IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 3 different managers

Interview Question – Give a scenario where something went wrong on a project and how you turned it around   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed on campus. Opportunity given on career fair.
30 minutes. just asked things on resume.

Interview Question – kept asking technical things in your previous experience   Answer Question

Technical Sales Interview

Technical Sales
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in June 2008.

Interview Details – Five separate f2f interviews-
Technical interview
Peer interview (2x)
Manager interview (technical sales manager)
Manager interview (sales team manager)

Communications were very good. Initial offer was reasonable, final offer was only $1k higher. No real flexibility in developing a package for non-executive level positions - ie "All employees receive 3 weeks of vacation when hired, no exceptions" and "IBM does not offer stock options until successful completion of 6 months employment and meeting performance goals". Each interview was really a separate event; it did not seem like anyone communicated from one to the next; many similar questions, covered the sales plan several times, etc.

Seem very regimented. The idea of a 40 hour work week is unrealistic in sales, and there are no rules of engagement for when to pursue an opportunity and when to engage a partner, etc.

I would recommend getting a VERY CLEAR desciption of the "average week / average month", either in writing or take good notes. Then, when you are being asked to work yet another Saturday because "you were hired to do a job, not put in hours" you can refresh their memory about how an average week would be 45-50 hours. They do not tell you about all the expectations, and once you start you are pretty much on your own. Ask about getting a mentor whose bonus compensation is tied to the same goals as your bonus.

Interview Questions

• Role play your reaction to an extremely irate customer - where we need to fix a problem before we can close a large deal.

Then they start yelling. For real.
      View Answer
  • Given a set of business requirements. Whiteboard a suggested architecture of servers, storage, software, etc to meet that need.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much. They seem to have a standard range for a given position and they do not vary. Ask for the most money you can up front, becasue once you are hired (at least in sales) you do not get a raise. I do not mean you get a small raise like 2% - you get NO raise. Even if you are at 150% of your quota. You are told your salary is tied to "global profit sharing" which pretty much means unless every unit in this amazingly large company is making their sales plan, you get nada in comission either.

Principal Consultant Interview

Principal Consultant
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in January 2007.

Interview Details – First there is a screening through a questionnaire, then a telephone nterview where the HR staff ensures that the hiring manager's requirements are met and that the applicant understands the position and is serious about the position. HR person asks a lot of question about why the applicant wants to change jobs, what is the current salary, what salary is the applicant expecting, willing to travel and relocate, This phone interview is not subtle and a lot of the questions are repeated in a round abou way to confirm the answer.
The second part of the inerview is in person with the hiring manager and several of his colleagues and staff. This was a pleasant experience. The interviewers were probing but not obtrusive. There was a lot of interaction between the interviewre and the applicant so that both sides got a feel for one another.

Interview Question – Would you be prepared to take a long term assignment in the Far East, China, Japan or Korea?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Current empolyer offered better position and salary, more in line with what I was looking for.

SAP Consultant Interview

SAP Consultant
Phila, PA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in December 2007.

Interview Details – Day 1 - Arrived at PHL airport and was taken by Taxi into the city where we stayed at a hotel in city central. The night consisted of a banquet to welcome all potential employees and a meet a greet with the management. The atmosphere was very relaxed and informal. Dress was business casual. Speaches were made by the head of the consulting groups who were approachable afterward for questions.

Day 2- Walked from hotel a few blocks over to the building where IBM was conducting the interviews. The conference room was bright and had a night view of the city.
Breakfast buffet was served and there was about an hour or so to go over notes before the actual interviews started. There were 2 interviewers and times were done by time slot. Between the first and second I had 1/2 hour to prepare in which time I was able to relax and compare notes with others, and take a gander out the window.

The interviewers were friendly and personable, no ego or condescending tones. And I still keep in touch with 1 of the interviewers to this day. Typical questions were "Why do you want to work for IBM?" "Why would you be a good fit?" "Do you have issues with traveling?" "What do you like about IBM?"

Before the end of the second interview I was told that I would be receiving his recommendation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was done over the phone. Feel the market out for what you think is fair, just be aware that they will have already done the same.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!