IBM IT Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Updated Jun 23, 2014

55 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IBM.

Spoke with a former and future manager as well as a colleague whom I would be working with. Basically informal to the extent they wanted to get to know the person rather than a fact sheet of skills.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Recruited me straight out of college and paid for my relo. Had 3 separate rounds of interviews

Interview Questions
    • How can you program when you don't have a degree for it   View Answer

IT Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM.

Campus recruiting was easy and fast

Very easy negotiation process in 2009

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM.

There was a long period of waiting during the hiring freeze after an IBM employee reached out as initial interest. After hiring freeze ended, two customary HR interviews took place, and I was hired. This process was unorthodox compared to standard hiring process; the standard is to begin with university internship, post internship interview, then employer decision.

Interview Questions
    • 30 minute intelligence test composing of many IQ-esque questions. (Matrix transpositions, pattern matching, simple math with large numbers, etc.)   Answer Question
    Negotiation attempted, employer inflexible on offer.

IT Specialist Interview

This was over 13 years ago, so it's changed by now. I was recruited right out of college, and interviewed the standard set of questions. It was more technical at the time, and my transcript spoke for itself (in terms of what I knew). They wanted to know more about whether I would travel full time, and about some of the project work I did at the University.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions for me are always the one where they ask you about the "most difficult thing that ever happened to you, and how did you respond?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation, as I was right out of college. It was the best offer by far, compared to all my college roommates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2011.

I frequently researched companies and their applicant processes on Glassdoor so I wanted to post an informative description of the interview process for the position I accepted with IBM.

I am recent grad and found this opportunity on Dice. I pursued two internship opportunities while in college with IT firms and earned a strong GPA. After applying, I was notified by recruiters by email that I was chosen to interview over the phone. The only interviews were over the phone and they were 3 45 min interviews. Two were with Project Managers and one was with a younger employee. The interviews with the Project Managers were pretty open-ended. A lot of the questions were "situational" in nature. Both managers seemed interested in my work experience while in college and allowed me to expand on the skills I learned (SQL, Java, etc) and my responsibilities. Be able to answer why you chose to work for IBM without giving a canned response. Make sure you are prepared to answer any type of behavioral-type interview questions during the interview with the PMs.

My conversation with the younger employee was a little more technical. He wanted to know what languages I was comfortable with and asked me fundamental questions like "What are the four cornerstones of OOP". Nothing too difficult really - just research common tech interview questions. The interviews went well and they made me a preliminary offer. They seemed to be more interested in finding great, young talent that can work well with a team rather than a developer with 5 years of experience and plenty of SDLC knowledge. However, I would say my previous work experience was instrumental in getting noticed.

Still, I had to complete the IBM IPAT exam after the preliminary offer - do your research before completing it b/c it might be difficult if you are unprepared. Also, there is probably a minimum score you need to attain in order to proceed to the next step. I will not go too in-depth about it because it specifically states not to do so, but you can find basic info on different forums via google search about the format. After the exam, I received an official offer and a whole bunch of paperwork to fill out online. There is a week of orientation at the home office before they send you on-site.

Honestly, the offer was at least 8K more than my other offers. While the home office for GBS is in Herndon, VA, it was communicated to me that much of the work will be done in DC and the higher salary may be accounting for cost of living, frequent travel requirements, etc. but I can't be sure. Regardless, the offer was much higher than what I expected to make my first year out of college and IBM does have a strong reputation as one of the best employers for young IT professionals in the D.C. area, IMO. My interviews with about 5 smaller IT firms in the area were much more technical and paid less. My interview experiences with these firms were not as enjoyable.

This is just about everything I remember about the applicant process. I will be sure to post a review of my role after I have been with the company for an ample amount of time. To this point, my interaction with IBM has been pleasant and I am excited to engage the project I am assigned to.

Interview Questions
    • If you are assigned to a project that has an approaching deadline you will not make, what will you tell the client?   Answer Question
    • Name the languages you are comfortable with and rate them on a scale of 1-10.   Answer Question
    • Why IBM?   Answer Question
    • What are the fundamental principals of OOP?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were on a team and things were not going so well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2011.

I got my interview through a university and then was put in touch with a recruiter. I got contact information for three interviewers and had to call them all one after the other. To be completely honest, I have interviewed for quite a few different jobs while in college and the people I interviewed with were among the most pleasant I've experienced. They seemed down to Earth, and the interview was the right amount of balance between a question and answer on both ends. Honestly, just speak passionately about what you know and love from your resume, because that will really make the interview more comfortable, I think.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. The offer was great, especially compared to what I would have gotten elsewhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2011.

I have applied several positions and i got an e-mail from main HR departmant. That process took a while (Lets say about 2 months) After Headquarters HR department. Local HR contacted me via e-mail. Then they called me to confirm interviews date.
    At the interview day i went 5 minutes erarlier to the facility. I waited about ten minutes and my interviewer showed up. She was reaaly nice, helpful and polite. She explained job duties and reqirements again. and started to ask me questions about my resume. She took notes all the time.
    She asked about my career goals and explained to me what kind of opportunites they can offer.
    Salary issue was not a big deal. She asked me about it but. We did not discuss about a certain number.
    Then i got a call from HR department at the Headquarter they offered me that position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Fishkill, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in May 2011.

Phone call asking multiple questions about how I would react to a situtation and what I would like to do for their company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in February 2011.

It took IBM three months to call me for an interview. The staff was courteous and professional. The interview was very formal. I interviewed one on on and with a group of two people. This was for the Columbia data center. I think the culture there is much different than that of the rest of IBM on the whole.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure. All the questions were specific and technical, relating to the job itself.   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!