IBM Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
2,225 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

I applied online, got an email saying they were interested, and had two phone interviews (first personality, second technical) followed by a three hour online skills and logic test that made my brain hurt but that I apparently passed. Got the offer and was very excited, but decided on another position.

Interview Questions

I took another offer at a financial firm.

Managing Consultant Interview

covers your resume at a high level. there were three interview, 1 on phone, 2 face to face. for face to face they call you to an IBM location with all expenses paid and they really see your confidence to handle the job more than anything.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unusual. mostly based on the resume and the requirement.   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

took about 3 weeks, email followed by phone followed by 2 interviews with hr and manager, not too difficult or long but couldnt really get a feel for what they were looking for or felt throughtout the process

Staff Hardware Engineer Interview

It was very smooth and technical process. They were very welcoming and helped me walk through their team and everything. They also took personal interest about my life and career goals and put a road map in front me if I was going to be hired.

IT Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Spoke with a former and future manager as well as a colleague whom I would be working with. Basically informal to the extent they wanted to get to know the person rather than a fact sheet of skills.

Client Technical Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

I had a very streamlined, detailed nd organized experience. The first inviewer relied on one of those 'Google' questions designed to explore how one approaches problems whcih may or may not have obvious optimal solutions. It's effective in my opion at observing commuication styles, technical breath and te presure of having ones gears exposed. The next three interviews were each deeply technical as they explored relavent technical aspects of web architecture and big data performance tuning. As this was a client facing position personal presentation skills while modeling architetures and gathering requirements were demonstrated in the interviews. Very fun!

Interview Questions
    • "If you have a file containing billions of arbitrary 20 byte records, how would you sort the data in the file using extremely limited resources, such a s 1GB of memory?"   View Answer
    relaxed and professional. The recruitor matched my expectations with the management and te offer was generous

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Very long process. Three telephone screens -- first with HR, second with peer consultant, third with consulting management. The next phase is a face-2-face all-day interview blitz. 4 more rounds of interviews and finish the day with a group case study.

Interview Questions
    • The case study is fairly quick, but lots of pressure. There's a final presentation at the end of the day.   View Answer
    Fairly simple. There's room to negotiate on both the base salary, as well as the starting bonus.

Manufacturing Engineering Interview

Full day interview with 6-7 people, various topics, long day. Took me to lunch in the cafeteria. Short line tour. Interview time from 8-3pm. Large campus but building seems to be in need of repair, single or shared offices.

Ibm Watson Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM.

I went through rounds of technical interviews for a Watson Software Developer position including a substantial programming project. I passed all technical interviews. When it came to speaking with the managerial type for the final interview however, things changed. I was asked to tell about my experiences & background, but he did not even pay attention and then tried to put my experience down. It was a totally frustrating final interview with that manager. Then one day later, I was told that the position was filled and it appeared as "not available" on the web site, but then opened again couple days later. What a waste of my time! The managers sound like they constantly insult the people working for them as well, no wonder why IBM gets many bad reviews from employees here on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, except that on the final interview with the manager types, you are asked to tell about your experiences but they don't pay attention and then they try to put you down.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

I was referred by a family friend when they had an opening for a summer intern. Because I was referred, I guess I skipped the initial HR inspection and went straight to the interviews. I had a first round chat with the team manager, who simply talked about the team and the project they work on and asked about me and what I was looking for. He was very polite and enjoyable to talk to. After the interview, he emailed me about 1-2 weeks later with an update that he had OK'd me for the next round and I was passed on to someone else on his team.

The second interview was more of a struggle, though it wasn't meant to be. I personally just have a hard time talking about myself, and that's what this interview consisted of. Additionally the team member brought along another team member without giving any prior notice so I was caught off guard and felt more uncomfortable at being on speakerphone. However, as far as intern interviews go, I think IBM is among the easier interviews as there were no technical questions. Both interviews were about half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project of yours and include specifics about the classes and data structures that you used.   Answer Question