IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Essex Junction, VT

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communications started through the recruitment at my university. There, they just wanted to learn more about me and figure out which job positions I would be most interested in. After applying, I received a call from the hiring manager and was asked a few of the same questions. Nothing too difficult, just about what my interests were and how I like to work in school (working in groups is stressed highly at IBM).

I then had an onsite interview where I talked with 6 different people for about an hour each. Some were just because of shared interests, others because of where I would be working. That process was really just for them to see if I was a bearable person to work with. They want to see if you can hold conversations with people of all types.

After this, I had to take two tests. One was a personality test. The other was a reasoning/IQ type test. I had to complete these before they would proceed any further. The reasoning test was really difficult and was timed. I thought I did very poorly but was still offered a job.

I was informed about a week later and was given a week to inform them of my intentions.

Interview Question – Most difficult part was the on site interview. It was just a long and grueling process. Make sure to get plenty of rest and drink some coffee before hand, even if you arent a coffee drinker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Compact Modeling Engineer Interview

Compact Modeling Engineer
Essex Junction, VT

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at IBM in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position and received an email from the manager to set-up a 30 min. phone screen. During the phone screen, the manager explained the position in more detail and gave me an understanding of what the group does. He also tried to get a feel for my academic and research background and asked questions based on my resume. A week later, he invited me to come over for an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of breakfast with the manager himself, followed by a one-hour seminar talk based on my master's thesis, and seven 1:1 interviews (45 min. each). At half-time, there was also lunch with the entire team and a lab tour.
    During the seminar talk, I felt like they were trying to gauge my confidence level, and test how well I communicate and am able to explain my thesis in layman terms. All the interviews following the seminar were mostly behavioral or revolved around my research work.

Interview Question – 1) Can you explain the working of a MOSFET?
2) Where do you see yourself in five years?
3) How have you dealt with an uncooperative team member in the past?
4) Several questions based on my thesis work and resume.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a new college graduate, I did not negotiate. The offer seemed fair for a RCG.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Product Development Engineer
Essex Junction, VT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – IBM came to the college campus and hosted open interviews, they took my resume and contacted me within 72 hours.

This was followed up with a 1 hour phone interview and upon completion I was asked to come onsite for another interview. This started with breakfast between myself and a hiring manager and then a 45 minute presentation to a group of managers and engineers.

I had several 30 minute interviews with various managers and engineers at IBM and lunch was also provided.

At the end of the day I was asked which position I liked best and with what department best fit me.

I was offered the position within a week with the department I chose.

Negotiation Details – The offer was more than generous for a fresh college graduate.

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer
Essex Junction, VT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in April 2008.

Interview Details – Very easy and laid back. First interviewer superficially assess your technical knowledge. Second interview was more about fit with potential team you would be working with.

Interview Question – Give an example of leadership outside a classroom setting.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Essex Junction, VT

The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in January 2008.

Interview Details – Very relaxed environment. If they are paying your travel expenses for the interview, you have a very high percentage of being hired. The key is to pass all of the prescreening.

Interview Question – What are your thoughts on the advancement of the semiconductor industry?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Essex Junction, VT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2008.

Interview Details – Met with recruiter at job fair, then set up a 1:1 campus interview. This interview was explaining my resume and previous work experience and why I would be a good fit at the company, That went well so I was recommended for a phone interview with a manager. That was mostly a behavioral interview with..."tell me a time..." After a few days I was offered the job.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you failed and how that experience has helped you later on   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM interview questions and advice in Essex Junction, VT. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.