IBM Intern Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.7

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in September 2014.

IBM sent a senior hiring manager to a collective interview even that my program was hosting. They interviewed with all of the relevant students that were available in order to get a good feel for who was going to be a good fit. They knew that the program we are a part of was already giving us the technical competency to compete for the positions and so the interview was primarily based on how we would fit within the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
  • Most questions were not very technical, as it was more of a personality interview. The hardest question was "What is a challenge that you have faced in the past and how did you overcome it?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in April 2014.

Interviews with the team, 3 separate calls from people in different locations, casual conversation about work ethic and portfolio and processes in developing designs. Helped to give them a story of how and why you ended up where you are.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and then apply. They scheduled a online interview using Skype. The interviewers were friendly but they seemed a little bit in a hurry.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe myself, the typical "tell me about yourself"; it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

I was referred by a family friend when they had an opening for a summer intern. Because I was referred, I guess I skipped the initial HR inspection and went straight to the interviews. I had a first round chat with the team manager, who simply talked about the team and the project they work on and asked about me and what I was looking for. He was very polite and enjoyable to talk to. After the interview, he emailed me about 1-2 weeks later with an update that he had OK'd me for the next round and I was passed on to someone else on his team.

The second interview was more of a struggle, though it wasn't meant to be. I personally just have a hard time talking about myself, and that's what this interview consisted of. Additionally the team member brought along another team member without giving any prior notice so I was caught off guard and felt more uncomfortable at being on speakerphone. However, as far as intern interviews go, I think IBM is among the easier interviews as there were no technical questions. Both interviews were about half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project of yours and include specifics about the classes and data structures that you used.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IBM in March 2013.

The interview process was pretty laid back. I think the whole process took around 3 weeks. I submitted an application and received a call about two weeks later to interview the next week. I went on site and it was a round table interview with the hiring managers or someone they sent in their place to take notes. Questions were pretty normal. I only had one interview and got a job offer a couple weeks later. The managers just wanted to get a feel for who you were and what you wanted to learn so they could put you in the right department.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. They asked what you knew about IBM and why you wanted to be an intern there. They did ask me to give a 30 second commercial to market myself, but it was pretty much the same as being asked to tell them about yourself. They ask for a strength and a weakness, an example of when a teammate wasn't pulling their weight on a project and how you handled it, and an example of a time you failed and what you learned from it and how you came back from it type thing.   Answer Question
    I was originally dissatisfied with my payment offer, but I countered and they accepted.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM.

Received a call from a hiring manager asking for an interview. Arrived on site and interviewed with three different managers all wanting an interview. Interview was pretty standard questions about school work and class projects. Nothing really technical was covered which I didn't expect.

Was then directed to take an online aptitude test.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IBM.

2 parts, first was behavioral and second was case. Behavioral super easy. Case a little harder, also nice interviewer.

Intern Interview

Interview was pretty easy. The manager who interviewed me just talked about how she loved my background and I asked her questions about her personal experiences. No real
    Interview questions

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM.

1 Round of HR screening, talking about your resume.

1 Round behavioral interview with Hiring Manager, and talking about your interests.

1 Round Technical interview with STSM in the same department.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to take a leadership role.   Answer Question
    All interns are paid based on the credit hours they completed towards their degree, or so I've been told.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at IBM in March 2010.

Asked about what I knew about IBM'S competitors, details of my college major, how much I used Social Media and my computer skills.

Interview Questions
    • What drives you? What would a professor say was his or her reason for not liking you as a student?   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!