IBM

1,943 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Solutions Architect Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

Interview Details – Referred to IBM by an employee who informed me there were two open SA positions. First there were two phone calls with the potential team lead and first line manager. I then had to give a 30-minute presentation around a career accomplishment involving Business Analytics for the potential first, second and third line managers. After the presentation I was presented with three different tracks at IBM and stuck with the SA position - which I have been content with for 3 years now. I was presented an offer within 5 business days.

Interview Question – I don't recall any brain-busters however I knew my presentation subject matter to the finest detail and had spent 5-6 hours preparing & rehearsing it. IBM emphasizes preparation so try to be as thorough as possible in your prep work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had to haggle with HR for the salary I wanted - they gave me a 10k "reference" salary which got me to my desired # to start out which was maintained for two years however in 2014 this was taken away across all SAs and back-loaded into potential commission payouts. Looking back I should have fought harder for more salary...so fight hard to get your # as IBM doesn't give base pay raises very often. 3 years of good/solid performance & results with no base pay increase, but the commissions have provided my all-in desired pay thus far.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was emailed by a manager and set a phone interview for the following week. At the scheduled time I was contacted by a team and was asked rather difficult technical questions. At the end of the phone interview I was told to go to their office the next day which was not really an interview; just a short meeting.

Interview Question – technical question on programming   Answer Question

Executive Project Manager Interview

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Was professional hire many many years ago. It was a 4 interview process at that time.

Interview Question – The most difficult question is always the one about salary   View Answer

Human Resources Intern Interview

Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IBM in January 2012.

Interview Details – Mostly went over interests, experiences and goals. There were really no curveball questions. Just be prepared to talk about yourself confidently and clearly. Good to also review recent news items and about the company culture.

Interview Question – There were no questions that stick out. Perhaps why you would be a good fit type of thing   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Brand Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring manager called me directly. Interview was only 30 minutes. He was just looking for a person with solid communication skills. He was not technical enough to interview me properly. I was overed the job the following week.

Negotiation Details – Yes, I got a sign on bonus

Engineer Interview

Rochester, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Used a job board. Initial contact via telephone and e-mail. Once selected for an interview, interviewed with 4 areas. I was hosted by an great employee, who took me around the town from my hotel. If selected, then formal job offer given.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty laid back. It was hard because the areas were different so it was confusing to try to figure out how to answer because it ended up being multiple job possibilities.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was with mail, so it wasn't so much negotiation as one might expect, at least that was my experience. There are guidelines in this company, but you can try to negotiate.

IT Specialist Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through campus recruiting as well as on the website. I was contacted through email to attend a weekend long event in Virginia (close to Washington DC). Friday night was an informal dinner and Saturday was the interviews. There were 3 back to back interviews and questions depended on whatever the interviewer felt was appropriate. Since I have a CS background, 1 interviewer asked me technical questions related to UML/SQL. The other 2 interviewers asked me general behavioral questions. I also had to take a test online at some point with basic math and logic type questions (timing is what gets you on these!). At the interview they assured that applicants that the test was not very important in determining who will get hired.

Interview Question – How do you join 2 tables?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior IT Specialist Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in August 2011.

Interview Details – Found job through recruiter. Interview was by phone with the manager and a team lead.

Interview Question – Asked how long I worked with DB2.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Question – Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Based on internships and co-ops

Negotiation Details – They would not negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at IBM

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM interview questions and advice. All 1,943 interview reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees and interview candidates.