IBM

Getting the Interview

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Based on internships and co-ops

Negotiation Details – They would not negotiate.

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my university website, consisted of submitting my resume and some admin work. Heard back about a month later, saying that I qualified for an on-campus interview. The interview was really relaxed and calm. Explained some things on my resume. Answered some basic behavioral questions. Nothing too difficult, just needed to hold a conversation.

Interview Question – Questions were very general and broad. "Explain a time you were challenged" "Explain a time you dealt with poor clients"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing. Co-op position. Wage is based on credits towards major.

Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM in April 2013.

Interview Details – Rochester, MN - The interview was mostly behavioral. Asking lots of questions about experience in college and internships. They wanted to know all about my work with Excel and how experienced I was with maintaining large amounts of data (this is where internship experience also helps).

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to take the lead of a group, and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating.

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Interview Details – Career Fair, Interviewed with 2 different managers back to back the following day on campus

Interview Question – How would you describe your skill with Excel on a scale of 1 to 10.   View Answer

Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2009.

Interview Details – Very extensive process involving several rounds of interviews with many people. Many types of various questions around strengths, weaknesses. Other questions included scenario type questions such as "tell me about a time when.....and how did you handle it"? Also asked questions around why you want to work for IBM and what your goals are, where do you see yourself 5, 10 years from now?

Interview Question – How would you explain IRR to a non Finance person?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Their offer was $20K/year below another offer I had and they did not want to match or beat the other offer.

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Interview process included 2 fifteen minute interviews on campus following a career fair.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, very straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Internship so no negotiation

Rochester, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through Career Development Center at College. Consisted of a phone interview and two, same day face-to-face interviews. Took about two weeks from first interview to offer letter.

Interview Question – Know your Excel!!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Other than starting date, everything else is non-negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

Interview Details – I got an interview following my college career fair. I met with two representatives for approximately 20 minutes each. Both reps were from the finance employees who also went to my school. Neither were HR reps, so the interview was quite informal and simple.

Interview Question – I was asked to defend items on my resume   Answer Question

Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2011.

Interview Details – I first received a call from the recruiter and she was trying to sell me on coming. The weather is really bad here but I was okay with it. Then I had two back to back interviews, the first with the hiring manager and the second with another financial analyst. The first interviewer was really nice and asked easy questions. The second interviewer grilled me and really challenged my experiences. I thought I failed for sure but received an offer.

Interview Question – Do you really work there (the company on my resume)? Does this company exist?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, very strict crappy salary

Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online after a career fair on campus. Got the called and I drove to Rochester to interview. I met with two different people a "Team Lead" and a Manager. They were both very nice and the questions were not too hard. They asked questions about my Excel skills and my ability to deal with people.

Interview Question – Excel questions and it helped to have knowledge of specific terms like Pivot Table, VLookup, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, If you get an offer for an FA it will be for 40K

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM Financial Analyst interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.