IBM Research Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.9

Engineering Technician Interview

A couple of managers interviewed me briefly. The manager who did most of the interviewing was an aloof and self absorbed PhD who looked at/treated me as though I was less than human. He later told me that I was his first technician.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. The job was basically mine before they made an offer - the position had been open for over a year, and another tech had been asked to pull a good worker from the fab.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM Research.

The interviews span two days. It starts with a research talk and then 30-45 min interviews with roughly 15-20 people. Most of the interviews are easy as they are interested in asking about your vision and what you want to do. In some cases, they would describe the problems they are working on and look for your suggestions and ideas. You would meet a diverse set of people with different background.

Interview Questions
    • There are no difficult questions as they are mostly open ended. They especially center around your research area and occasionally the interviewers would tell their problems and look for your suggestions and ideas. If you have a strong publication record and they are looking for people with your background then its easy to crack it.   Answer Question

Research Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM Research.

I applied on the IBM careers website for the internship. I then got an email for setting up an interview appointment. The interview was a phone interview, like a conference call, with 6 people who were part of the team including the manager.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were simple and straightforward. They wanted to understand and validate my previous work experience while also evaluating how I would fit into their team.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at IBM Research in May 2014.

I met with someone at a university event and followed up with him through email. He set up a phone interview with two people of the group. They both were very nice and the interview was on the line of trying to understand what are my strengths and weaknesses, especially since I have a non typical background for the group. They asked for some example of code I had written and promised they would follow up with me, no matter what. Not hearing back after 10 days or so, I shot an email, after which I was called by the same person, inviting me to visit the research center for a full day. There I talked with lots of people from the group in a very relaxed and open environment, the whole interview process till this point had been really great. The interview went fairly well and definitely some people were very interested in me. At the end I was told again that they would let me know as soon as possible if they were going to make me an offer or not, as communication about this is IBM policy.

After 2 weeks I did not hear anything and try to contact them with no result. I waited another 3 weeks (5 weeks total after the interview) and tried again. In half an hour I received a one line email just saying they were not going to make me an offer. At the request of some feedback, I was told that IBM does not discuss its hiring policy.

Nice interview experience, but very disappointing last phase. I do not necessarily expect to get an offer, but I would think that I should be told if that would happen or not as soon as the decision is taken, especially when in the final stage.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Mainly talking about myself and my research (even if it was not related to the group's) and basic questions about probability and algorithms.   Answer Question

Summer Research Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at IBM Research in March 2014.

I was initially contacted by an IBM employee requesting an interview. It was a 30 minutes phone call about my interests and what the group at IBM did. It was more of trying to figure out if we had similar research interests as opposed to being "tested" for my technical skills.

It's an internship. No negotiations. Their terms were pretty good

Intern Interview

Employee referral + onsite

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research.

Submitted job application through website. Contacted by manager and asked to give onsite talk and do interviews.

Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM Research in December 2013.

Entire process is like interview for faculty position. You will meet at least 20 researchers, managers, and VPs. Each individual meeting lasts 45-60 mins. You will feel beaten at the end of a day. However, there is another day and you will go through the process all over again.
    No hard questions are asked. Most around your own research. Overall, it is a very pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked how my research can be transformed to business, and help IBM business in general. To be honest, never think about things this way. So, better get prepared for such questions.   Answer Question

Advisory Software Engineer Interview

Was working as contractor before so there was no interview conducted when converting to regular position. For contractor position, I talked to few software engineers and 1-2 Researchers and wasn't asked too many difficult questions.

Research Staff Member Interview

You will deliver a talk/presentation based on your Ph.D. work. There will be one-to-one interviews that last for two full days. There will typically be a round table with those who interviewed you. The hiring manager will lead the discussion and make the final decision whether to give you an offer.

Interview Questions

Worked for IBM Research? Contribute to the Community!