IBM Interview Questions & Reviews in Canada

105 interviews

2.8

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Applied online for new graduate position. Got an email from recruiter asking few questions. He forwarded my application to Campus Manager, who contacted me to schedule a phone interview. After that he scheduled me final interview. It was also phone interview with hiring manager, as position was based in Nova Scotia.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. Mostly behavioral questions and some related to the resume   Answer Question

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

After applying online, completing the standard IBM mini math/logic test, got an email about doing an interview in person at the office. This was about 3 weeks after applying. Set a time over email. Interview was about 2 hours, which is a fair bit for an internship position, but then again this was a fairly impressive position. It was a one-on-one interview in a meeting room with a dev from the team, the one that contacted me over email. Had a quick tour of the office before hand. Started off with some behavioural questions. I was nervous, it was my first ever interview for a tech job, and messed them up, starting the whole thing on a bad foot. From there, I was asked questions about my resume. Make sure to really be sharp on all the projects and what not you list, they will ask.

Got into some C questions pretty quick. Some questions about the general fundamentals of the language/advantages. Then some sample code was given on paper, in C, I was asked to find all the bugs in it. Then a few sample coding problems in C with pen and paper. Some fermi or back of the napkin questions after that. It was a lot of flipping back and forth from theory to application to fermi problems. Some questions about OS's, like multithreading, memory management, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall in particular the coding problems, the interview was sometime ago. Fermi problems can be tricky, but a "correct" answer isn't expected, rather thought process is observed. So for example, one was, how many miles of road is there in New York City?   Answer Question

Internship, DB2 Department Interview

Phone interview arranged after posting resumes on job media website at IBM career portal. First contacted by email from the DB2 team manager and arranged a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particular difficult questions. He went on to introduce IBM DB2 department for about 20 minutes. Could not tell how he felt exactly since he seemed to agree with every response you make. Later another interview was arranged with the other head   Answer Question

Technical Support Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Applied online (powered by NetMedia), after 1 week got fist phone call asking basic personal information and rate your Linux/Unix skils from 1 to 10. After a week got second phone call lasting about half of hour, asking Unix technical questions such as file permission and process, and past work experience relevant to the role.
    Then after 3 days, sit-in interview lasting about 2 hours. First panel with 2 other people asks soft skill questions, past experiences, future goals...etc. Second panel with a technical expert asks lots of difficult technical questions on Unix commands for debugging / process troubleshooting.

Interview Questions
    • C++ debugger: how to troubleshoot segfault? How to view stack information?
      A: Use back -races and frames : bt, frames.

Q: Crashed process - how to start troubleshooting?
      A: System log - syslog. Application logs are not that helpful due to abrupt exit.

Q: how to check files opened by process?
      A: iostat and lsof

Q: how to check netowrk ports being used?
      A: netstat

Q: difference between stripped and non-stripped binary?
      A: non-stripped binary has debugging info built-in. Stripped does not.

Q: How would you install new programs on Unix?
      A: RPM commands

Q: How to detect frozen/stuck process, and how to debug it?

Q: What are UNC paths in windows?
        Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

HR normally screen the applications based on certain keywords that match the job description, and then the filtered candidates are passed to some coordinator to do further filtering. They will look at your resume and usually for new grads they look for top marks and for professional hires they look for experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation that you have been in and how did you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at IBM.

Applied online and about a month and a half later heard back about wanting to speak more about my application. First interview was over the phone and not so formal - got to learn about the position and company a little more. Second interview was more formal - was asked to talk about myself and my related experience; strengths, weaknesses; other typical interview questions. Got offered the position within the same week.

Software Developer Internship Interview

Questions about general Computer Science concepts.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most challenging problem you have encountered before?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2012.

I applied online for this temporary role. I received a call by HR to set up interview and the week after I appeared in 2 quick rounds of in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any technical interviews...just required a bit more detail on my previous experience in order to evaluate my ability to manage the 6 month assignment.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

DB2 Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in April 2013.

1. Apply on IBM's website
    2. Asked for transcript
    3. Phone interview

Interview Questions
    • None. HR asked some experience and introduced the job.   Answer Question

Enterprise Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

IBM Human Resources in Montreal contacted me requesting a telephone interview with HR first. Then my application was sent to the director of enterprise architecture in Edmonton Alberta. The director requested a face 2 face interview, but I was unable to do that. We set-up a telephone interview and the call lasted about half an hour. The director requested that I meet with an Executive Consultant, Strategy & Transformation (IBM Global Business Services) in Toronto.

The Executive Consultant asked about my background and various HR related questions. I did not get the role mainly, because of the Executive Consultant that I met.