IBM Research Postdoctoral Researcher Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Yorktown Heights, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research in October 2010.

I had a one-day interview that starts with a one-hour presentation followed by 10 one-on-one 30 minutes meeting with IBMers. They are very friendly and I knew them personally before. No hard technical questions were asked. They mostly want to let me know that IBM Research is a great company to work in, which I agree.

Interview Questions
  • Almost none. I just have to prepare extra for the presentation, which will be attended by the whole group of around 50 researchers. This can be very intimidating for some.   Answer Question
No negotiation without counter-offer, which I didn't have.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM Research

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at IBM Research in May 2014.

I met with someone at a university event and followed up with him through email. He set up a phone interview with two people of the group. They both were very nice and the interview was on the line of trying to understand what are my strengths and weaknesses, especially since I have a non typical background for the group. They asked for some example of code I had written and promised they would follow up with me, no matter what. Not hearing back after 10 days or so, I shot an email, after which I was called by the same person, inviting me to visit the research center for a full day. There I talked with lots of people from the group in a very relaxed and open environment, the whole interview process till this point had been really great. The interview went fairly well and definitely some people were very interested in me. At the end I was told again that they would let me know as soon as possible if they were going to make me an offer or not, as communication about this is IBM policy.

After 2 weeks I did not hear anything and try to contact them with no result. I waited another 3 weeks (5 weeks total after the interview) and tried again. In half an hour I received a one line email just saying they were not going to make me an offer. At the request of some feedback, I was told that IBM does not discuss its hiring policy.

Nice interview experience, but very disappointing last phase. I do not necessarily expect to get an offer, but I would think that I should be told if that would happen or not as soon as the decision is taken, especially when in the final stage.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Mainly talking about myself and my research (even if it was not related to the group's) and basic questions about probability and algorithms.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research.

Submitted job application through website. Contacted by manager and asked to give onsite talk and do interviews.

Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Yorktown Heights, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research in July 2010.

Got the initial interview through personal contact. From then on after sometime there was a phone interview and then a personal interview for a day.

Interview Questions
    • This was something related to the problems in the project at that time.   View Answer
    Position title.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research in June 2010.

They flew me down for a day of interview.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research in June 2009.

Had a detailed phone interview with the group manager with detailed questions about papers, research ideas, projects. Did an internship before, so it was easier, I guess, because I had some recommendations.After the interview, I got a one-year offer with a decent salary. I was surprised that no on-site interviews are necessary but I figured out that they one do it for permanent positons.

Interview Questions
    • Choose three of your best paper and explain the contribution of each paper in 2 sentences. Why is it better than anything that was proposed at the time of acceptance.   Answer Question

Personal reasons did not allow me to accept the offer at this point in time.

Anonymous Employee  in  Yorktown Heights, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Yorktown Heights, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM Research in April 2010.

went smoothly. They mostly asked questions about my experience. They also descibed their projects and asked me to identify the challenges inside.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at IBM Research.

Intensive interview

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or quite harsh questions if you know your field well.
      Make sure you skill set fits the job desc
        Answer Question

I am still waiting for the notification

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM Research.

First telephone interview, then personal interview with a 45 min. talk and interviewing during the whole day (about 7 people). Every person talked to me about his research and even showed my his experimental setup, and then asked me a couple of questions like "why did you do this and that in your previous work", "where do you see yourself in the future", "why do you want to do a postdoc" and "what are your ideas, what is what you would do"...

Interview Questions
    • There were some question that I found a little stupid, like for example "why do you want to do a postdoc".   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at IBM Research.

had an 1 hr phone interview, teleconference with 2 people. Interviewer #1 asked me questions about my research for about 45 mins. Then interviewer #2 jumps in during the last 10 mins and asks me what "design software" I use. That was odd since a) I had applied for a social science research position, and b) I had JUST spent 45 mins discussing my previous research projects, none of which involved design. That was either a trick question of some sort or that person didn't understand my background at all after 45 minutes of teleconferencing. I replied that I do not design, I'm a researcher, that's the position I'm looking for. Haven't heard from them since. Frankly, if you're interested in my understanding of UX design you should be asking conceptual questions (how would you design X, Y, Z, or puzzle questions). Asking "what kind of software you use" is silly. I'm not interested in working for any company that judges design knowledge by the kind of software one uses.

Interview Questions
    • Asking research candidates about design after I'd spent 45 minutes discussing my research projects none of which involved design. Plus I come from a business school, I told them that and it's in my resume. The advertised position was for a research postdoc, the post doc project was vaguely described as being about "the future of work". Nothing related to design. The word design didn't even appear in the job description, neither in my resume.   Answer Question

Worked for IBM Research? Contribute to the Community!