IBM Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Jul 3, 2015

2.8

Extreme Blue Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Initially applied online. Got a call and went through the process. Couple of technical interviews to get thought. Work through problems on the phone and write code in a google document where they hear speak and see you typing. They want to get a feel for how you work through a problem. (tough! Know your algorithms, their possible implementations and complexities) then you interview with the managers and teams looking to hire you. You have to fit, you are not guaranteed a position still at this point. They will test you HARD!

Interview Questions

• lookup bitonic sort algorithm on Wikipedia. From the picture alone try write real code for the parallel algorithm. That was a question I got for one of one of the teams.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process started off with an interview with a direct manager, 10-minute excel test and lastly a peer interview. After all that was complete, I was also emailed an IBM test on sequential patterns and algebraic math questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

the interviewer was late for an hour, but he was very nice. The questions are most about Java and C++, algorithm, pattern, and concurrency. No behaviour question was asked. At the end he told me to wait for a followup.

Virtual Machine Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

The interviewer was very nice and cool, it was the kind of guy I'd love to work with !!!
    Phone Interview that lasted more than an hour. Got asked about almost everything in Java and C++ for more than 30 minutes: classes objects inheritance interface abstract class void pointers recursion trees binary trees linked list vs array and more and more and more...

Then I was given the following programming task to finish online:

/**
     * Using no libraries, compress a nul terminated sequence of characters, in
     * place. The input characters are all in the range a-z. The input does not need
     * to be validated. The result overwrites the input and is nul terminated.
     * Return the number of characters in the result, not including the nul
     * terminator.
     * The compression algorithm is: - any letter which is not repeated is
     * represented in the output by the same letter - any letter which is repeated
     * is compressed by appending it with a series of ascii numbers which represent
     * the number of repeats - any repeat bigger than 9 is represented by a series
     * of 9's and the remaining count, i.e., a repeat of 10 is represented as 91, 11
     * as 92, etc
     * Examples: abab -> abab
     * aaacbbb -> a3cb3
     * addddddddddddc -> ad93c
     * @param letters
     * a nul terminated sequence of the letters a-z
     * @return the length of the compressed character sequence not including the nul terminator

public class Compress {

}

I was not able to finish the task on time which was about 30 minutes. It simply was not my day, I was very tired and the 30 minutes questions/answers session gave me a headache. I was able to finish it after the interview was over :P

Interview Questions

• nothing complicated given you know about OOP, Java and C++   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

Received an email from HR to have two interviews with two Finance Managers. One interviewer scrutinized my resume in detail; the second one was easy going. Received invitation to the second round. I interviewed with the CFO of IBM Canada - she was very straightforward

Interview Questions

• What is the relationship between the nature of your jobs as an intern? Caught me off-guard because I had four internships in four different companies & industries   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; new grad so not much beside internships under my belt.

Compiler Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Five rounds of phone interviews. Four technical interviews and one manager interview.

Technical Support Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online (powered by NetMedia), after 1 week got fist phone call asking basic personal information and rate your Linux/Unix skils from 1 to 10. After a week got second phone call lasting about half of hour, asking Unix technical questions such as file permission and process, and past work experience relevant to the role.
    Then after 3 days, sit-in interview lasting about 2 hours. First panel with 2 other people asks soft skill questions, past experiences, future goals...etc. Second panel with a technical expert asks lots of difficult technical questions on Unix commands for debugging / process troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• C++ debugger: how to troubleshoot segfault? How to view stack information?
      A: Use back -races and frames : bt, frames.

Q: Crashed process - how to start troubleshooting?
      A: System log - syslog. Application logs are not that helpful due to abrupt exit.

Q: how to check files opened by process?
      A: iostat and lsof

Q: how to check netowrk ports being used?
      A: netstat

Q: difference between stripped and non-stripped binary?
      A: non-stripped binary has debugging info built-in. Stripped does not.

Q: How would you install new programs on Unix?
      A: RPM commands

Q: How to detect frozen/stuck process, and how to debug it?

Q: What are UNC paths in windows?

Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2009.

Interview

Hiring process was thru a job fair and first interview was done by HR, then submitted to hiring manager. After 2 weeks, technical architect would interview for about 1 hours, after passing the technical session , then hiring manager would conduct the behavioral interview, all these process took 1 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hiring manager will contact you asking for salary range, advice to others please do not hesitate to negotiate.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online after finishing my undergrad. They did not reply me for more than a month, so I asked my friend to refer me and then things moved quickly. I was contacted directly by hiring manager. I gave IBM's IQ test and then decided the date to do a phone interview with hiring manager. In phone interview, I was asked bit manipulation question, reverse a single linked list and anagram questions. It was about 45 mins interview with all tech question. I knew all the questions and had them practiced before hand so I did pretty well. During the phone interview, I was told that I'm selected for on-site interview. I choose to give on-site interview monday of next week. I had about 3 days to prepare, I did not choose to wait longer because I did not have job that time. It was 5.5 hours of on-site interview which included 4 interviews and 1 lunch interview. lunch interview was not counted in selection process. There were 3 tech interviews and 1 manager interview. Each 1 hour long, in manager interview I was asked behavior questions and other standard easy HR questions. Job was related to compiler so they asked me lot of low level questions including reduce the cache contention in matrix multiplication and etc. Some of the coding question were:

1. Find 2^n without using any airthemetic operator. 1 >> n
    2. Find double of a number without using airthmetic and lots lots of bit manipulation questions.
    2. Reduce cache contention in given code. Code was matrix multiplication algorithm.
    3. Explain in pseudo code, how overriding a functions in OOO languages work. And is overriding function resolved at compile time? And how about function overloading?
    4. Write a function that takes two unsigned int and returns true if multiplication of these two integers will be overflow (means number exceed limit of sizeof(unsigned int) bytes) otherwise returns false.
    5. Design stack using single linked list.
    6. Given an array of positive and negative ints , find an continuous subarray with maximum sum. On first try I was able to write an algorithm with o(1) space and o(n) time complexity so he was happy.
    7. Write a basic hashing algorithm (then he asked my why I did this way and how can I improve). And some theory about has functions.

If you applying in compiler department be sure to prepare bit manip questions and know some basic things of compilers like parsing, linking, how compiled languages different from interpreted ones, how 32 bit compiled program diff from 64 bit and other basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• Reduce cache contention on given code. Code was multiple multiplication algorithm. I did not have slightest clue of how to do that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was good salary already as new graduate.

Extreme Blue Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2010.

Interview

I had a phone screener, with basic programming questions, followed by an in-depth technical phone interview several weeks later, where I was asked more detailed questions about compilers, OS's and more.

After a while longer, I was finally told that they were not hiring me for the position, though it took quite a while to find out.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   2 Answers