IBM Interview Questions in Portsmouth, South East England, England

Updated Feb 25, 2015

3.6

Business Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

After filling the application form, was invited to sit a psychometric tests. They were a bit harder than I expected and actually thought I wouldn't pass yet two days after received an email saying I had passed an my CV was being screened. After a few days was invited for an assessment centre a month later.
    For the assessment centre had to prepare a 15min presentation about how I work in a team, a time I took initiative and created something innovative; to do research on an IBM product; client or project that I was interested; what I would bring into IBM and how could I benefit from them.
    After the interviewer asked me questions for 15mins nothing special. What did I know about IBM, what did I expect to be doing, a time I delivered over pressure... It was quite relaxed.
    Also did 2 group exercises which were quite easy. It's all about how we interact with the colleagues rather than a absolute right answer.
    Next day got told I passed the assessment centre yet it has been a month and still haven't been invited for a a final interview.

Inbound Call Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM.

There are few direct contracts nowadays with IBM, and certainly no 'jobs for life.' I was hired originally via a recruitment agency (Manpower.) After a year I was offered a permanent position, but on contract. The interview process was the same as any other you would expect. You have to show commitment to the job and the company, and convince them you are not here today gone tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • None. I have good experience in handling all kinds of customers.   Answer Question

It would have been a huge drop in salary, plus I was aiming to move on in under a year.

Business & Technology COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Online Form demonstrating competencies. Online Tests. Assessment Centre. One-to-One interview

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were to win £100,000,000 today in the lottery? What is our share price today?   Answer Question

Graduate - Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Stages are
    1. Online application - similar to other graduate recruitment applications
    2. Selection day - I thought very easy
    3. Assessment centre - broken up into
    *numerical test - easier than expecting but practiced heavily
    *verbal test - as expected, practiced heavily though
    *group exercise - we didn't get the answer correct, but don't think that matters, as it was more about working together, I helped a couple of people, put my view forward, but made sure I was adaptable based on other peoples feedback - area I did best in from feedback
    *role play - I found this very confusing as was expected to be in character from the minute I walked through the door, was somewhat expecting some general introduction. This part lost me the job.

All based in Portsmouth.

Interview Questions
    • The role play was very difficult. The interviewer expected me to act from the minute I stepped into the room, which I was not aware of, and completely had me confused. When I showed confusion, he continued to act as the client. For example, I should have introduced myself as coming from IBM etc, but I introduced myself - with just my name etc.

Also someone walked in while I was being interviewed, I wasn't sure if part of the role play given how bizzare the start was (apparently it wasn't) but basically led to a very confusing experiences.

Answer Question

Technical Consultant/Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in September 2013.

Assessment Centre day is split into 2. Extremely challenging. The group exercises at the start of the day are not bad, but the written test isn't easy at all. Those who perform well (8/10+) in the test got invited to the next stage of the AC.

Human Resources Industrial Placement Year Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2013.

The application form (CV template) is a long process however is extremely useful once filled out as where it contains a lot of information you can transfer a lot of it to any other application forms/cover letters. Next step is the online test which I found very challenging, sequence based questions and mathematical problem solving but in quite short timings. You have to pass this in order for a manager to even review your CV. Practice before is vital.

Next is the assessment centre, there is usually around 12 of you in a room with 2 current placement students. They are there to help you relax and prepare, and it is very much a social environment, Throughout the morning you take part in a presentation to 1 interviewer, 2 group tasks (make a marshmallow tower and put a list of items in order of most practical) and finally an interview specific to you role. On my assessment centre there wasn't anybody to interview me, however from what I have heard some of the interviewers are very relaxed and friendly and some more professional. In the presentation the interviewer asked me questions at the end relevant to what I had discussed in my presentation e.g. 'What was your favourite aspect of when you worked at 'company I previously worked at'. It was more like a conversation than interview questions.

I passed all these stages and had a phone interview with my hiring manager. It was an extremely relaxed phone call where she basically told me about the role then offered it to me.

I think I was extremely lucky through this entire process as it didn't seem to challenging at all.

Interview Questions
    • Why IBM?
      Why HR?
      Give me some more examples of when you have done this skill?

Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Online Applicatio
    Psychometric Tests
    Assessment Center
    Final interview

Interview Questions
    • The assessment Center - Teamwork and numerical test was fine. It was the selling to the interviewer a offer that you only have about 30 minutes to read was the tough part.   Answer Question

Technology Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in December 2012.

Two assessment centres following an online application and some maths tests.

Interview Questions
    • Case Study working in a team of around eight people. Nothing too taxing on the first assessment centre. Second assessment centre same thing, much harder case study / problem to solve .   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM in November 2012.

Assessment Center - Three Stages - One Day

First Stage - Group project + Psychometric test

Second Stage - Presentations in groups of two

Third Stage - Interviews with IBM assessors

Interview Questions
    • Group Project - Entailed working on a complex logical problem with a set of other candidates all having pieces of information and not being able to show them to the rest of the group. Key to success was talking only when sure of being right and not being pretentious.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

Classic CV submission, IPAT test, invitation for 1st round selection day - 2 group exercises + confirmatory IPAT test. The group exercises were the same ones as are discussed online - one logic (each of you has slightly different information) + one that is focused around organizing an event. Just do your best, focused on the team work and NOT solving it yourself (which would be way more efficient!!!!!)

The overall experience was pretty negative I must say - especially in comparison with other consulting companies/positions. Everything is very anonymous, people are not helpful at all when it comes to personal needs/preferences.

Interview Questions
    • The confirmatory IPAT test only has the 'logical' part (i.e. the numerical series)   Answer Question