IBM

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

3.3

Student Industrial Placement - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in February 2015.

Initially you have to fill out your CV in the IBM format which includes the usual CV information plus additional questions at the end. You upload this on their employment section and fill in basic information on there also.

Secondly you get invited to complete the IPAT test which includes Numerical questions and Sequence questions where you are timed per question and get about 2 minutes per question. The test is not easy, it is very hard! Everyone I have spoken to who passed, like myself, after completing the test we all thought we failed for sure...

After you get through the IPAT test you will be put through the CV assessment where they see if you are a right fit for them and then they will decide whether or not to take you through to an assessment centre. This process took about a month.

Once getting through the CV assessment you will get an e-mail informing you that you passed, and in my case, an e-mail saying you will find out more information on the assessment centre location, time and day later on. So, about 2/3 weeks later I got the e-mail with all that information. Mine was at SouthBank and was an afternoon session.

The assessment centre itself includes 2 group tasks, a logic and a discussion, which are both timed and watched over by a couple of assessors. I also had to do a presentation before attending with set questions to answer in it and then you present this on the day on a 1 to 1 basis and this turns into a kind of interview too as they will stop you in places and ask you questions. This lasted about 20-25 minutes and was quite relaxed. Business interviews are also offered at the assessment centres which are interviews with specific managers in areas which you applied for however, when I was there there weren't any business interviews as they couldn't get any managers in for them... but there is the potential that you will get one there and then.

I then got an e-mail the following day saying I passed the assessment centre and was then put in the matching process where different managers can then decide if they want to offer you a business interview for their particular area.

For myself, I think I was quite lucky as I have heard that people have waited weeks before becoming matched and offered an interview... So, 2 days later I was actually sent an e-mail with an offering of a marketing role in Hursley and that they wanted to organise an interview. This was on a Thursday and the interview then took place on Tuesday. This interview lasts about 30-45 minutes...

After the interview, I received an e-mail that same day saying it had gone well and they were then going through the pre-employment checks. 2 days later I received a formal offer e-mail and letter.

Graduate Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2015.

Completed the application form online, then an online psychometric and numerical test. Following this I was invited to an assessment centre in London. The day was reasonably well organised, the first half of the day consisted of group exercises and the second half of individual interviews an a numerical test. After the first half of the day, the majority of the people were sent home, which was a feature I found odd and disliked.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2014.

First I sent my CV and Cover letter. They asked me to fill in a document full of general questions. After a couple of days they sent me a link to access a website and complete a test. I had about a week to do it. This test had a numeric sequences part and a general math part. I practiced with a couple of examples I found online and found the general math part ok but the some of the sequences were pretty hard (also, with a 2 minute countdown for each one, the pressure is on!). Again, after a couple of days I was invited to assessment center in their HQ in London. There we were a group of 30 people and we were split in groups to attend a logical problem session and a product presentation session. I knew what was expected of me but it was quite a competitive environment among peers. The problems were not that hard but with the juris sitting at the table with you, to stand out you'd have to show off a bit and try to coordinate the team or say out loud what you're trying to do. It's not a very natural process. During product presentation I felt the same, everyone is going for the spotlight and you have just 20 minutes. If you're not that type of person probably you won't make it.

Interview Questions
    • Two sessions. The first was a logical problem to solve as a team. The second a presentation of a product, also as a team. The logical problem was pretty much like the famous Einstein logical puzzle, with some interesting features for group dynamics. The product presentation was quite simple but with so many people on the team and not so much information you either get to talk about what the data gives you or you better be ready to make something up and stand your ground.   Answer Question

Srategic Analytics Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Online application form and CV. Then the IPAT tests which were harder number series questions and then some easier calculation questions. Then had SHL style numerical and verbal tests.
    After this was invited to the first round Assessment Centre. In the morning there was a presentation from one of the employees and a group exercise which was pretty hard. They also asked for us to redo the IPAT test.
    Half of the applicants were sent home in a very harsh manner at lunchtime.
    After lunch was a one-on-one interview with one of their employers. This was mainly CV based, asking about recent projects and also some estimation questions.

Graduate Applications Specialist (UK) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in November 2014.

Applied online with CV + cover letter, then sent long application form, with Personal Statement plus giving examples for about 10 of their core competencies.

Had to do an online IPAT (CAT) test, which took about 45 minutes, mixture of confusing sequences and logical problems.

Got to the interview stage, which involved an IBM presentation, and 2 group exercises. One was logical, solving an Einstein-style problem, and the other involved presenting idea for a new product. I screwed up by bit of the presentation, and got sent home.

Had I passed this, there would have been 2 interviews- one with a HR person, and one with a manager in the area you applied.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in November 2014.

Online Application, Numerical tests, Long questionnaire, Assessment Day.

Assessment day consists of two group exercises after which some people are cut. In the afternoon there are two one on one interviews.

Strategic Analytics Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in November 2014.

Applied online - with CV and additional questions to answer. Invited for two rounds of online tests - one logic sequence based (which was challenging), another basic numeracy and verbal. Invited to Assessment Center consisting of presentation on company, then a logic group exercise (which was assessed by two people - looking at teamwork and problem solving skills), and then another test. Interview in the afternoon after lunch.

Interview Questions
    • difficult online 'IPAT' tests - finding the next number in a sequence   Answer Question

Graduate Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in November 2014.

Applied online for their graduate scheme (business consultant). I had to fill a word application form with small questions about previous experiences and why I was applying for their graduate scheme.
    After a first quick review you are invited to take their online IPAT test which is kind of hard but manageable if you try some sample questions before (you can found some example easily on the web).
    After that I was invited to attend an assessment center at their London South bank Office. The invitation process was awful, they invited me very late, so I had to book my tickets and accommodation one day before. As a result I ended up spending a lot of money (they only reimburse £150) for a short assessment center (2 groupe exercise) where they selected only the bossiest candidates.

Strategic Analytic Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in September 2014.

Online application questions

online tests:
    Sequence Questions (hard)
    Numerical Questions (easier)

first round:
    8 people at interview
    Repeat of sequence questions but easier
    group exercise logic puzzle

If you pass both of these you have an interview with a member of the business dynamics group
    half hour
    basic questions on motivation and competencies
    Then a basic maths question using assumptions
    How many maternity beds in the uk?

second round Approx 1 week later:
    Pre prepared ten minute presentation
    Written exercise summarizing a large document (hour and half)
    Two half hour interviews, one personal, one professional
    final group exercise

the whole thing was quite relaxed

Graduate Entry Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in June 2014.

I applied online and they sent an email with a numeracy skill test to take within three days. After I passed the test they invited me to an assessment day. I was in a group of around 10 other graduates in 3-4 hours I participated in a one-to-one interview, a short presentation, group discussions, and again the numeracy test.

Interview Questions
    • Where would you see yourself in 2 years from now? and in 5 years?   Answer Question