IBM Research Postdoctoral Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2014

2.8

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM Research in May 2014.

I met with someone at a university event and followed up with him through email. He set up a phone interview with two people of the group. They both were very nice and the interview was on the line of trying to understand what are my strengths and weaknesses, especially since I have a non typical background for the group. They asked for some example of code I had written and promised they would follow up with me, no matter what. Not hearing back after 10 days or so, I shot an email, after which I was called by the same person, inviting me to visit the research center for a full day. There I talked with lots of people from the group in a very relaxed and open environment, the whole interview process till this point had been really great. The interview went fairly well and definitely some people were very interested in me. At the end I was told again that they would let me know as soon as possible if they were going to make me an offer or not, as communication about this is IBM policy.

After 2 weeks I did not hear anything and try to contact them with no result. I waited another 3 weeks (5 weeks total after the interview) and tried again. In half an hour I received a one line email just saying they were not going to make me an offer. At the request of some feedback, I was told that IBM does not discuss its hiring policy.

Nice interview experience, but very disappointing last phase. I do not necessarily expect to get an offer, but I would think that I should be told if that would happen or not as soon as the decision is taken, especially when in the final stage.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions. Mainly talking about myself and my research (even if it was not related to the group's) and basic questions about probability and algorithms.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM Research

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM Research in March 2014.

I met a research staff member at a conference and revealed my interests on the company. Then I had a phone interview with the staff to confirm my qualification. Then I was invited as a seminar speaker. I talked to 4 postdocs/junior staffs in the morning, gave a talk at noon, and talked to 4 senior staffs/managers in the afternoon. It went well. Most of them are interested in my current research. A potential manager asked me a hypothetical question about how to deal with a specific technical problem. I had a positive experience at IBM. The job opening came up after 3 months. They are interested in my so they contacted my reference about my qualifications on that position. My reference said the position might not fit my background therefore I did not get the offer.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM Research.

Submitted job application through website. Contacted by manager and asked to give onsite talk and do interviews.

Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM Research in October 2010.

I had a one-day interview that starts with a one-hour presentation followed by 10 one-on-one 30 minutes meeting with IBMers. They are very friendly and I knew them personally before. No hard technical questions were asked. They mostly want to let me know that IBM Research is a great company to work in, which I agree.

Interview Questions
    • Almost none. I just have to prepare extra for the presentation, which will be attended by the whole group of around 50 researchers. This can be very intimidating for some.   Answer Question
    No negotiation without counter-offer, which I didn't have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM Research in July 2010.

Got the initial interview through personal contact. From then on after sometime there was a phone interview and then a personal interview for a day.

Interview Questions
    • This was something related to the problems in the project at that time.   View Answer
    Position title.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM Research in June 2010.

They flew me down for a day of interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM Research in April 2010.

went smoothly. They mostly asked questions about my experience. They also descibed their projects and asked me to identify the challenges inside.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM Research in June 2009.

Had a detailed phone interview with the group manager with detailed questions about papers, research ideas, projects. Did an internship before, so it was easier, I guess, because I had some recommendations.After the interview, I got a one-year offer with a decent salary. I was surprised that no on-site interviews are necessary but I figured out that they one do it for permanent positons.

Interview Questions
    • Choose three of your best paper and explain the contribution of each paper in 2 sentences. Why is it better than anything that was proposed at the time of acceptance.   Answer Question

Personal reasons did not allow me to accept the offer at this point in time.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM Research.

Intensive interview

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or quite harsh questions if you know your field well.
      Make sure you skill set fits the job desc
        Answer Question

I am still waiting for the notification

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM Research.

First telephone interview, then personal interview with a 45 min. talk and interviewing during the whole day (about 7 people). Every person talked to me about his research and even showed my his experimental setup, and then asked me a couple of questions like "why did you do this and that in your previous work", "where do you see yourself in the future", "why do you want to do a postdoc" and "what are your ideas, what is what you would do"...

Interview Questions
    • There were some question that I found a little stupid, like for example "why do you want to do a postdoc".   Answer Question