, as is most interview sessions with any company. I did notice the general age of the people interviewing me hovered around the mid 40's, if that's of interested to anyone.

I did notice an odd pattern, even during my initial phone screen all the way to the in-person interviews with every single interviewer. Everyone, and I mean everyone, spent a fair amount of time how I'd handle negative situations, such as hurdles in executing a design with stakeholders, etc.. Those are good questions to ask in general, but the rate of occurrence in which I was asked over and over and over again started making me feel as if they were trying to hire a corporate diplomat, not a designer.

My interview was scheduled to start at 9am, and I was given a design exercise to do at 8pm the previous night. The recruiter had slipped up and basically forgot, so I spent most of the night under less then ideal time constraints to try and execute the design exercise.

Overall, my takeaway is almost exactly as I had assumed. Very big company, with an older crowd, with a lot of concern over how to navigate corporate waters.

I was not extended an offer with the reasoning that they did not see me being a potential fit for any of their current projects. I don't mind rejection, but I do mind honesty. One of the questions I asked on multiple occasions, was specifically "what sort of projects would I be potentially working on if hired?". The response was always a definitive "we're not working on anything specific at the time, but we will be eventually".

How can I not be a fit for any projects when they haven't identified any projects to work on?

Very weird. I'd much would have appreciated "We didn't like your answers to XX questions". Or anything else that wasn't an obvious contradiction to the information I had already confirmed through my own investigation during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult, but the nature of the recurring "How would you handle this negative situation" was a bit alarming.   Answer Question

BPM Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in September 2012.

Had an on campus interview which consisted of process mapping and checking code. Invited to Austin for an Onsite interview. Had 3 rounds of interviews by consultants with about 1.5 years experienced. All asked technical questions (process mapping and creating programing in pseudo code) and light behavioral questions. Received a product demonstration and was taken out to lunch. Was told after the interview that all offers had been given out but I had passed and if space opened up they would give me a call. Got an email one month later that all spots in the program were filled.

Interview Questions
    • Create a program to tell you if a string was a palindrome. (show it in two ways).   Answer Question
    • What are nested For loops used for?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2012.

phone interview, the on-site interview

there was not negotiation phase

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in March 2012.

2 Phone interviews. First one was mostly questions about my resume and my past experiences and how they make me fit for the job. Then the interviewer spoke about their position and how the team works. The second interview was from a Software engineer on the team and they asked me scenario questions on how to approach certain scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • How would you test a slow running website to make it faster?   Answer Question
    Did not need to negotiate

Software Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in March 2012.

The interviewer went through my resume and asked about different projects I did in school and my past experience. Interview was mainly behavioral and he didn't ask me many technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most interesting project you did in school   View Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in February 2012.

I did not have one, as I had previously interned and was basically offered the job given my previous experience. Usually one manager will do all the hiring for an area and do the initial screening, followed by conference calls with the team that is actually doing the hiring

Interview Questions
    • They were more interested in myself as a person than my technical abilities that I had already proven through internships with IBM   Answer Question