IBM Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
2,225 Interview Reviews

2.8

Unit Process Development Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at IBM.

Met w/ hiring manager on site at university looking to meet recent grads. Had a 20 minute meeting - was contacted for a full day interview. Interview consisted of 45 minute presentation by me about by grad work followed by 7 or 8 1-on-1 interviews with potential coworker/other managers

Project Manager Interview

It was onsite. First it was 1-1 discussion mostly about my background and experience. Second round was with two people. It was situational and behavioural. I even had to use the board to draw and explain.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Software Developer Interview

Had seven rounds of interview. Each round was tough than other. All were technical except the seventh round with project manager. First few rounds were based on the resume but later rounds were on technical skills.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Had an initial phone interview then followed with a coding challenge. FInal step is an all day on-site interview consisting of one on one interviews and a presentation of you work. The whole process was kind of long but they have good communication throughout the whole process. Had a good experience and good feedback from it.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions. After the typical tech questions it was heavily focused on culture fit.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

The first round of interviews was at a career center at the college during a recruitment session. The interviewer was one of the accounting executives, and it was more of a conversation than interview about skills etc, and my impression was that the personality/drive/connection counted most at this stage. The next stage was at IBM's offices, where a whole group of potential employees was gathered and we all interviewed at the same time. Each person met with three managers from different departments. These were separate interviews, each about 30 minutes long, pretty standard questions about experience, expectations, some behavioral, nothing out of ordinary or difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or difficult - pretty much every question was a typical one, i.e. describe yourself, what are your goals, what kind of team experience have you had, difficult situation or disagreement etc.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation - the starting salary was set

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in September 2014.

IBM sent a senior hiring manager to a collective interview even that my program was hosting. They interviewed with all of the relevant students that were available in order to get a good feel for who was going to be a good fit. They knew that the program we are a part of was already giving us the technical competency to compete for the positions and so the interview was primarily based on how we would fit within the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were not very technical, as it was more of a personality interview. The hardest question was "What is a challenge that you have faced in the past and how did you overcome it?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Finance Rotation Program Interview

1st round was on campus; 2nd round was On-site Panel.
    My experience was that all interviewers were super nice and wouldn't challenge you much. However, don't overread their niceness. What you would hear during the interviews doesn't mean anything.

Product Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Three-round interview process. In the initial interview, one of the IBM Summit managers will interview you over the phone and indicate whether or not you will be passed on to the next round. In round two, you speak with another Summit Manager or in some cases, a host manager. After this round, if you have not yet touched base with a host manager, you will be interviewed by the manager in the respective city you're applying for.