IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Leader Interview

Sales Leader
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2012.

Interview Details – Two interviews. One with hiring manager and then with his boss.

Negotiation Details – Everything had to be approved from India

Consulting By Degrees Interview

Consulting By Degrees
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through employee referral in August. Interviewed in NYC. 3 back to back to back 30 minute interviews. 1 case. Standard personality fit questions and why you want to work for IBM

Interview Question – tell me about a time you did something innovative   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The Program is more rotational and I felt I wouldn't be able to progress my career and become proficient in a specific area.

Unix Systems Administrator Interview

Unix Systems Administrator
Sterling Forest, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2011.

Interview Details – First interview with the contracting agency (Computer Task Group) was over the phone, but it wasn't really an interview, just a few questions on what I was looking for. Original job I applied for was taken, so they asked if they could apply for me for an AIX position, which I aggred to.

Next I was interviewed by the team lead over the phone. He said he was glad that I was honest, even though I didn't have all the skills they wanted. Next was the in-person interview. I was led through the building and asked to show how much UNIX / vi I knew by sitting at a terminal. I got a call from CTG later saying they were reducing the offer amount due to the hiring manager's lower payment offer. I accepted the lower amount (with the condition that they would give me the original amount after I was trained), and I was hired.

Interview Question – I can't really remember a hard question. Main thing was that I didn't have all the skills needed, but I answered honestly.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Met with senior IBM resource manager by chance at a job fair in manhattan on a friday. After some causual and snappy discussion, he asked for my resume, which I had on me. It was crisp, well written, engaging and firmly planted the hook. He then directed me to some additional colleagues, who gave me an on the spot rapid fire 10 minute round robin interview, which concluded with scheduling a meeting and formal interview/vetting for the following monday.
When I showed up on monday, they had all the offer letters, hiring forms and other paperwork ready and made me an offer. I worked for IBM for two years and then
Left for a BBD on Wall street. To this day my decision to leave IBM was the most difficult one I have ever made in my professional career, and I would go back to IBM in a heartbeat.
The point is, be prepared, and be prepared for anything, and be prepared to be decisive and confident on who you are, what you know, and what you don't. Smart, experienced, talented people can smell BS and indecisiveness mile away.

Interview Question – In your mind, What woud be the worst case scenario for you while working at IBM ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not to wisecrack, but They made an offer I could not refuse. It was best and last, and it was a very good and fair offer.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in October 2013.

Interview Details – Easy process. Phone screen then interview in office -- 3 30 minute interviews. Whole thing took several months.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were innovative   Answer Question

Software Sales Specialist Interview

Software Sales Specialist
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at IBM in January 2009.

Interview Details – simple, three interviews

Interview Question – straight forward questions about experience and skills   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – over the phone, working with HR in India... slow response

Research Staff Member Interview

Research Staff Member
Yorktown Heights, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Gave a presentation, which was followed by 9 rounds of interviews. Mostly "fluffy" questions though

Interview Question – Presentation was hardest part   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.. they give you a standard package based on your position

Lead Architect Interview

Lead Architect
White Plains, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in May 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed in 1999, so things might be different now. But I had a Phone interview first, then was asked to come in same day for an in person interview. Met with a few managers, and then after about 1 hr, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – What is it that you find difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. First job, so I took what they gave me.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted in August for a resume drop, then contacted again in September for interviews. Flown out to NYC office for interviews in late September. Interviews lasted only one morning, consisting of 1 case and 2 behavioral. My interviewer for the case was very unprepared and was looking up her case while I gave my "tell me about yourself" talk. Behavioral interviews were pretty standard. After the interview, I was told decisions would not be made until November. In the first week of November I was emailed saying I was still under consideration. After 2 weeks of not hearing anything, I emailed the recruiter and was replied to with a rejection.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone of an idea.   Answer Question

Senior Change Management Consultant Interview

Senior Change Management Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2013.

Interview Details – Heavy OB / Org Psych focus
First round: informational / get to know interview with Associate Partner
Second round: informational phone interview with a consultant
Third and final round:
Group case + two individual interviews (strategy case & behavioral)

The overall process was light, positive, and very different from what I expected.

Waiting for final result now.

Interview Question – Not sure, all questions were pretty generic   Answer Question