IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Solutions Architect Interview

Solutions Architect
Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

Interview Details – Referred to IBM by an employee who informed me there were two open SA positions. First there were two phone calls with the potential team lead and first line manager. I then had to give a 30-minute presentation around a career accomplishment involving Business Analytics for the potential first, second and third line managers. After the presentation I was presented with three different tracks at IBM and stuck with the SA position - which I have been content with for 3 years now. I was presented an offer within 5 business days.

Interview Question – I don't recall any brain-busters however I knew my presentation subject matter to the finest detail and had spent 5-6 hours preparing & rehearsing it. IBM emphasizes preparation so try to be as thorough as possible in your prep work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had to haggle with HR for the salary I wanted - they gave me a 10k "reference" salary which got me to my desired # to start out which was maintained for two years however in 2014 this was taken away across all SAs and back-loaded into potential commission payouts. Looking back I should have fought harder for more salary...so fight hard to get your # as IBM doesn't give base pay raises very often. 3 years of good/solid performance & results with no base pay increase, but the commissions have provided my all-in desired pay thus far.

Senior IT Architect Interview

Senior IT Architect
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at IBM in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very simple. After an introduction by a recruiter, I was invited to participate in 6 phone interviews with different persons/roles within the consulting practice I was pursuing.

Five of the interviews took place without mishap and no questions being too hard to answer. One interviewer 'forgot' about the interview and left me on the phone for 15 minutes.

Passing the phone interview process, I was flown to Boston to meet face to face with 2 managers and describe a case study.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you believe you failed and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Advisory Software Engineer Interview

Advisory Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in June 2010.

Interview Details – phone call interview with HR followed by engineers and manager interview

Interview Question – average questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with project manager, 1 phone interview with team member, IQ test

Negotiation Details – IBM uses band system to determine your salary range. There is a lower and higher bound of the band you are in. Definitely negotiate if you feel underpaid

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in April 2009.

Interview Details – Job will be posted internally for 2 weeks then externally up to 1 month. Candidates are screen via software for high level qualifications (key words - use them). Upon qualification, notice is given that you have moved to the next step and instruction is given on how to proceed, what to expect. This is a tiered process in which various stakeholders will review your profile and suggest areas for further vetting. Most roles are quite difficult to fill once they are vacant - HR and Finance must sign off on the hire.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was "how will I meet my goals"? It was out of place during the interview and that is why it was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You are compensated based on experience and accomplishment. Global Services uses pay grades (bands) and salary can vary. Negotiation for a lateral or vertical move is recommended, the offer extended is best and final in most every instance.

Associate Partner Interview

Associate Partner
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at IBM in April 2013.

Interview Details – VERY long process filled with weeks of no communication. I was contacted by IBM for two different roles. Several telephone interviews. Then a group interview in Boston. We were split into two groups of three. We did a group project. Like a case study in B-school and presented our findings and recommendations to a group made up of senior people in the practice. Then we had one-on-one interviews with a couple of them. I was practically offered the job. Then I was told I needed to interview with the VP over the group. He was already in a bad mood when we started the call. He had his mind made up before we ever talked. All in all it was a difficult experience at best.

Interview Question – How much will the solution cost? (Question posed during the group interview.)   Answer Question

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Software Quality Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was an internal hire so the interview process may be different than for someone who is coming from an external position. I spoke with the hiring manager and two members of the team. Not too hard. We talked about my background and some of my strengths and weaknesses. I would be prepare for some SQL questions.

Interview Question – I had a difficult question about how one would test a web server.   View Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer
Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM in May 2009.

Interview Details – It was for an internship position and I only had one phone interview. It was relatively low on technical questions since they were looking for someone soon. They did go through some of my previous work and since I had a decent portfolio for an intern the offer was easy to get.

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting questions about management and team work since it was a technical job. Questions like how did you work with the team when deadlines were not met or working with someone who was not a good collaborator, etc.   View Answers (2)

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

Senior Managing Consultant
Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at IBM in January 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was initially a little difficult as it looked like they weren't initially interested, but upon obtaining an offer from a competitor, they perked up and quickly moved through hiring.

Interview Question – How many projects have you completed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very short. They clearly wanted me to join and made the top offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – First, i received a call online

Interview Question – when to use a container vs abstract class?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Hiring process is not done yet ! i will update this later

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM interview questions and advice in Boston, MA. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.