IBM Materials Science Engineering Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Materials Science Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Fishkill, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in April 2011.

I placed my resume in their database. Got two interviews from two different departments (before graduation with a bachelors). They emailed me to set up a phone interview, since I did not live anywhere near the location. Talked about my qualifications, exposure to semiconductors, etc. Did not really expect a bachelors to have too extensive a background in semiconductors, which was a relief to me. (You will learn most of it on the job anyway.) Ended up mentioning to one that I'm interviewing with the other department. He was okay with that. But I ended up only getting seriously pursued by one of them. Took a sort of IQ test, consisting of exercises that test some logic and reasoning. Pretty straightforward. I wanted to get it done promptly (in terms of starting it), but I also wanted to get it done when I was well rested. (Which was allowable, since they gave you a timeframe to do it online)

Interview Questions
  • How much exposure to semiconductors have you had over the course of your college career?   Answer Question
Given I was a recent graduate, I don't think I would have had much influence. I did mention though that I did have an offer somewhere closer to my hometown (true) and that it would have to be worth it (paraphrased). This occurred during the phone interview (which usually/should-be a no no). Anyhow, he didn't mention pay during that call, so I wouldn't know whether my questioning had any change to the actual result/final offer.