IBM Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015
2,947 Interview Reviews

2.8

Analyst Interview

Interview

It was really easy, nothing exceeds my expectation. It was pretty smooth and relaxing. Give an example of a time you successfully worked on a team.What major challenges and problems did you face?

Interview Questions

• What would your past managers say about you? If you had questions that no one had answers to, how would you handle it?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Typical consulting interview on my college campus. I interviewed with 3 people, each one lasting half and hour. Two of the interviews were your typical behavioral interviews and the third was a case question. Nothing too complex or out of the ordinary

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Tukwila, WA).

Interview

3 months after I applied they contacted me. I went to the interview. One month later they called me with a horrible offer, since I did not have anything better I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what a WAMP server is?   1 Answer
    • Do you know what a LAMP server is?   1 Answer

Interview

Very thorough and in depth. High level of concern for the character of the individual and problem solving style. Customer satisfaction a high priority at this well known company. You can tell that wading through large numbers of applicants to find the good ones is a top priority.

Interview Questions

• Explain one workplace challenge you overcame that is indicative of your character.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

I talked with one lady at a university career fair, and she had me talk to two other more technical people there before telling me that I was a pretty good candidate. They told me to apply online, which I did. The online application process isn't the most exciting thing. It asks you a lot of questions about how many years of experience you have in each language/technology, among other strange questions. I was contacted two days later to set up a meeting with the manager of the team that was interested in hiring me. He just gauged my interest and evaluated fit. It was a very non-technical interview. A week later, I got an email with another (more detailed) application. It was equally boring. I also got an invitation to take an online "CAT" employment test. Basically it was a mathematics test whose results are apparently correlated to how far you will progress within IBM when you are employed. There are a few sections in the test, basic algebra questions, proportions, and patterns. Patterns was the trickiest part. You don't get your results when you finish, and my possible results still haunt me to this day.. I guess I did good enough! After taking the test, I was also contacted by another manager who wanted to discuss employment with me. Both managers had new hires on their teams call me to talk to me about the team and their work, and they let me ask any questions that I had. The two managers planned a visit day where I could meet people on both teams and get a feel for the culture. The day was split 4 hours each with a lunch in the middle where I could talk to both managers at the same time. After this day, I was given a few weeks to make my decision. I decided the team and accepted the offer. There were no technical interviews the entire time. You just have to be well-spoken enough to rock the socks off the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• They really wanted to hear about your passion for software engineering. Bonus points for giving examples of doing it outside of school/work.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Band 6) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Go to Company Web Page to Apply for Job, submit your cover letter and Resume, wait for the auto generated rejection email. I applied for new jobs while I worked at IBM and never got a response from any Managers.

Mainframe Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

applied online; got called by Reviewer after a few weeks who then set up meeting at work site; met manager and one other who only engaged in personal chit-chat, nothing technical at all; neither seemed to have the knowledge to competently test my knowledge and even stated stuff that was totally inaccurate. Most of the discussions were just talk about living near the work site, where to live, entertainment highlights of the area, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

seemed to be desperate to obtain me and supplied falsehoods about the job so as to not scare me off. Stated there was education and advancement opportunites, of which there were none. Was unemployed for some time, so grabbed at the job. What a mistake! Should have asked for more than what they offered since raises or bonuses were unavailable.

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Referred to IBM by an employee who informed me there were two open SA positions. First there were two phone calls with the potential team lead and first line manager. I then had to give a 30-minute presentation around a career accomplishment involving Business Analytics for the potential first, second and third line managers. After the presentation I was presented with three different tracks at IBM and stuck with the SA position - which I have been content with for 3 years now. I was presented an offer within 5 business days.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall any brain-busters however I knew my presentation subject matter to the finest detail and had spent 5-6 hours preparing & rehearsing it. IBM emphasizes preparation so try to be as thorough as possible in your prep work   Answer Question

Community Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IBM (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Long and arduous. took 6 months, 7 meetings or calls with a total of 8 people. With the exception of one interview, all were 1:1. The role is for an IBM subsidiary, so IBM didn't control the interview process, but they do control the hiring process, which is still ongoing, even though I've accepted.

Interview Questions

• As the role was for a unit of a s Startup subsidiary IBM has bought, all questions related to entrepreneurialism or startups   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IBM (San Jose, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Consisted of meeting three separate managers and senior technical staff. Brought into a meeting room and was asked several questions regarding my work history, followed by my educational background. Then was asked several technical questions focusing on security. with scenarios. I found the questions ranged from easy to mid level in complexity. Not many hard ones.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Your experience. Then into technical question   1 Answer