IBM IT Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in May 2011.

Phone call asking multiple questions about how I would react to a situtation and what I would like to do for their company.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in March 2011.

one on one detailed interview about job activities and responsibilities related to job description how squinted with the environment what benefits will bring to company in supporting clients . how well you work in team

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in February 2011.

It took IBM three months to call me for an interview. The staff was courteous and professional. The interview was very formal. I interviewed one on on and with a group of two people. This was for the Columbia data center. I think the culture there is much different than that of the rest of IBM on the whole.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure. All the questions were specific and technical, relating to the job itself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

I applied through campus recruiting as well as on the website. I was contacted through email to attend a weekend long event in Virginia (close to Washington DC). Friday night was an informal dinner and Saturday was the interviews. There were 3 back to back interviews and questions depended on whatever the interviewer felt was appropriate. Since I have a CS background, 1 interviewer asked me technical questions related to UML/SQL. The other 2 interviewers asked me general behavioral questions. I also had to take a test online at some point with basic math and logic type questions (timing is what gets you on these!). At the interview they assured that applicants that the test was not very important in determining who will get hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

I knew someone who already worked there, so that's how I got the interview. I was interviewing for a specific software product, so the questions were very much detailed towards that. Not many "you're in a blender" type or non-technical questions at all. First contact was with a manager to do a pre-screening, then a technical interview. I was told right away after the interview that I got the job. Processing stuff took about a month or so, but it was also during the holidays.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a very specific question about the software product involving architecture that required detailed knowledge of the software product.   Answer Question
    The salary was already negotiated up front, very early on in the process. They gave me a range, and I said I wanted a certain number in that range that the manager agreed with.

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IBM in October 2009.

Submitted resume online through school joblink, was invited to a 2 day hiring event in VA. Expenses paid by IBM, dinner with other candidates and employees on Friday night and 3 20 minute interviews on Saturday. Offer received 3 weeks after interview.

The younger people were very nice and enthusiastic but the older more experienced workers seemed unhappy.

Interview Questions
    • What are you looking for in your career and how does that fit into IBM?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in October 2009.

I was hired by IBM right out of my university. I met with representatives at the career fair on campus and was invited to IBM's information session that evening. My interview date was then set up through our campus's career website where I interviewed for one day. The interview consisted of 3 separate 30 minute interviews which were all one on one. Two of the interviews were more informational and a back and forth conversation to get to know one another and included general interview questions such as "why IBM?", "why Washington DC?", and "tell me about your classroom experience."

The third was a "technical interview" which consisted of the interviewer looking at my resume and asking me general questions about what I had on the resume from a technical perspective.

After the 3 interviews were over, I was told that I would know something in 2 weeks, and I was sent the IPATO test through email which had to be completed. The IPATO is a logic/aptitude test that IBM requires, and I had a week to complete it.

I had my offer within 10 days of the interview and had 2 weeks to accept or decline.

Interview Questions
    Being right out of college, the salary and benefits were equal or better to the other companies I was speaking with, so I did not do much negotiating. If you are interviewing to be hired out of college, I would say it is more important to interview with multiple companies in order to get a feel for salaries and benefits in the industry rather than try to negotiate a specific company's offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in June 2009.

Usually what happens is that your resume has to have some kind of catch phrase or something that will give an eye catcher. Make sure that you research the teams you are looking to join and understand the suite of applicaitons or hardware (as well as you can) prior to any interview

Interview Questions
    • The interview I was on was more of a cheerleading type questions. IMO it seems if you make it to the interview they do want you   Answer Question
    No real negotiation since I was a College hire

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in July 2008.

There were several phone interviews where they asked me about the work I did in college and at my internship. They sent me a link to an intelligence test of sorts. It was basic logic type problems, nothing too hard or job specific. After the got the results, they offered to fly me to the DC area for a series of interviews. The interview took place on a Saturday, so they flew me out Friday night and then back Saturday night.

THE FLIGHT
    The scheduled the flight for me without really asking me what my preferences were. I was a 22 year old woman on my own out of state for the first time. They had me landing at Regan National airport at 12:05 am the morning of my interview. The hotel and interview were in Gaithersburg (45mins away). The airport terminal I landed at was deserted and extremely creepy. It took me almost over a half hour to find a cab. By the time I got to the hotel, it was just before 2am. I had to meet a shuttle at 7:45. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly refreshed for my interview. The interviews were from 8am to noon, and my flight was at 2:30pm... It was definitely a stressful day with a tight timeline.

THE INTERVIEWS
    I interviewed with a total of three different managers. They each asked me different types of questions: general, technical and HR. All three interviews were behavioral based. Overall, everyone I met was fairly laid back and easy to speak with. There were around 20 other college level people all there to be interviewed during the morning session. There was also an afternoon session with just as many people.
    --GENERAL
    These were very standard interview questions. What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses? Give an example of a problem you solved and a time you worked as part of a team.
    --Technical
    These were questions about things I had on my resume. The questions were things like "So, I see you did some Java work at your internship... tell me about that work." I answered the question, and they delved a little deeper into the technical aspects. They didn't ask me to write code or about anything I didn't bring up or have in my resume. They were definitely doing a BS check on the resume.
    --HR
    These were questions about me and what I was looking for in a company. They asked me about my desires for travel, if I was okay with moving to the area, etc. They were trying to find out if I would be a good fit
     with the corporate culture.

POST INTERVIEW
    The Monday following the interview, I received a call asking how everything went. They told me I'd receive word within a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks later, I received a call and an offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • What were the last 3 books you read for pleasure?   View Answer
    They were not willing to negotiate. They made it clear that there were plenty of other new college grads who would love to be in my position. I accepted the position anyway (they were right, IBM is a pretty good catch). Unfortunately, the IBM attitude of "you should feel honored to be chosen to be here" never really goes away. 6 years later, I'm one of only 2 people left out of the 100 people I started with at IBM on the same day... no joke.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishkill, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fishkill, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in July 2008.

Old interview process was good, multiple managers with an real interest in hiring. New employees sent off for a week of training. Can't speak to current process

Interview Questions
    straight forward offer made was within scope and accepted.