IBM Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

3 interviews, 2 behaviorals and 1 case study. Definitely prepare for the case study--I thought I did really well on the behaviorals and didn't nail the case study, and didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
  • How would you react if you were told on Friday that you had to be on a new project on Monday?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

The interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews and 1 onsite interview. The two phone interviews were very standard. I had a discussion with 2 managers within the group and they lasted approximately 45 minutes each. The questions that they asked pertained to my previous experiences.The first manager asked quite a few questions, and the second spent most of the time describing the organization.

The onsite interview was a 1 day event. It began at 7:30AM and was completed by 6:30PM. The questions were primarily behavioral, but there was a presentation and a case study that I had to provide feedback to for one of the subject matter experts. The interviews lasted 1 hour each with most of the members of the group to identify if I would be a cultural fit for the organization.

Interview Questions
    • Regarding the presentation you just saw, please describe areas for our organization to use data analytics to further optimize operations.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

pretty smooth process--went to DC area to interview. two interviews--1 case and 1 behavioral

Interview Questions
    • behavioral was very intense--be prepared to defend your answers and think on your feet   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Three rounds of interviews, fairly easy. They basically wanted a walk through of your resume, and past projects. What are some of your best and worst qualities, just basic interview questions. IBM flew me out to the IBM plant in Ohio. They covered the Hotel Expenses as well as the flight expenses. However, they did not have paid transportation to the hotel from the Airport. It would have been nice to have someone there waiting for me with a sign of my name, to take me to my hotel, seeing as how i am not from Ohio.

Interview Questions
    • They were all straight forward answers.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

The interview process consisted of a screen interview for an hour which consisted of general HR questions and a few technical questions at the end - "Define cash flow", how would you accout for investments, which side is debit/credit on the balance sheet? After the screen interview I was sent an email with a test that needed to be completed in 3 days. The test included general number sequences, as well ratios, algebra and probability. Each question is multiple choice and you only have 2 minutes to answer before the question completely dissapears, so you have to think quick and try to figure out the answer from the options provided. The next interview was with 3 people, the project manager as well as a perosn form HR and a person from the department - technical questions as well as behavioural questions - describe a project you are proud of, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Define depreciation and how you would account for depreciation on the 3 main financial statements.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

It was a long interview process. I had 3 phone interviews and along with 2 in person interview. Basic interview questions about my experience and research.

Interview Questions
    • If you could choose to be an animal, what animal would you be.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in February 2013.

Interview process is usually by phone and managers are often traveling or remote. Can be difficult to get a real sense for the interviewer or the culture.

Interview Questions
    • What project that you worked had the most impact on the business overall?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in June 2012.

One Phone interview and then meet with the immediate superior on site.

Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2012.

I was contacted for an interview about two weeks after I submitted my resume for the position. After an initial phone screening, I was set up for a phone interview with two of the hiring managers at the same time. A week later I was contacted to come in for a formal interview at their offices in Westford where I met with two more hiring managers. The interview was about an hour long and detailed all of the functions I would be performing for the team.

Interview Questions
    • How will your experience to date help you in this job role? And how will you make up for those experiences that we outlined that you don't have.   Answer Question

It was a very difficult decision between them and another firm... In the end, the other firm's benefits (and higher salary) were too good to pass up.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2012.

I had two rounds of interview. Initial round was telephonic, which was easy. Just the usual BA questions were asked and it was 15 minutes long. Final round was a panel interview, which was more like a technical round. They gave me some scenarios and asked to create use case diagrams.Also asked about RUP process.