IBM Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
2,234 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Designer Interview

They flew me down for an interview, treated me to a great weekend, toured the beautiful studio, and met the great staff. Best interview I ever had! Quite relaxed in nature and the 1-on-1 interviews were informal.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IBM.

The first interview I had was a 30 minute purely technical interview done via telephone. Asked questions mostly pertaining to Java and OO programming. Not too hard. Called back for a second interview that was not planned at all. He called me and it was an hour and half long. Many more java and OO questions. Asked about some Big-O notation and sorting algorithms. Some more obscure stuff. Asked about SQL knowledge.

IT Architect Interview

Unless you're one of those folks who jump from job to job and have mastered the Interview process, I suggest you do your research on the Interview Process and the varied types of questions (technical and non-technical) that will be given. IBM knows you have the talent and skills. What they are looking for is energetic, innovative, and process oriented personnel. I suggest reading two books: "Strengths Finder" by Tom Rath and "The Greatest Salesman" by Og Mandino. Also look into Abby Kohut for her insights on the Job Interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself"... this is the question where you need to sell yourself and your accomplishments - - not what you can do. Unless you're Steven Hawking, there's a lot of people who can do what you do. Focus on how you've done it better than the next person. Next hardest question is "Why did you leave your other job?" or "Why are you looking for a new job?".   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM.

It was pretty straight forward with the interviewer asking about my previous experiences. I basically ran through what was on my resume and touched on some of the most important aspects that related to the job offering.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Software Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at IBM.

Two hour interview with three different staff / employees. Do not arrive exactly on the minute of the interview time as there are a couple of security and sign in steps to go through

Net Backup Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IBM.

Myself on a conference call with three interviewers. Two of the people were hostile. The manager was very pleasant. I thought for sure I didn't get the job because of all the hostility. I can't help but think the manager liked how I stood up to the two cranky guys.

Interview Questions
    • I was grilled by two guys about specific port numbers and error codes. We argued about the proper way to resolve NetBackup issues. I refused to give in. I was an experienced and trained NetBackup administrator for a mid-size server environment and knew I was right. Port numbers can vary depending on your network setup. Some are generic, some are just for NetBackup, and some need to be created by your network people. At work, I have procedures, manuals and notes with all of our port numbers. The error codes you look up in the app itself, at the NetBackup website, or you discuss them with product support. You may memorize error codes that your environment throws out on a regular basis, but you try to eliminate them.   View Answer

It's important to work in an IT environment where managers and/or employees yell at you and bicker with each other. You need to work with quality people. You won't learn anything if you don't work with people who are willing to communicate, share their knowledge and ask for your help when they need it.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

I interviewed in Bangalore in 2009. The interview was fairly straightforward,no surprises. I think it all depends on your specific interviewer. My skillset is Mainframes and that's what the interviewer tested. The technical int lasted for about 45 mins and was followed by an HR interview with the Project Manager. I quoted a number and was offered that salary. I was offered Relocation benefits as well.

Training Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at IBM.

The interview process with IBM when I joined 15 years ago (a bit dated I know) was a round-robin with six different managers. There were 15 interviewees in play and we were given a schedule with 15-20 minutes to meet with each manager. At 2pm we were released from the interview process, then the managers convened a round table to discuss each applicant. With a week I received notification about having an offer and have been with IBM ever since.

Interview Questions
    • What can you contribute to this company?   View Answer
    Unfortunately I was not familiar with the pay scale for consultants in the ERP world at the time of my interview and was all too happy to accept a very low offer. In hind sight, I wish I was better prepared in that front.