IBM

Average Difficulty
46 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Easy breezy - I was very prepared so the process was not bad at all - just prepare well and you will do fine - read annual reports - asked pointed / hard hitting questions regarding the role

Interview Question – What's your name   Answer Question

Rochester, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Interview Details – Drove to Rochester, MN for 2 interviews. Half hour each right after another. Interviews are with would be direct supervisors, a position you could attain in a few years. General HR questions, a few questions on familiarity of excel. No job specific questions.

Interview Question – Are you okay with moving to Rochester? There is no nightlife here....   View Answer

Reason for Declining – More money somewhere else.

Very Easy Interview

Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2010.

Interview Details – One interview was conducted with two interviewers. They did most of the talking and I answered a few questions. They were hiring hundreds of analysts for a finance center and it was a simple interview.

Interview Question – The interviewers did not ask unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate what was offered.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – It was pretty straight forward with the interviewer asking about my previous experiences. I basically ran through what was on my resume and touched on some of the most important aspects that related to the job offering.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had an interview in Rochester, MN. A friend who works there dropped off my application and they called me to set up an interview right away. I was told that it would be an hour long interview with two people interviewing for thirty minutes each. The entrance that you need to go into is fairly hard to find so I would suggest getting there plenty early. I entered the main entrance and checked in with the lady behind the counter. The first person interviewing me was a male manager. He just walked through my resume and asked me to explain each part and asked how well I knew excel. This person was supposed to be the one asking me more technical questions. The technical questions weren't very difficult or in depth. He mostly asked about any financial equations you've used for classes or using excel. Pivot tables were brought up and asked if I had used them. Most people don't use pivot tables that I've talked to before working there but its something they frequently use. The setting was very relaxed with him and it went pretty smoothly. Nothing difficult and very relaxing. The next person came in to interview and was a female manager. She asked more situational questions along with going over my resume quickly. This was very relaxed as well and a little more thought provoking but nothing too difficult. I ended up interviewing for an extra half an hour for a total of one and half hours. It really does fly by once you begin talking back and forth. They will jot down answers to questions on resumes of yours that were printed off. My GPA was below the 3.2 that IBM looks for and she asked me to explain what I had. Ive heard that if you can explain how you have improved over the last couple of years they are understanding and will offer you a job still if the interview goes well. Overall it was a very relaxed process and not very difficult. This was my first professional interview. I am still waiting on an offer.

Interview Question – If your manager wants a report handed in and will be thankful and praise you for giving it to him/her but you know that it will not provide the information that need even though they still want it what would you do?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Based on internships and co-ops

Negotiation Details – They would not negotiate.

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my university website, consisted of submitting my resume and some admin work. Heard back about a month later, saying that I qualified for an on-campus interview. The interview was really relaxed and calm. Explained some things on my resume. Answered some basic behavioral questions. Nothing too difficult, just needed to hold a conversation.

Interview Question – Questions were very general and broad. "Explain a time you were challenged" "Explain a time you dealt with poor clients"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing. Co-op position. Wage is based on credits towards major.

Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM in April 2013.

Interview Details – Rochester, MN - The interview was mostly behavioral. Asking lots of questions about experience in college and internships. They wanted to know all about my work with Excel and how experienced I was with maintaining large amounts of data (this is where internship experience also helps).

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to take the lead of a group, and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating.

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Interview Details – Career Fair, Interviewed with 2 different managers back to back the following day on campus

Interview Question – How would you describe your skill with Excel on a scale of 1 to 10.   View Answer

Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2009.

Interview Details – Very extensive process involving several rounds of interviews with many people. Many types of various questions around strengths, weaknesses. Other questions included scenario type questions such as "tell me about a time when.....and how did you handle it"? Also asked questions around why you want to work for IBM and what your goals are, where do you see yourself 5, 10 years from now?

Interview Question – How would you explain IRR to a non Finance person?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Their offer was $20K/year below another offer I had and they did not want to match or beat the other offer.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!