IBM Interview Questions in Portland, OR

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in August 2010.

An absolutely terrible experience. Multiple interviews over two months. Each time, I had less than two days notice so it would benefit their scheduling. The hiring manager from Tucson, interviewed me three times with the same set of questions each time, obviously looking for variation. Being in HR, I understand the behavioral based questions, but over multiple times, it makes HR leadership look like they are idiots. Ask the same question twice maybe, then put the canned questions away and get to know the candidate, take them out to lunch, go for a walk around the complex.

Went to the Beaverton IBM location twice to be interviewed face to face over two days, then interviewed over the phone by an absolutely clueless HR Director from San Francisco. After talking with her, she seemed like she was out of her league....stammering and unable to answer questions that I had for her.

At that point, I interviewed with an HR Partner in Phoenix and then AGAIN by the HR Manager from Tucson, asking the same behavioral based questions. It seems very evident that people in HR at IBM have decision-making disorders and are afraid to hire candidates....I have never been treated so unfairly without any consideration to my time or trying to make arrangements to interview.

Money also seemed to be a big underlying issue throughout the process. There was always this notion that there was no money to do anything, yet the stock price was at $130/share. I was asked, on six separate occasions "What have you done in your past position to get a project or presentation completed with no funding". In the same vein, since this was a Regional HR Leader position, it would involve travel, which was absolutely fine with me. The caveat was that ALL travel had to be approved by a VP in advance....even day trips with no overnight stay. It ws just unbelievable.

After three weeks from my last contact, I got a call that they had hired someone else. The hiring manager from Tucson said "just letting you know". Wouldn't give any details or insight, just "letting me know" After six interviews over two months telling me that "Your our top candidate" this is unacceptable.

In retrospect, I learned more about IBM and I am truly glad that I didn't get the job. From the outside looking in, one might think that IBM is a name brand company that would be dedicated to it's employees and have lots of oportunites. In my opinion from my interviews, it is very political, there is NO risk taking, no one can make a decision, there is not a lot of upward movement and they don't like to spend money for reasonable business expenses. I truly believe that this company banks on it's global name brand to bring in the talent, but once you get there, it's not what you think.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond to get the job done and what were the critical factors you had to deal with?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in May 2010.

ID contracting company used locally, most new positions going through that process as a filter. Understand the Organization within IBM you are applying to, try to locate someone within IBM to does that areas "growth plays". If you have link your current experience to those, it's leg up.

1 week, first offers are fair. so some but not much negotiation room. Understand the positions "brand level". This set salary ranges. Higher band = more room for Salary growth.