IBM

2.9

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in June 2007.

The one question you are certain to be asked is going to somehow relate to travel such as "Would you be willing to relocate?". They will ask this question even if the job you are applying for is local. IBM expects people to be willing to change and adapt in many ways and a negative answer on this question will hurt your chances. Most "long time" IBMers I know have changed assignments and work locations many times and that is what IBM likes. If you do not want to travel or relocate then you might want to consider another company to work for.

They also like self-starters on education as they have a great deal of online training programs for employees and they want you to use them aggressively. Some local managers will give you time to do this but most will tell you self-development is an option so do it on your own time. None the less they want you to do lots of self-development because expanded skill sets = expanded placement potential if they need you somewhere else. If you do not want to be constantly taking online classes off the clock then you might want to consider another company to work for.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brasília, Federal District (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brasília, Federal District (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in January 2013.

The hiring processo took too long, with a lot of interviews with different people, since technical team to management team.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you think we should choose you?"   View Answer
    No negotiation. They just offered more than I asked!

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrocław (Poland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrocław (Poland)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in January 2014.

Initial communication was through phone call, 1st general information was asked. 2nd Technical interview. 3rd Manager round of interview. Last was HR round where salary was negotiated via email. Later all the communication was through email. Offer was released once salary was finalized. Salary was not negotiable even when I was being asked for my expectations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in February 2011.

It took IBM three months to call me for an interview. The staff was courteous and professional. The interview was very formal. I interviewed one on on and with a group of two people. This was for the Columbia data center. I think the culture there is much different than that of the rest of IBM on the whole.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure. All the questions were specific and technical, relating to the job itself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Recruited me straight out of college and paid for my relo. Had 3 separate rounds of interviews

Interview Questions
    • How can you program when you don't have a degree for it   View Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2009.

Hiring process was thru a job fair and first interview was done by HR, then submitted to hiring manager. After 2 weeks, technical architect would interview for about 1 hours, after passing the technical session , then hiring manager would conduct the behavioral interview, all these process took 1 months.

Interview Questions
    Hiring manager will contact you asking for salary range, advice to others please do not hesitate to negotiate.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in June 2007.

The process for technical professionals usually takes really much time. In my case it took almost one year between the interview for recruiter from hiring agency and job offer. In fact, I have passed three interviews: by phone with agency recruiter, face-to-face meeting at the agency office, face-to-face interview with my future local manager and foreign manager together. I had to wait about 9 months between the 2nd and the 3rd interview. It may differ for different people, but it's quite typical for this company.

The interview process was quite comfortable for me in both cases, it did not take too much time. People are polite and very open. They do not promise something, that they can not fulfil then.

"Dark horses" with high growth potential are rarely hired here. If the company can not find a person with particular skills, HR simply closes this vacancy. The company does invest big money in development of skills, but a platform (experience and practical skills) is usually required.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be able to spend next three months in a business trip outside of your home country?   Answer Question
    • Would you describe your recent project experience in English now?   Answer Question
    Do not try to negotiate too much, managers do not have lots of flexibilities. I would advice to ask about options that could be offered, in most of cases you will get the full answer without any cheating. And with no chance to negotiate something.

IT Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in August 2009.

got a call from HR, then waited 3 weeks for a followup, then was pitched the job. Sounded like a good opportunity so I waited another week for a phone screen. Everything went well and I was asked to come in 2 weeks later, and received an offer 2 weeks later. Very slow porcess, but was worth it to get a job I liked.

IT Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in April 2008.

I got a phone interview from HR, the interview questions were all about my experiences i described in my resume. Then i got an confirm email from HR to inform me to attend 2nd round interview.
    The 2nd round interview is a technical interview. One IT guy gave me this turn interview. Most of questions were around JAVA developing language and J2EE . the questions were very detailed. He even asked me some function about certain classes and parameter . Passed 2nd turn interview, i was told to prepare 3rd turn interview. This turn interview, i attended a group game and did IQ/EQ test. After 3 days , i got HR phone call the talk about the offer. i accepted this offer

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you faced failure and how you deal with it?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2010.

The position was for the kenan billing system. Thus the discussion was mainly about the billing system, previous projects , the clients . As a developer, essential knowledge in java, unix and oracle was required. Thus in the second level, the discussion was more like a technical one.

Interview Questions
    • How synchronization is helpful in multithreading?   View Answer
    • You are developing a PL/SQL block designed for bulk data operations. When attemping to store table data for multiple rows in a PL/SQL variable, which one of the following choices identifies the mechanism best suited for this task (choose one)?
      A. cursor
      B. varchar2
      C. record
      D. table of records

View Answer
    I could negotiate to an extend. But the company will always have a slab, and how much ever you try, they will not go beyond that limit.