IBM

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

I interviewed at my college's career center. I interviewed with 3 people back to back for 30 mins each. One case interview, two more behavioral interviews. Only one round! I got a phone call a couple of weeks later letting me know that they were going to offer me a job, and got the official offer letter a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
  • Case interview wasn't too bad, was asked about experience in other countries, what I learned from being abroad   Answer Question
It was my best offer so I did not try to negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

I interviewed through college recruiting. Only one round of interviews, format of one case and 2 behaviorals, half hour each. It was pretty simple, seemed like they were looking for good personality and passion rather than case expertise like most consulting firms. They want people who understand IBM's mission for cloud, mobile, social and analytics so be sure to convey your interest in those areas.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

Interview was rather interestingly formatted. It was 1.5 hours total but had three 30-minute smaller interview components back-to-back-to-back: 1 case interview; 1 technical interview; 1 behavioural interview. The case interview was pretty straightforward in that you are hypothetically put in a business situation and have to resolve some issue. The technical interview was also fairly easy but contingent on the nature of the consulting position you apply for (strong likelihood of the interviewer asking coding questions and/or small calculations). The behavioural interview is the easiest - just make sure you're good at talking about yourself!

Interview Questions
    • What's the smartest decision you've ever made in your life?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

3 30 minute round interview - 2 behavioral and 1 case. Behaviorals were very straightforward: name a time you displayed leadership, worked in a group, etc. Case was verbally given by interviewer, had to take notes, make quick calculations, but overall took about 15 of the allotted 30 min. Very basic and accounting-based.

Interview Questions
    • Case was about 2 pizza restaurants, listed difference revenues, profits, cost per unit, needed to figure out how to make one more profitable.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Participated in recruiting through the university I attend. First there was a simple resume drop and then a final round interview with 2 behavioral interviews and 1 case interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected and the case was straightforward   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2014.

3 interviews each half an hour. 1 case, 2 behavioral. These are not in any particular order. They case was very easy math and the behavioral questions were straight-forward asking about your response to a situation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to teach something to someone and it didnt work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Very long process. Three telephone screens -- first with HR, second with peer consultant, third with consulting management. The next phase is a face-2-face all-day interview blitz. 4 more rounds of interviews and finish the day with a group case study.

Interview Questions
    • The case study is fairly quick, but lots of pressure. There's a final presentation at the end of the day.   View Answer
    Fairly simple. There's room to negotiate on both the base salary, as well as the starting bonus.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM.

3 back-to-back interview on campus. The interviewers were very friendly.

Pretty easy, just three interivews, 2 phone 1 on-site

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2013.

I applied online one month before, and applied again when I rec'd an email from my business school newsletter saying they are recruiting business majors.

Two weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I had a 1st (and final) round of interviews at their DC office. 1 case and 2 behavioral interviews. Over the course of the week, a recruiter called me to say that I got invited to an interview. From that call, I was able to switch from a different service line to another that matched my skills and career goals (so technically this could be considered an employee referral).

Interviewers were very friendly and the Interview Day introduced you to what you would be exposed to if you were to work at IBM. We saw demos such as Watson, smart parking app after the interviews were over.

The emails were confusing (HR side) it was not that greatly coordinated but eventually I worked around it and looked past that before accepting the offer. Depending on the service line you are applying for, you would have to take a skills/intelligence test.

Prepare for the interviews ahead of time and know why you want to work for IBM specifically for the service line you signed up for. Do your research ahead of time and if you get an offer, try to talk to as many employees as possible to get an insider's perspective. They don't recruit at universities as often as other companies since they already have an established name recognition worldwide.

Interview Questions
    • At a meeting with a bunch of executives, you listen to what they are saying about a particular area that clearly that don't have much knowledge about. You, having worked on a similar project, are an expertise compared to these executives. How would you exert yourself in this situation, knowing that you just started working at IBM in less than a year?   Answer Question
    Non negotiable, recruiter said my base salary was a premium compared to peers who rec'd a similar offer due to the skills I brought to the table