IBM Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2014
Updated Aug 25, 2014

77 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

Three interviews occurred during the same day. One right after the other. Each being 45 mins long. Behavioral mostly and asked if I understood what an implementation project looks like. You hear back after about 4 weeks.

Interview Questions
  • Most difficult question was a case study that highlighted the circumstances of a project and how I would deal with the client expectations if they were unrealistic.   View Answer
N/A

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Very long process. Three telephone screens -- first with HR, second with peer consultant, third with consulting management. The next phase is a face-2-face all-day interview blitz. 4 more rounds of interviews and finish the day with a group case study.

Interview Questions
    • The case study is fairly quick, but lots of pressure. There's a final presentation at the end of the day.   View Answer
    Fairly simple. There's room to negotiate on both the base salary, as well as the starting bonus.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

3 back-to-back interview on campus. The interviewers were very friendly.

Pretty easy, just three interivews, 2 phone 1 on-site

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2013.

I applied online one month before, and applied again when I rec'd an email from my business school newsletter saying they are recruiting business majors.

Two weeks later, I received an email notifying me that I had a 1st (and final) round of interviews at their DC office. 1 case and 2 behavioral interviews. Over the course of the week, a recruiter called me to say that I got invited to an interview. From that call, I was able to switch from a different service line to another that matched my skills and career goals (so technically this could be considered an employee referral).

Interviewers were very friendly and the Interview Day introduced you to what you would be exposed to if you were to work at IBM. We saw demos such as Watson, smart parking app after the interviews were over.

The emails were confusing (HR side) it was not that greatly coordinated but eventually I worked around it and looked past that before accepting the offer. Depending on the service line you are applying for, you would have to take a skills/intelligence test.

Prepare for the interviews ahead of time and know why you want to work for IBM specifically for the service line you signed up for. Do your research ahead of time and if you get an offer, try to talk to as many employees as possible to get an insider's perspective. They don't recruit at universities as often as other companies since they already have an established name recognition worldwide.

Interview Questions
    • At a meeting with a bunch of executives, you listen to what they are saying about a particular area that clearly that don't have much knowledge about. You, having worked on a similar project, are an expertise compared to these executives. How would you exert yourself in this situation, knowing that you just started working at IBM in less than a year?   Answer Question
    Non negotiable, recruiter said my base salary was a premium compared to peers who rec'd a similar offer due to the skills I brought to the table

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Easy process. Phone screen then interview in office -- 3 30 minute interviews. Whole thing took several months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Was contacted in August for a resume drop, then contacted again in September for interviews. Flown out to NYC office for interviews in late September. Interviews lasted only one morning, consisting of 1 case and 2 behavioral. My interviewer for the case was very unprepared and was looking up her case while I gave my "tell me about yourself" talk. Behavioral interviews were pretty standard. After the interview, I was told decisions would not be made until November. In the first week of November I was emailed saying I was still under consideration. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything, I emailed the recruiter and was replied to with a rejection.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone of an idea.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Submitted application via on-campus recruiting. Despite a mix-up where they sent the wrong online application information to different interviewees (including me) I overall thought it was very professional. All recruiters were very friendly and open to answering questions. The interview itself had three half-hour components (they only do a single round of interviews), two behavioral and one case. The case was one of the easiest I've seen, very straightforward and the math was quite simple. All interviews are done with fairly senior employees who were ill-informed about the entry-level position, so I found it a little bit difficult to ask them questions about what to expect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Standard consulting hiring process: two behavioral and one case interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

I interviewed for IBM Global Business Services' Consulting By Degrees training program last October. It was only one round of interviews consisting of three 30 minute sessions with two partners and a VP. Two of the sessions were behavioral/resume based and one was a qualitative case interview. At the beginning of the case interview, I began to jot down numbers that the VP was giving me in the question, but before I got very far he said I wouldn't need to make any calculations. Treating the case from a purely qualitative stance, it was very easy to come up with a solution. The case involved customer service. Two of my interviewers were very friendly, but one of the partners was a no-nonsense, straight to the point kind of guy.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an instance in which you were innovative.   Answer Question
    I did not need to negotiate. I asked for a later start-date and they fulfilled that request.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!