IBM Research Research Staff Member Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2015

Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM Research in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, 3 phone interviews about my research, interview with manager briefly talk about my research and what they are doing, interview with team same thing, but i've got to hear specific areas of each team member , followup interview. asked some unclear things. invited onsite interview,

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IBM Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (San Jose, CA).

Interview

The interviews span two days. It starts with a research talk and then 30-45 min interviews with roughly 15-20 people. Most of the interviews are easy as they are interested in asking about your vision and what you want to do. In some cases, they would describe the problems they are working on and look for your suggestions and ideas. You would meet a diverse set of people with different background.

Interview Questions

• There are no difficult questions as they are mostly open ended. They especially center around your research area and occasionally the interviewers would tell their problems and look for your suggestions and ideas. If you have a strong publication record and they are looking for people with your background then its easy to crack it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

Entire process is like interview for faculty position. You will meet at least 20 researchers, managers, and VPs. Each individual meeting lasts 45-60 mins. You will feel beaten at the end of a day. However, there is another day and you will go through the process all over again.
    No hard questions are asked. Most around your own research. Overall, it is a very pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• Being asked how my research can be transformed to business, and help IBM business in general. To be honest, never think about things this way. So, better get prepared for such questions.   Answer Question

Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM Research.

Interview

You will deliver a talk/presentation based on your Ph.D. work. There will be one-to-one interviews that last for two full days. There will typically be a round table with those who interviewed you. The hiring manager will lead the discussion and make the final decision whether to give you an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (Yorktown Heights, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

The company knows me well from my previous work and multiple patents and publications.
    The interview therefore consisted of many 1:1 meetings with key research persons who proposed multiple research subjects for me to work on and discussed with me to see what best fits both. Before these multiple 1:1 meetings I did a comprehensive presentation about my past research to most of them together.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions in the regular sense.
      The difficulty was in the effort to analyze the existing research options given plus to show my competence to face various research challenges in a sincere and thoughtful manner.

Answer Question

Negotiation

I was doing my best during the interview to be as effective and productive as I could in presenting my research wish list and responding to the various suggestions. When I received the first offer by mail I have checked it and found that it fits what I expected, so I accepted my first offer without negotiation. As part of the offer testing procedure, I checked the data on Glassdoor which was indeed helpful and helped me to confirm that my offer was fair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (Yorktown Heights, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

group presentation first followed by 10-12 one on one discussions about your previous research projects. no coding questions.

Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM Research in March 2010.

Interview

You'll be interviewed by at least 3 group leaders and their next - level manager, as well as by an HR person who'll make sure you are not too rough around the edges (crazy, rude, unable to communicate). You'll be walked through this very impressive laboratory building while you chat rather informally with each interviewers in turn. Interview atmosphere was friendly.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest problem you solved at your last employer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was pleased by the offer and I really wanted to work there. I did not attempt to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (Yorktown Heights, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

You will be invited to a site visit. You will give a seminar to researchers, some of whom will be interviewing you. Your interviewers will be talking to you one to one in their private rooms. They are not given a prescription by IBM as to what questions to ask. So, it all depends on the interviewer. Some may ask you technical questions, some will ask soft qualitative questions. Make sure you present well, answer questions well, and show interest and curiosity. Do your homework, and take a look at IBM Research publications. They always like it if you mention one or two publications or patents they published.

Interview Questions

• 1. Industry versus academia. Why do you want to work for industry and particularly for IBM Research.
      2. Salary expectation. Check glassdoor.

1 Answer

Negotiation

I liked the offer the first time and accepted it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (Yorktown Heights, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I was recruited while in the last year of a Ph.D. program. The interview process consisted of presenting my Ph.D. work to date (what could be presented in 60-90 minutes), answering (lots of) questions during my talk, and two full days of 45 minute interviews with other Research Staff Members: Non-managers, Managers, Sr. Managers, Directors, and a VP. In these interviews I was asked questions about my research, given some puzzles (typically related to their own research), asked about where I wanted my career to go, etc. It was, generally, a very friendly process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I was willing to move to NY. This was unexpected because I would not have been going through the interview process if I were not so willing. There were several difficult questions. These questions tended to be difficult because the research area was not mine, but the RSMs asking understood this and were prepared with "suppose you had a method that could answer <X>." They wanted to gauge your ability to problem solve ... not see if you had read a particular paper (outside of your own area).   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hawthorne, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IBM Research (Hawthorne, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

There was a phone interview. Basically, we discussed what I worked on for my dissertation and also previous research work at the PhD level. We discussed the impact of the research and how it fits with the group I interviewed with. After that, I received an email asking me to come in to give a job-talk and have one-on-one interviews with others. This was for 2.5 days. Nothing really special. They tried hard selling the job. There were no brain teasers and such. The interview process was more of a get-to-know you type of interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the impact of your research work? How do you think your research plans will fit with your perceived goals in our lab?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.