IBM Interview Questions

Updated Oct 30, 2014
2,249 Interview Reviews

2.8

Consulting By Degrees Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM.

One day of interviews; set of 3 30-minute with one case study. It was rather laid-back and conversational. The three interviews were behavioral with one relying on a case study for most of the duration of the 30 minutes. All interviewers were consultants and had background with CbD.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to overcome an obstacle to reach a goal. Most were behavioral and not very difficult.   Answer Question

HRLDP Interview

Was done through school. First round was on campus, second round was done via a phone interview. MBA track program so it was a pretty standardized process. I was told immediately after the second interview that I was accepted and that IBM would get back to me later about the official process.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate as it was for an internship.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM.

I interviewed for a full time financial analyst position at IBM through my school's on campus recruiting program. Not sure why I even applied as this is not a company I would work for, but I was selected for an interview and had to go. The interview was bizarre as it was not behavioral. Every question I was asked had to do with IBM, and all the interviewer talked about was the company. She didn't ask any questions about me or my resume. It was the first time ever I wasn't asked to "tell me about yourself."

Any Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Hiring tool is very restrictive... if there are ANY "minimum requirements" listed, be sure when you submit that you meet them, or the tool will screen you out and your resume will never get looked at by a real person.

Hiring manager typically has an HR-prescribed salary range of for a given position. They will rarely offer you the midpoint, and will usually offer at the bottom of the range to save money. So if the range is say $45000-$65000 for a given position, they will start by offering you $45000. You might be able to negotiate them up to $50000-$55000 but rarely higher, unless you are overqualified for the position AND have an advanced degree AND have the exact experience they are looking for.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

3 30 minute round interview - 2 behavioral and 1 case. Behaviorals were very straightforward: name a time you displayed leadership, worked in a group, etc. Case was verbally given by interviewer, had to take notes, make quick calculations, but overall took about 15 of the allotted 30 min. Very basic and accounting-based.

Interview Questions
    • Case was about 2 pizza restaurants, listed difference revenues, profits, cost per unit, needed to figure out how to make one more profitable.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

group presentation and resume collection. Willing to train or fly us in. Impressive! Then contacted us from the resume pool to let us know we were selected. Overall it's been a fun and exciting process and looking forward to the next step.

Interview Questions
    • if you could change one business model within the organization what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Data Management Software Specialist Interview

Submission of background information, Resume, Letter. Interview with Human Resources, Interview with First Line, Interview with Second Line via phone, background check, personality test, IQ test. Behavioral type questioning.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

No Technical Questions. Mostly common scenario questions. Initially had a phone call from recruiter. Then invited for hiring event. You get to talk to more than one division. You will then be invited for on-site. Offer arrives in 3 weeks or less.

Offer came late

Co-op/ Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

I was contacted for an interview after I met some recruiters at a career fair at my school. The interview was scheduled about a week later and I was interviewed by a team of people. Pretty laid back, most questions were derived directly from my resume.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an assignment or project about which you have no previous knowledge?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Participated in recruiting through the university I attend. First there was a simple resume drop and then a final round interview with 2 behavioral interviews and 1 case interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected and the case was straightforward   Answer Question