IBM

Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.8

Intern XL Compiler Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Individual hiring. It's a school coop intern program. 2 weeks after I submitted my application package, I got the interview. A team project went through my resume and asked some technical questions, he also introduced the compiler team a little bit. A few behaviour questions were asked including your failure experience.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are very basic questions, including tags for make file, shell script function, c/c++ basic etc.   Answer Question

GBS Consulting By Degrees Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Two interviews:

First with a managing consultant who was stern at the beginning but eased up as the interview progressed. Pushing for you to say something interesting and to be honest about your thoughts. An interesting individual looking for interesting new grads to join the company.

Second interview with a Partner who was relatively unfriendly, didn't appreciate trying to make light of the situation, asked me to give a rundown of my resume and acted extremely uninterested as I did so.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to tell a client bad news how would you convince them that it was good news?   View Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2013.

I applied through the university. Then, I took an online aptitude test and set up an interview time and location with the hiring manager. You could not study for the aptitude test. The fun part was trying to figure out the patterns in the time you were given.

Interview Questions
    • None, they talked about my past experiences and projects   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person – interviewed at IBM.

Applied online after campus info session. Had one round of HR interview followed by one in- person and one phone interview with two partners. Regular interview questions, strength, weakness, leadership and situational questions. Also was asked about specific industry preferences.

Interview Questions
    No the company was inflexible on negotiating compensation; was only able to negotiate start date.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in June 2013.

I applied online after finishing my undergrad. They did not reply me for more than a month, so I asked my friend to refer me and then things moved quickly. I was contacted directly by hiring manager. I gave IBM's IQ test and then decided the date to do a phone interview with hiring manager. In phone interview, I was asked bit manipulation question, reverse a single linked list and anagram questions. It was about 45 mins interview with all tech question. I knew all the questions and had them practiced before hand so I did pretty well. During the phone interview, I was told that I'm selected for on-site interview. I choose to give on-site interview monday of next week. I had about 3 days to prepare, I did not choose to wait longer because I did not have job that time. It was 5.5 hours of on-site interview which included 4 interviews and 1 lunch interview. lunch interview was not counted in selection process. There were 3 tech interviews and 1 manager interview. Each 1 hour long, in manager interview I was asked behavior questions and other standard easy HR questions. Job was related to compiler so they asked me lot of low level questions including reduce the cache contention in matrix multiplication and etc. Some of the coding question were:

1. Find 2^n without using any airthemetic operator. 1 >> n
    2. Find double of a number without using airthmetic and lots lots of bit manipulation questions.
    2. Reduce cache contention in given code. Code was matrix multiplication algorithm.
    3. Explain in pseudo code, how overriding a functions in OOO languages work. And is overriding function resolved at compile time? And how about function overloading?
    4. Write a function that takes two unsigned int and returns true if multiplication of these two integers will be overflow (means number exceed limit of sizeof(unsigned int) bytes) otherwise returns false.
    5. Design stack using single linked list.
    6. Given an array of positive and negative ints , find an continuous subarray with maximum sum. On first try I was able to write an algorithm with o(1) space and o(n) time complexity so he was happy.
    7. Write a basic hashing algorithm (then he asked my why I did this way and how can I improve). And some theory about has functions.

If you applying in compiler department be sure to prepare bit manip questions and know some basic things of compilers like parsing, linking, how compiled languages different from interpreted ones, how 32 bit compiled program diff from 64 bit and other basic stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Reduce cache contention on given code. Code was multiple multiplication algorithm. I did not have slightest clue of how to do that.   Answer Question
    It was good salary already as new graduate.

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM.

After applying online, completing the standard IBM mini math/logic test, got an email about doing an interview in person at the office. This was about 3 weeks after applying. Set a time over email. Interview was about 2 hours, which is a fair bit for an internship position, but then again this was a fairly impressive position. It was a one-on-one interview in a meeting room with a dev from the team, the one that contacted me over email. Had a quick tour of the office before hand. Started off with some behavioural questions. I was nervous, it was my first ever interview for a tech job, and messed them up, starting the whole thing on a bad foot. From there, I was asked questions about my resume. Make sure to really be sharp on all the projects and what not you list, they will ask.

Got into some C questions pretty quick. Some questions about the general fundamentals of the language/advantages. Then some sample code was given on paper, in C, I was asked to find all the bugs in it. Then a few sample coding problems in C with pen and paper. Some fermi or back of the napkin questions after that. It was a lot of flipping back and forth from theory to application to fermi problems. Some questions about OS's, like multithreading, memory management, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall in particular the coding problems, the interview was sometime ago. Fermi problems can be tricky, but a "correct" answer isn't expected, rather thought process is observed. So for example, one was, how many miles of road is there in New York City?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Applied online for new graduate position. Got an email from recruiter asking few questions. He forwarded my application to Campus Manager, who contacted me to schedule a phone interview. After that he scheduled me final interview. It was also phone interview with hiring manager, as position was based in Nova Scotia.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. Mostly behavioral questions and some related to the resume   Answer Question

Internship, DB2 Department Interview

Phone interview arranged after posting resumes on job media website at IBM career portal. First contacted by email from the DB2 team manager and arranged a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particular difficult questions. He went on to introduce IBM DB2 department for about 20 minutes. Could not tell how he felt exactly since he seemed to agree with every response you make. Later another interview was arranged with the other head   Answer Question

Technical Support Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Applied online (powered by NetMedia), after 1 week got fist phone call asking basic personal information and rate your Linux/Unix skils from 1 to 10. After a week got second phone call lasting about half of hour, asking Unix technical questions such as file permission and process, and past work experience relevant to the role.
    Then after 3 days, sit-in interview lasting about 2 hours. First panel with 2 other people asks soft skill questions, past experiences, future goals...etc. Second panel with a technical expert asks lots of difficult technical questions on Unix commands for debugging / process troubleshooting.

Interview Questions
    • C++ debugger: how to troubleshoot segfault? How to view stack information?
      A: Use back -races and frames : bt, frames.

Q: Crashed process - how to start troubleshooting?
      A: System log - syslog. Application logs are not that helpful due to abrupt exit.

Q: how to check files opened by process?
      A: iostat and lsof

Q: how to check netowrk ports being used?
      A: netstat

Q: difference between stripped and non-stripped binary?
      A: non-stripped binary has debugging info built-in. Stripped does not.

Q: How would you install new programs on Unix?
      A: RPM commands

Q: How to detect frozen/stuck process, and how to debug it?

Q: What are UNC paths in windows?

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

HR normally screen the applications based on certain keywords that match the job description, and then the filtered candidates are passed to some coordinator to do further filtering. They will look at your resume and usually for new grads they look for top marks and for professional hires they look for experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation that you have been in and how did you dealt with it?   Answer Question