IBM Interview Questions

Updated Sep 13, 2014
2,174 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Applied online. Only 1 phone interview and online competency exam before receiving offer. Questions were mainly behavorial, and majority of the interview was spent telling me what I would be doing over the summer rather than vetting me. Afterwards took online competency exam, which tested basic math and abstract pattern-finding.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, all "What's your greatest weakness" or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" types of questions.   Answer Question
    Can't really negotiate going in as an intern

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM in September 2014.

IBM sent a senior hiring manager to a collective interview even that my program was hosting. They interviewed with all of the relevant students that were available in order to get a good feel for who was going to be a good fit. They knew that the program we are a part of was already giving us the technical competency to compete for the positions and so the interview was primarily based on how we would fit within the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were not very technical, as it was more of a personality interview. The hardest question was "What is a challenge that you have faced in the past and how did you overcome it?"   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Had an initial phone interview then followed with a coding challenge. FInal step is an all day on-site interview consisting of one on one interviews and a presentation of you work. The whole process was kind of long but they have good communication throughout the whole process. Had a good experience and good feedback from it.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions. After the typical tech questions it was heavily focused on culture fit.   Answer Question

Procurement Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

I had 6 phone interviews with IBM personnel from around the world prior to a half day interview in their offices. The entire process took in excess of 4 months. Then I heard nothing. When I emailed the coordinator, I was told that the position the had available was at a much lower level than my experience would allow for.

Interview Questions
    • Case study was probably the most time consuming part of the interview   Answer Question

Managing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2010.

I was invited to an interviewing session at one of the IBM local offices. There were about 10 candidates and 5 or 6 interviewers.
    I found it to be easy, and relaxed process.
    Very typical modern interview. Talked about past experience, current trends, aspirations, abilities, competencies, and what they have to offer in terms of immediate projects.
    They were looking for security generalists that can do customer-facing without dropping a ball and screwing an engagement.

Interview Questions
    • There were none. They did not try to catch me off guard or ask something difficult. No phony questions. Normal conversation. We became friends and stayed in touch later, even though we haven't worked together on the same projects.   Answer Question
    They did not negotiate during the interview. During the interview only the ballpark number is being discussed. Later on, IBM recruiter, who initially sourced you, will negotiate the compensation with you. Bargain, but stay reasonably close to the ballpark you had articulated during the interviews.

Financial Analyst Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Applied through career services at school and received a phone call to interview on campus. It was a 30 minute interview mostly going through my resume and previous work experience. Pretty much just basic behavioral questions and I was asked what I knew about IBM and why I wanted to work there. Basically they want to know that you are looking to really accomplish meaningful work over the course of a 6 month co-op as compared to a traditional 10 week internship. I heard I got the job in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Just know what IBM does and the benefits of working at a large company. HINT: THEY DON'T MAKE COMPUTERS ANYMORE!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2013.

*Please note that due to the size of the company this process may vary.

The interview came in three distinct phases. All were conducted over the phone. I was referred to the company by an employee so they seemed to be confident to not need an in person interview before making the decision.

Phase 1 was speaking with someone from the skills management department. She was a neutral party unaffialited with the department I would be interviewing with. She gave a breif overview of the company and what the position would be. After confirming I was still interested I continued to phase 2.

Next was a discussion with the hiring manager. This was not technical at all; mostly a meet and greet for both parties. I was asked mostly about my background and what I why I wished to work for the company. The manager shared some details about how the department operates and what I would be doing if I were to accept the offer.

Phase 3 was the technical interview. I had expected a number of whiteboard style questions but there was a distinct lack of them. I had already sent in some code samples of a game that I had created previously. The most technical questions related to the reason why I had made certain design choices when designing the code for the game. After that, the questions become more about myself and why I was passionate about technology and to see if I really enjoyed working in this field. Once I believe the interviewer was satisfied with my ability the interview became less about one way questions and more about free flowing conversation to see if I would mesh well with the team. Shortly after this interview the hiring manager called to let me know that they would be extending an offer to me soon.

The experience was a very positive one.

Interview Questions
    • What was most unexpected was the lack of typical whiteboard style programming questions in favor of other topics.   Answer Question
    The neogotian phase was very pleasant. However, the division of HR being in India and my department being in the US caused the process to move quite slowly. After getting put in touch with the proper people to speak with in the US the process was much smoother. After receiving the initial offer I did my homework and came up with a very solid counter offer. The counter was accepted without issue.

Accountant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM.

The first round of interviews was at a career center at the college during a recruitment session. The interviewer was one of the accounting executives, and it was more of a conversation than interview about skills etc, and my impression was that the personality/drive/connection counted most at this stage. The next stage was at IBM's offices, where a whole group of potential employees was gathered and we all interviewed at the same time. Each person met with three managers from different departments. These were separate interviews, each about 30 minutes long, pretty standard questions about experience, expectations, some behavioral, nothing out of ordinary or difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or difficult - pretty much every question was a typical one, i.e. describe yourself, what are your goals, what kind of team experience have you had, difficult situation or disagreement etc.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation - the starting salary was set

MBA Summer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at IBM in January 2013.

Process was part of on-campus recruiting. Applied on-line via career management site. Got invited to the next round in 2 weeks. Then had 2 interviews (one-on-one) with managers from internal strategy group. Both interviews were mix of case and fit interview.

No fit for me

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in April 2014.

Interviews with the team, 3 separate calls from people in different locations, casual conversation about work ethic and portfolio and processes in developing designs. Helped to give them a story of how and why you ended up where you are.

Interview Questions

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!