IBM Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Austin, TX).

Interview

There were two interviews on campus. A couple weeks later they sent me an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with a manager and a recruiter. It took 30 minutes. During the phone interview they asked mostly questions about my resume, projects, and some behavioral questions. They focused a lot on teamwork experience. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Used a job board. Initial contact via telephone and e-mail. Once selected for an interview, interviewed with 4 areas. I was hosted by an great employee, who took me around the town from my hotel. If selected, then formal job offer given.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty laid back. It was hard because the areas were different so it was confusing to try to figure out how to answer because it ended up being multiple job possibilities.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was with mail, so it wasn't so much negotiation as one might expect, at least that was my experience. There are guidelines in this company, but you can try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Research Triangle Park, NC) in June 2012.

Interview

Different than industry. Must know some one inside. applying through regular channels don't work most of the time. Human resources department representative didn't sow up for any interview. Benefits information and general information was not provided.

Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Yonkers, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me... followed by a pre-screen by the manager... followed by a telephone interview by a senior Engineer... followed by an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

They didn't have any particular project they need people to work on... it almost sounded like they need someone to walk in and do something fantastic so that their group's average rating goes up. Not goal-oriented team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

Spoke with rep at career fair. I followed up by email to make sure they had my info. I then was emailed back and told to apply for a specific position via the website. I did that and then was phoned for an interview and then they made a decision after I sent some more info in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in February 2009.

Interview

First there was phone interview with the hiring position manager. After it's passed, I got the invitation to go to the site for one day interview. I met with the manager and he/she arranged the whole day interview including presentation, 1-1 interviews with the group key members and the higher level manager. After 1-2 weeks, I got the notice of job offer.

Interview Questions

• what's your career expectation after 10 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM (Austin, TX) in July 2008.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen. Lots of technical questions, but I decided not to take the job.

Interview Questions

• Something about what database table schema to use in a particular scenerio to keep the data normalized. I wasn't that difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Not a good fit for what I want to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Essex Junction, VT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Essex Junction, VT) in February 2008.

Interview

Met with recruiter at job fair, then set up a 1:1 campus interview. This interview was explaining my resume and previous work experience and why I would be a good fit at the company, That went well so I was recommended for a phone interview with a manager. That was mostly a behavioral interview with..."tell me a time..." After a few days I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and how that experience has helped you later on   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Essex Junction, VT

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM (Essex Junction, VT) in January 2008.

Interview

Very relaxed environment. If they are paying your travel expenses for the interview, you have a very high percentage of being hired. The key is to pass all of the prescreening.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on the advancement of the semiconductor industry?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in June 2012.

Interview

The interview process consists of three rounds..
    1. Group Discussion
    2. Technical knowledge
    3. PI

Interview Questions

• how could u make 5+5= 545?   1 Answer