IBM Interview Questions in Iowa

2.8

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Reporting Analyst (Entry-level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in January 2014.

1. Recruiter is in the building lobby every Wednesday. (This is great because I find IBM job titles impenetrable, and I need help even to know which ones to consider.) I give him my resume; he asks a couple of quick questions ("What's your Excel proficiency?" "Customer service experience?"), grabs a list of open positions and highlights three, and says, "I recommend these. If you apply for any of them, send me an email and tell me."

2. I apply for all three. Four days later, I get a polite rejection email for one of them. (I never did hear back about the second.)

3. Three months pass.

4. I receive an email saying I'm under consideration for the third position, but first I need to reply with two things: dates and times I'm available for interview, and my salary requirements. A friend tells me that entry-level people in this facility typically get 35K. I email back a salary range with 36K at the bottom of it.

5. Immediately I get back an email that says, "We wouldn't be able to offer more than 35K. Is that a deal-breaker?" Of course I email back and say it's fine, though it annoys me to start the salary negotiation before they've even met me.

6. Same-day response: "Can you come in for an interview tomorrow?" As I work in the same building, I say sure.

7. Interviews several hours apart with the manager (1 hour) and the team lead (30 minutes). They're pleasant, easy-going interviews, mostly a mix of "Tell me about a time when you ..." (dealt with a difficult customer, had multiple deadlines at the same time) and "If you had to handle this problem, what would you do?" (100 new emails in your inbox; how do you keep them organized?). There isn't a feeling of pressure; it's as if they've already decided, provisionally, that I'm going to be OK unless I say something really egregiously awful.

8. Ten days later, receive email requesting that I fill out an online form. Most of it seems like stuff I've already typed into other online forms, but whatever.

9. Two days later, receive email offer: 33K. Email back requesting 36K.

10. Get amended offer of 36K five days later, pending background check, which I assume I must have passed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an annoying co-worker who won't get back to you with information you need to do your job?   View Answer
    I described the negotiation phase in the Hiring and Interview Process section, but I have two pieces of advice:

- Be prepared for a bit of salary negotiation before you've even had an interview. (If I had it to do over again, I would have set that initial range 20% higher in this phase, since they were obviously taking my bottom number as a starting point and trying to bring me down a bit from it.)

- Clearly whatever you negotiate in the initial email is not binding, since they ended up accepting my request for about 10% more. (Again, if I'd known it was going to be so easy, I would have asked for more!)

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in June 2013.

I applied online, at IBM.com. I received an automated email telling me that i was being considered for the position. three weeks later I was called and had a brief phone conversation about general skills and availability. I was thanked and told that they would get back to me. two weeks after that i received another phone call inviting me to dubuque for a personal interview. this went well, however i never heard back from anyone. I called, left voicemail, and email, but never heard back. I finally gave up waiting.

Interview Questions
    • The 5 levels of schema, their uses and the 7 layers of the OSI model and their uses... things you very seldom put into verbage.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist - Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2013.

Very laid back interview. Asked about previous projects completed as well as some questions to find out what type of person I was. The only interview was in person and with the person who became my manager. They looked over my resume and really just asked about the different skills listed on it.

Interview Questions
    The intern position was not able to negotiating because the pay was based on the number of college credits completed. Full time positions can negotiate their pay.

Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

interviewed at IBM in August 2012.

Interview was done on Skype with the manager. Started off with very basic questions and went more into technical topics. Do NOT put anything on your resume that you can't back up in the interview. It depends on who interviews you, but they can be very thorough. Interviewers at IBM are very smart and will be able to tell right away if you are lying. Prepare for the interview by thinking about your responses to the general questions that are normally asked in every interview, but focus on technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions can be very difficult, depending on what position you're applying for.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi, IA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IBM in June 2011.

Initially staffing agency shortlisted and forwarded resume then a personal interview and then just 1 more final interview regarding package

Interview Questions
    • Explain about your previous IT Project   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Interviewed in fall of 2010 at a technical services delivery center. I met a company rep at a job fair and he encouraged me to arrange an interview. The interview process was very professional. I caught a quick glimpse of the main floor, it's very open with short cubicles. In the interview there were fairly standard questions asked. The one takeaway I was able to gather was that coming in an an entry level employee they expect you to work as many hours as the job requires (travel, project tasks, etc). Work/life balance appears to be very poor and opportunity for advancement seemed questionable. But very impressive office space, it's incredibly green-friendly which I appreciated. Very fast-paced though.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell me about what we do here?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in September 2010.

Submitted resume through current employee. No references were checked. Interview consisted of standard questions e.g., What would you do if there was conflict on your team. There is typically a large amount of time between submitting your job application and receiving any word from IBM.
    At this time IBM consistently offers jobs but is unable to find skilled employees. This gives them to opportunity to look like they're trying to hire without actually spending the money to hire.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. It was take it or leave it.

Accounnt Focal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in August 2010.

They interviewed me on skype, which was convenient as I lived about 1,000 miles away.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. I had a friend on the inside selling me.   Answer Question

Malware Defense Level III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM in August 2010.

The management really had no idea what their employees were doing. There was no evaluation they just saw I had experiance and asked out of 3 level's were I felt comfortable at.

The job was described as some kind of SQL and spreadsheet tracking then turned into very simple server administration. It was explained to me the 3 levels were Rhythm BLues and Jazz.

My recomendation is to say you feel like you would fit in a Jazz position so that you do not get as screwed over on pay.

Interview Questions
    • Management has no technical skills and was not able to ask me one relevent question durring the interview.   Answer Question
    They said no to re location expense pay. Said no to a counter offer. They seemed pretty cheap to be honest.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubuque, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2010.

Phone interview was the first step, then an in person interview on site. Phone interview was with my work direction manager. In person interview was with my HR manager. About a week after the in person interview I received an offer letter. I countered, then they countered. I asked a question about if I accepted when my start date would be and they sent a congratulations welcome to IBM email. I never officially accepted their counter offer.

Interview Questions

It was a horrible offer. And it wasnt what the hiring manager and I had originally discussed. They pulled a fast one and switched up which service line my salary was being paid from so they low balled the original offer. I countered their offer and negotiated a little better salary.