IBM

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

83 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consulting Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in July 2007.

The first round was a phone interview. Questions were generally on my background, skills and past experience. I was asked to come on-site for another round of interview. I interviewed with about 6 of the leadership team individually. It was intense. They covered everything from job experience, skills, why this position, career goals, fit with team and a couple of case questions thrown in

Interview Questions
The initial offer was very low and employer gave no flexibility to negotiate up

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in August 2008.

IBM has a rigorous interview process. It starts with Staffing agency that fills in huge number of forms before they even can submit you. Most of the staffing agencies as well have pretty tough criterions for you on communication and experience. This is followed by the IBM recruiter calling you and verifying on the information. Then is the technical interview for which they invite you to a location and they take good care of you. This is a panel interview followed by personal interview.

I had multiple offers

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

2 Phone interviews (1 hr each), both had following 4 steps:
    1. General introduction, description of the GBS consulting practice etc. interviewer would ask your brief introduction also.
    2. Case: for me it was organizational restructuring of a telecom service provider, and second interview - M&A and profitability of a bottle manufacturer. 30-35 mins. There was screen sharing, so I could get data on my screen. Interviewer asked me to analyze data and explain it etc.
    3. Behavioral questions: Walk me through your resume. Why consulting? Why IBM? Conflict in the team? Leadership example? etc.
    4. Do you have any question? Location preference? Industry preference? etc.
    Subsequent interview was only behavioral 1/2 hr - same questions as in step 3.

All the very best!

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in March 2009.

Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts. Content not relevant or helpful to our community. Text in ALL CAPS or using excessively poor grammar . Rants, venting, or obscenities
    Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2009.

Initial online application, then selected for an interview.
    Interview was two phases, an hour each.
    First hour with one employee: Behavioral/situational questions
    Hour 2: Case interview, to exhibit strategic thinking and analytical skils

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision that was not popular.   View Answer
    • There are three suppliers, the interviewer listed rates and contract terms. Please choose the best supplier option.   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate my offer, our entire University hire recruiting class came in at the same rate

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in December 2011.

I was appying to IBM Global, as a software developer. The job title was Consultant, which is a senior developer role just below the Team Lead. I had 4 years of experience.
    I was asked to fill up my acedemic and professional background first. This copy was then sent to the interviewer as a soft copy. Then my phone interview took place, inside IBM's campus in Gurgaon. This interview took around 30 minutes, and was mostly based on what I had already done (Middleware technologies, WBIBM). I had to wait afterwards for around 30 minutes to hear their decision.
    After clearing the telephonic round, I was brisked away to a conference room, where another person, a project manager at IBm, took my technical/HR interview. This was aptitude-based, and relied on problem solving within my domain. This lasted 20-25 minutes.
    The result was not declared right then. I was called two days after this interview for the final HR round at IBM. This interview was again with a Project Manager, but consisted mainly of negotiations on my salary and other questions an HR would normally ask. This interview lasted around 45 minutes.
    After clearing all the rounds and accepting the informal offer that was given, I was made to wait around 2 weeks for a formal offer letter, after which I resigned. My notice period was two months, and IBM constantly called me to request an earlier joining date. I, however, refused joining early. I also negotiated about the place of joining. They wanted me to join their Kolkata branch, but I didn't face an issue changing it to my desired Gurgaon (Delhi NCR) location.
    I was asked to fill up additional forms after that, and courier a copy to their main office in Bangalore.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to design a Middleware solution from scratch, using MQ principles. JAVA had to be incorporated as a front-end. It had to be customized according to the client's requirements.   Answer Question
    I have described everything in my review above. In addition, I would like to advice you to negotiate hard regarding your salary. Software companies can be very thrifty, and I was able to negotiate almost 20% more.

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in August 2010.

There was one just one round of interviewing.
    It was a technical round.
    a lot of specific questions around the subject area.
    The company is laid back.
    People can be easily lost in the processes that are in place here.
    One person contacts you for hiring, another on negotiation, another on offer letter, another on onboarding.

Interview Questions
    Yes. better now than never.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in March 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter, who performed a phone screen. I was then interviewed by a manager in the consulting practice. Once I passed these steps, I was invited to an in-person interview session in Dallas. In Dallas, I interviewed with three managers and made a presentation. I contacted an HR manager a week later, and she told me there was an offer in progress, but it wasn't ready yet. I think I received an official offer two weeks after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation where you worked with someone from a different background.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2011.

Hiring and interview process is good. They use to have total 3 rounds.
    1st will be technical
    2nd management review
    3rd HR round

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM in October 2011.

From a non-target school, they call you for a first round on the phone. Second round is on-site, consisted of one case interview and two behavioral interviews.