IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Technical Support Specialist
Dubuque, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was the first step, then an in person interview on site. Phone interview was with my work direction manager. In person interview was with my HR manager. About a week after the in person interview I received an offer letter. I countered, then they countered. I asked a question about if I accepted when my start date would be and they sent a congratulations welcome to IBM email. I never officially accepted their counter offer.

Interview Question – None, they asked basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was a horrible offer. And it wasnt what the hiring manager and I had originally discussed. They pulled a fast one and switched up which service line my salary was being paid from so they low balled the original offer. I countered their offer and negotiated a little better salary.

Procurement Professional Interview

Procurement Professional

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Started off with a quick phone screen. Proceeded to an on-site interview with 5 separate 30-minute interviews. Made it to final interview with hiring manager, which was over the phone.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interviews was being presented a case study in the final interview and only having 60 minutes to prepare a proposal. I was not expecting to be presented a case study and the case was not relevant to the desired job. Ultimately, this was the deciding factor on who received an offer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – Kind of disappointing process to be honest. Applied through my school job board, got an email about an interview. When they called me, it was a call conference with about 5 members of the team, they asked no technical questions, just stuff about my background and offered information about the position.

After that, I just got an email and a call from a manager with a job offer. I think this approach lets incompetent interns to get onboard.

Negotiation Details – Salary based on credit hours

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Rochester, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2010.

Interview Details – One interview was conducted with two interviewers. They did most of the talking and I answered a few questions. They were hiring hundreds of analysts for a finance center and it was a simple interview.

Interview Question – The interviewers did not ask unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate what was offered.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – I was referred by a family friend when they had an opening for a summer intern. Because I was referred, I guess I skipped the initial HR inspection and went straight to the interviews. I had a first round chat with the team manager, who simply talked about the team and the project they work on and asked about me and what I was looking for. He was very polite and enjoyable to talk to. After the interview, he emailed me about 1-2 weeks later with an update that he had OK'd me for the next round and I was passed on to someone else on his team.

The second interview was more of a struggle, though it wasn't meant to be. I personally just have a hard time talking about myself, and that's what this interview consisted of. Additionally the team member brought along another team member without giving any prior notice so I was caught off guard and felt more uncomfortable at being on speakerphone. However, as far as intern interviews go, I think IBM is among the easier interviews as there were no technical questions. Both interviews were about half an hour.

Interview Question – Describe a project of yours and include specifics about the classes and data structures that you used.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Chandler, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Interview Details – I knew someone who already worked there, so that's how I got the interview. I was interviewing for a specific software product, so the questions were very much detailed towards that. Not many "you're in a blender" type or non-technical questions at all. First contact was with a manager to do a pre-screening, then a technical interview. I was told right away after the interview that I got the job. Processing stuff took about a month or so, but it was also during the holidays.

Interview Question – They asked a very specific question about the software product involving architecture that required detailed knowledge of the software product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary was already negotiated up front, very early on in the process. They gave me a range, and I said I wanted a certain number in that range that the manager agreed with.

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant Interview

IBM GBS Consulting By Degrees Entry Level Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Recommended by a referral, asked to come into Herndon VA campus to interview all day. Three interviews: one behavioral, one fit, one case study (order of interviews is random). Cast study is less intensive than many consulting companies conduct theirs, IBM wants you to really talk out your ideas and ask questions to get more info from the interviewer. The final answer being right isnt as important as walking through your thought process.

Interview Question – What is something that is going on with IBM's stock price? Where do you see IBM going in five years?   Answer Question

Professional Development Trainee PDT - Finance Interview

Professional Development Trainee PDT - Finance
Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Applied online; overall process took about 3 months. Total interviews- 6.
Contacted about 2 months after initial application for a video recorded interview (not live, just video-recorded responses). Questions consisted of behavioral and logistical questions.

A week later, was given a financial case study regarding financial statements to complete for the next week.
The following week was contacted for final interview- needed to create a 15-20 minute PowerPoint presentation stating your assumptions and conclusions of the case to be completed the next week, with the final interview the week after.

A handful of other candidates were interviewing at the same time with overall friendly atmosphere. First 3 interviews consisted of an HR interview (behavioral/skills' questions) and the presentation (must present twice to two different audiences) in random order. Then all of the candidates were treated to lunch with current trainees and had the chance to ask questions regarding the program.

After lunch, candidates were winnowed down; progressed to final stage - 2 interviews with 2 members of upper-level management. Questions related to specific aspects of the position and proficiency in those areas as well as typical questions about the company were posed. Received offer next day.

Interview Question – Know the case well and consider alternatives to your underlying assumptions.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was extremely lengthy probably due to the fact that IBM carefully screens candidates. Went through 3 separate interviews first with one on one followed by group panel 3 weeks later.

Interview Question – How often would you be available for travel at a moment's notice?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The work location simply wasn't convenient in terms of commute. During the initial interview process there was no mention of the downtown location other than IBM had various sites from which to choose.

STSM Interview

STSM
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Fairly standard. Several rounds of interviews with different technical and management leads. This took an entire day. Some asked technical questions about VHDL or C++. Others more behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Tell me what the most important part of a computer system is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much, Standard offer.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!