IBM Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.8

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

SAP Consultant Interview

IBM visited campus, there was initial screening test then group discussions and finally technical and HR interview.
    Interviewing panel was very patient with me and sensible in asking questions. They asked very technical questions pertaining to SAP.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to achieve being an SAP consultant?   Answer Question

QA Test Automation Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

There were 2 round interviews. First interview iwth teamlead and colleague. It is best that you prepare more on behavioural and some basic like input and output in programming language of choice

Interview Questions
    • Program a guess game... they were interested in the program only. Brush up how to take input in java or any programming language of choice. They asked salary compensation... best reply I would suggest is company standardbecause I actually quoted out of nervousness.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Process was dragged out, each stage took longer than they said it would, and apart from the final interview not particularly involved. I had a phone screen followed by a quick group panel round with a group case and then a 1:1 interview with a partner. The phone screen was pretty straightforward (why IBM, tell me about yourself, etc.); the panel was trivia based, and the interview was unexpectedly long.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Received an email from HR to have two interviews with two Finance Managers. One interviewer scrutinized my resume in detail; the second one was easy going. Received invitation to the second round. I interviewed with the CFO of IBM Canada - she was very straightforward

Interview Questions
    • What is the relationship between the nature of your jobs as an intern? Caught me off-guard because I had four internships in four different companies & industries   Answer Question
    No negotiation; new grad so not much beside internships under my belt.

Deskside Support Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Plain and standard.

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Not much stuff. Just went through your resume, and discuss about your knowledge and experience of SQL.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if one of your teammate is slacking off while the deadline of a big project is approaching?   Answer Question

Virtual Machine Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

The interviewer was very nice and cool, it was the kind of guy I'd love to work with !!!
    Phone Interview that lasted more than an hour. Got asked about almost everything in Java and C++ for more than 30 minutes: classes objects inheritance interface abstract class void pointers recursion trees binary trees linked list vs array and more and more and more...

Then I was given the following programming task to finish online:

/**
     * Using no libraries, compress a nul terminated sequence of characters, in
     * place. The input characters are all in the range a-z. The input does not need
     * to be validated. The result overwrites the input and is nul terminated.
     * Return the number of characters in the result, not including the nul
     * terminator.
     * The compression algorithm is: - any letter which is not repeated is
     * represented in the output by the same letter - any letter which is repeated
     * is compressed by appending it with a series of ascii numbers which represent
     * the number of repeats - any repeat bigger than 9 is represented by a series
     * of 9's and the remaining count, i.e., a repeat of 10 is represented as 91, 11
     * as 92, etc
     * Examples: abab -> abab
     * aaacbbb -> a3cb3
     * addddddddddddc -> ad93c
     * @param letters
     * a nul terminated sequence of the letters a-z
     * @return the length of the compressed character sequence not including the nul terminator

public class Compress {

}

I was not able to finish the task on time which was about 30 minutes. It simply was not my day, I was very tired and the 30 minutes questions/answers session gave me a headache. I was able to finish it after the interview was over :P

Interview Questions
    • nothing complicated given you know about OOP, Java and C++   Answer Question

Rational Software Delivery Developer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

After applying through the company website, I received an email about a week and a half later that said I needed to complete their IPAT Test (which is pretty much a pattern recognition and math problem solving test, and most math problems were the "if a train leaves the station at 9am going 100km/h, and another train leaves at 9:30am going 80km/h, when will they meet?" type of question).

While I was writing the test (which I thought was very difficult), I received another email saying that I had been selected for an interview. This means that they had selected me for an interview before I had completed the test (and before seeing my result), which I thought was strange.

The interview was around an hour long. I was interviewed by three people: one was the team lead, the other was a system admin, and the other was a current intern. They began by telling me about their team and what they did, and then proceeded to ask me about my resume. They were extremely thorough, going through my resume line by line and asking me to elaborate on every point I made.

After that, they asked some behavioural questions. The two I can remember were:

- "What would you do if an important client had completely changed their mind about what they wanted, and that meant that you had to restart from scratch to fulfill their new request?"

- "How would you deal with a member of a team that wasn't pulling their weight on a project?"

From there, they began to ask basic technical questions. The first were simple ones about general web development (what's a CSS media query, how does search engine optimization work, what are some best practices in web security). The next questions were related to Java (explain the differences between procedural programming vs object oriented programming, what's an object, what's a thread). The last few questions were related to linux system administration (how do you add a new user, how would you schedule a task to execute a week from now). The final question was kind of unexpected, since it was simply "what is agile development?"

The interview concluded with all three interviewers talking about open source projects they had been working on.

Interview Questions
    • On a linux system, how would you schedule a task to execute a week from now?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

The job is an entry-level software developer position. There are two rounds of interviews.

The first round happened in about 2-3 weeks after I applied. Since I am local, they asked me to come onsite, and talked to 2 software developers. It took about 1 hour, and the questions are of 2 kinds: algorithm and OOD.

The second round happened in about 3 weeks after the first round. I was interviewed with the hiring manager and 2 software developers. It took about 2 hours. The technical questions are similar to the first round. Besides that, the hiring manager spent 15 minutes to describe the position in details, and then keep asking me questions like "How do you like the position?", "Why?", "What kind of job do you like?", e.t.c. I gave a honest but maybe a very bad answer "I like this job because it is local"....

After the second interview, they hold me for a month, then told me they decided not to move forward my application.

Intern XL Compiler Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Individual hiring. It's a school coop intern program. 2 weeks after I submitted my application package, I got the interview. A team project went through my resume and asked some technical questions, he also introduced the compiler team a little bit. A few behaviour questions were asked including your failure experience.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are very basic questions, including tags for make file, shell script function, c/c++ basic etc.   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!