IBM Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2014

2.6

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in May 2011.

Interview took place just after college graduation season at the beginning of the summer. There were two phone interviews back-to-back, about half an hour each. The first one went closer to 45 minutes which is usually a good thing, but apparently not this time. Had a good idea of the likely salary offer and qualifications of other candidates/employees for the same position; my credentials were quite a bit higher at least in terms of educational background. 1st interview was with a finance manager, which was a brief exchange of who I am and what IBM Rochester does, followed by an in-depth conversation about my background, current activities, and short-term plans. The finance manager was very arrogant and decided it was in the best interest of IBM to focus on miniscule details of my background that reflect no tangible aspect of my qualifications, rather than focusing on the bigger picture; ie goals in working for IBM, my interests, what I would contribute, etc. It was more of an assault on various minor aspects of my resume that I have never been asked about than an actual interview or reciprocal interaction that typical human beings normally have. The 2nd interview was with someone from HR asking the normal cliche behavioral interview questions about past experiences and how I responded. Quite worthless, but hard to complain since that is pretty ubiquitous in terms of interviewing with corporations. At the end of each interview I asked a couple finance-based questions regarding the company, its performance in recent years, growth opportunities, etc. Each interviewer's answer was beyond disappointing; the manager snickered and gave some snide condescending retort, probably because a quality answer would have required him to acknowledge the existence of other people. HR person acted like I just asked her a question coming from a PhD thesis paper on quantum physics. Needless to say, the finance manager wasn't able to surmount the few imperfections on my resume to realize how qualified I was, so my relationship with IBM Rochester ended there.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you STILL in school getting a graduate degree in business right after getting your undergraduate degree?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Interview consist of several stages. The 1st stage is phone interview with Human Resources personnel located at Cyberjaya. The phone interview is more about the perception towards the position applied, background checks and the current education study then later need to sit for online test. the test is more to IQ test and each question inly given 2.5 minutes to be answered. the question consist of simple mathematics quetions and about 40 question. if after shortlisted, then only you will go to walk-in interview.

Interview Questions
    • Random question and mostly connected to each other. Be prepared to be able to answer chain queation because what you answer will lead to another question   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Received an email from HR to have two interviews with two Finance Managers. One interviewer scrutinized my resume in detail; the second one was easy going. Received invitation to the second round. I interviewed with the CFO of IBM Canada - she was very straightforward

Interview Questions
    • What is the relationship between the nature of your jobs as an intern? Caught me off-guard because I had four internships in four different companies & industries   Answer Question
    No negotiation; new grad so not much beside internships under my belt.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

The hiring and interview process for this position was probably the shortest out of any I have experienced. I interviewed with them when they were on campus for a Job fair. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and involved pretty basic interview questions. After the interview I was told I would hear back within two weeks whether I got the job or not. Sure enough two weeks later I was given a job offer. No follow up interview, no negotiation. The hiring for this position must have been outsourced because after I received the offer I was contacted by an HR representative by telephone with dismal English skills and contact information form India.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer because It was the first offer I had received and after that I was presented with better offers from other companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Somers, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Somers, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at IBM in February 2012.

Very informative process. I recommend to do your reviewing and see how things go. It will be over the phone interviews. So I recommend practicing your vocal skills and trying to convey a sense of companionship and initiative. Its very easy to sounds bland and boring. But bland and boring will not land the job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you have to bring to the company?   View Answer
    Straightforward.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2013.

Three interviews (two by phone, and one face-to-face) including a math/logic test after the first one. The interviews were aimed at checking your communication skills rather than anything else. During the face-to-face interview they also asked about the salary I expect to earn provided I am approved. Although I am not sure if that influenced their offer, the salary I got offered was the same as the one I suggested.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Applied online after a career fair on campus. Got the called and I drove to Rochester to interview. I met with two different people a "Team Lead" and a Manager. They were both very nice and the questions were not too hard. They asked questions about my Excel skills and my ability to deal with people.

Interview Questions
    • Excel questions and it helped to have knowledge of specific terms like Pivot Table, VLookup, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, If you get an offer for an FA it will be for 40K

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2011.

I first received a call from the recruiter and she was trying to sell me on coming. The weather is really bad here but I was okay with it. Then I had two back to back interviews, the first with the hiring manager and the second with another financial analyst. The first interviewer was really nice and asked easy questions. The second interviewer grilled me and really challenged my experiences. I thought I failed for sure but received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Do you really work there (the company on my resume)? Does this company exist?   View Answer
    No negotiation, very strict crappy salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2009.

I was hired through an on campus process. It was poorly managed from a communications standpoint.

Interview Questions
    One sided, at IBM you take or leave the offer generally.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at IBM.

The process was ok, I had to wait a little bit long for the offer, but it was correct.

Interview Questions

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!