IBM Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
2,502 Interview Reviews

2.8

Consulting Leadership Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Job posting stated 5 yrs industry experience required, 8 yrs preferred. I had the preferred amount of experience, so submitted my resume and was contacted by a recruiter for IBM. We arranged the interview date/time via email. When the recruiter called me for the the phone interview, she told me only minutes into our conversation that really they were looking for someone with 15-20 years of industry experience, and described a very different role than what was in the posting. I confirmed with her that she was describing the role title I had applied for. She seemed to have no explanation for the vast difference between the posting and the role she was now describing. I withdrew my application and ended the interview early because I felt this was a big red flag.

Software Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

1) Portfolio Review
    2) Phone call with a designer on staff
    3) Follow up phone call with a senior designer
    4) On-Site fly out that included dinner for two nights, a hotel stay and a night in the town
    5) A follow up conversation

Consulting By Degrees AIS Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

These events happened in the Spring 2014, so they may have changed the interview process since then.

IBM was at my engineering career fair, and I spoke to one of the recruiters. Sent her my resume later that evening, and a week later I was invited to an on-site interview in Herndon, VA. Flew out the night before and arrived at the office in the morning.

There was a fairly large group of us, and they split us up into two groups. I believe one group was more info systems/business-related majors and the other group (the one I was in) was more technical/engineering majors. The other group went to the one-on-one interviews first, while my group sat in a conference room. However, I believe this was done on purpose as a recruiter who was there with us was asking questions like "How do you define what I means to be a consultant" and others like that. Also they shared IBMs core values, goals, etc. So really it was part of the interview. I made sure to participate during questions and gave the best answers I could.

When the other group was finished, we went to do our one-on-one interviews. There were three separate interviews: one case study, one technical, and one behavioral. These were surprisingly easy; the case study was very straightforward, the technical was basic questions about Java (i.e. "what's the difference between a private and a public variable", etc.), and the behavioral was your typical, generic questions ("describe a time when __"). I felt very confident in each of these, and the interviewers were very friendly, which made me feel comfortable.

Afterwards, the recruiters said we would hear back within two weeks. I didn't hear back for a month, and then it was another month after that until I got the offer.

Overall a good experience (minus the waiting to hear back).

J

Interview Questions
    • Basic Java questions ("What is a class", "What is the difference between a private and public variable", etc.)   Answer Question
    • Standard Behavioral questions ("Describe a time when ____. How did you handle it?", "How do you define what a consultant is?", etc.)   Answer Question
    • There was a case study. This was pretty straightforward. I believe mine had something to do with improving performance of a clients website, can't recall the details.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate as I thought the salary was fair. Also I don't think I could have even if I wanted to.

SIEM Interview

First interview went well, was casual. The guy conducting the interview seemed really nice. The second interviewer was hard to understand, we did not speak the same language & he did not seem interested in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job because you arent qualified?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at IBM.

Was dragged out and more difficult than I would have liked. However, made me understand the company a little bit more inside and out. The interviewers voice was a little bit muffled, almost like they were standing away from the speaker. Looking forward to the next portions of the interview process.

Interview Questions

Didn't seem to fit into my strengths

Senior User Experience Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

There were 3 different interviews that took place on campus. Each mini interview lasted 30 minutes. One portion was more traditional. He asked what I was interested in pursuing, asked if I had questions about the company, and was generally informational. The next was solving a business problem. They're not looking for a right answer, just to see how you think. The last interview was basically pitching one of your old projects.

All of the interviews were very relaxed and casual.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a project you are passionate about.   Answer Question
    • You need to create an app to solve a ___________ problem for your user. How do you go about it?   Answer Question
    • Why IBM? What technologies do you see as a big thing in 5 years? What do you want to work on?   Answer Question
    They give you an offer. There is no room for negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

3 interviews, 2 behaviorals and 1 case study. Definitely prepare for the case study--I thought I did really well on the behaviorals and didn't nail the case study, and didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react if you were told on Friday that you had to be on a new project on Monday?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Two rounds technical java questions and 1 HR round. The questions were easy if prepared well. HR round was mainly to discuss package. Got the offer letter in a months time.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Phone, phone, case. Got an employee referral which led to a first phone call, just a screening, led to another phone call, not exactly a screening more of a talk to me for 10 seconds ok you're on to final rounds. I got and accepted a job offer elsewhere in the mean time, they take forever.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a role as a leader, describe a role as a follower   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

There were two interviews on campus. A couple weeks later they sent me an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with a manager and a recruiter. It took 30 minutes. During the phone interview they asked mostly questions about my resume, projects, and some behavioral questions. They focused a lot on teamwork experience. Overall it was a positive experience.