IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Advisory Software Engineer Interview

Advisory Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I interviewed at IBM in April 2010.

Interview Details – - interviewed with two different hiring managers and four team members, overall it went well, was very impressed with the working environment: labs, people and etc.
- questions asked were real world questions, not by books, some very technical questions, some are not technical questions, non-technical questions are harder than technical questions.

Interview Question – how did you solve the situation where there were some conflicts between you and your team members?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview, then on-site

Interview Question – About one of my online community research project, ask about why I use this kind of research method to approach that problem, why I didn't compare it to its competitors?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Actually I haven't decided yet.

Entry-level Software Developer Interview

Entry-level Software Developer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Interview Details – I met the hiring manager at a career fair. She e-mailed and setup an onsite interview. At the onsite interview, I met with the hiring manager and a senior architect for the project that I would be working on. The questions from the hiring manager were very behavioral. The senior architect spent most of the time talking about the project. He asked me some questions about my background and experience with the languages, systems, and services that they were currently using. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I received an e-mail the next day saying that they wanted to move forward with the offer process. I had to take an exam and fill out background paperwork. The offer came about 5 days later.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Staff Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in February 2012.

Interview Details – I did not have one, as I had previously interned and was basically offered the job given my previous experience. Usually one manager will do all the hiring for an area and do the initial screening, followed by conference calls with the team that is actually doing the hiring

Interview Question – They were more interested in myself as a person than my technical abilities that I had already proven through internships with IBM   Answer Question

Senior Programmer Manager Interview

Senior Programmer Manager
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in October 2009.

Interview Details – Standard vanilla interview with different managers

Negotiation Details – easy

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2011.

Interview Details – I friend of mine in the company send my resume directly to the hiring manager. From there, the first interview was over the phone with a senior architect. This interview was not too technical but more to find out more about my background. However, he did asked me several technical questions. The second interview was on site, and it was a half day of interviewes. First, I interviewed with the hiring manager and two developers from the team I was applying. This interview focused on my previous work and how I would respond to certain challenges. Nothing to technical. From there I met with two other senior architects individually. One of them asked me technical questions and other was more informational of what the team was doing and how I think I could help them. At the end f the day, I met with the hiring manager for last minute questions. Overall the process was not too difficult since there were no really hard technical questions (google style).

Interview Question – I guess the most difficult question was how my past experience had prepare me for this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate but they did not changed their original offer. Perhaps if had had another offer from a different company I could have more leverage to negotiate the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

Interview Details – Went through 5 interviews, one of them an in-person interview. I was surprised that I was not asked to solve programming challenges throughout the interview process, for the most part I was just asked about my experience and projects I worked on.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

UI/User Experience Designer
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in April 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication was very efficient and pleasant. Had a phone screen then an in-person interview session with about 4-5 different people in their Austin office. The campus is huge. Unfortunately the office was as expected. Maze upon maze of cubicles. Not exactly what I'm personally used to, being raised in the .com generation where "Cube" is a 4 letter word.

Everyone seemed generally pleasant, as is most interview sessions with any company. I did notice the general age of the people interviewing me hovered around the mid 40's, if that's of interested to anyone.

I did notice an odd pattern, even during my initial phone screen all the way to the in-person interviews with every single interviewer. Everyone, and I mean everyone, spent a fair amount of time how I'd handle negative situations, such as hurdles in executing a design with stakeholders, etc.. Those are good questions to ask in general, but the rate of occurrence in which I was asked over and over and over again started making me feel as if they were trying to hire a corporate diplomat, not a designer.

My interview was scheduled to start at 9am, and I was given a design exercise to do at 8pm the previous night. The recruiter had slipped up and basically forgot, so I spent most of the night under less then ideal time constraints to try and execute the design exercise.

Overall, my takeaway is almost exactly as I had assumed. Very big company, with an older crowd, with a lot of concern over how to navigate corporate waters.

I was not extended an offer with the reasoning that they did not see me being a potential fit for any of their current projects. I don't mind rejection, but I do mind honesty. One of the questions I asked on multiple occasions, was specifically "what sort of projects would I be potentially working on if hired?". The response was always a definitive "we're not working on anything specific at the time, but we will be eventually".

How can I not be a fit for any projects when they haven't identified any projects to work on?

Very weird. I'd much would have appreciated "We didn't like your answers to XX questions". Or anything else that wasn't an obvious contradiction to the information I had already confirmed through my own investigation during the interviews.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult, but the nature of the recurring "How would you handle this negative situation" was a bit alarming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – I was recruited by a professor who had connections within IBM and a division was looking for a software developer intern. I had a phone interview and was hired. The technical questions were very simple (if you know the CLR Algorithm book).

Negotiation Details – As an intern / co-op there isn't much negotiation, the salary is based on % completion toward your degree.

BPM Consultant Interview

BPM Consultant
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in September 2012.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview which consisted of process mapping and checking code. Invited to Austin for an Onsite interview. Had 3 rounds of interviews by consultants with about 1.5 years experienced. All asked technical questions (process mapping and creating programing in pseudo code) and light behavioral questions. Received a product demonstration and was taken out to lunch. Was told after the interview that all offers had been given out but I had passed and if space opened up they would give me a call. Got an email one month later that all spots in the program were filled.

Interview Questions