IBM

Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.7

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Initial interview process went very quickly. Received a call after resume was passed forward through employee referral and had two phone interviews with the Hiring Manager. Human Resources was not very involved. Interview was more of a discussion than pointed questions. Based on the interview, I did not really know what to expect when first starting.

Interview Questions
  • After moving into another position, the interview was more challenging - one of the more challenging questions was how I would handle different scenarios and my plan to come up to speed.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Sales Specialist Interview

took about 3 weeks, email followed by phone followed by 2 interviews with hr and manager, not too difficult or long but couldnt really get a feel for what they were looking for or felt throughtout the process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

3 calls with HR people. 1 call with hiring manager. Typical questions and follow up process. I would recommend follow up with everyone you speak with. Also, make sure to connect all managers and HR people on LinkedIn. Also make sure to have plenty of knowledge relating to the history of the company. People really enjoy conversations about IBM history.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in February 2012.

Very simple and laid back single interview process

Only one interview with the hiring manager who was very pleasant.
    Seemed like they needed someone right away with the appropriate experience which I just barely had. I think they were more interested in what type of character I had.

Got an offer with in a week. I was very surprised how fast this came about.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in January 2012.

The interview went well. They were on a hiring freeze which created a decent time period before my last interview, and my offer. Be yourself, they were really looking for personality in this role.

Interview Questions
    • What is a quality you feel is a necessity in this business/role?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in March 2011.

I went through two phone interviews followed by a face to face interview with my hiring manager. IBM was very generous in the recruiting process and flew me to my interview as well as put me up in a hotel near the office site. It took a while for a decision to be made, but it was worth the wait.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Began with an introduction/recommendation email sent to hiring manager by a former co-worker of mine who knew him. That resulted in a phone call, then two F2F meetings... One was a dinner meeting with the hiring manager, and the second was with his boss in the company offices about a week later. The offer was made 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me for key names of people I worked with at major accounts, to see if I knew them without looking them up.   View Answer
    I asked for a slightly higher base salary and they agreed... There is a fairly simple chart used to set band ranges, and as long as you come in just below the mid-point, you should be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in March 2010.

Applied online but used my network as references. Had to do 2 rounds of phone interviews then 3 face to face interviews with various managers. After the final round of interviews, the hiring manager told me he wanted to offer me a position but it would come from HR. It took about a week to hear back from HR but the whole process was very smooth.

Interview Questions
    • What would your mentor say is the area you need the most improvement?   Answer Question
    They would not budge on base but I did negotiate a sign on bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in September 2009.

Applied through a friend who works at IBM. He helped get my resume to the direct hiring manager. This resulted in a phone screen, typical phone type of interview for a sales person. The next meeting was a face-to-face coffee. Things proceeded quickly and I also meet with a Vice President from the Software group.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about 450K co-workers? Essentially a small country.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Accept it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in April 2009.

Job will be posted internally for 2 weeks then externally up to 1 month. Candidates are screen via software for high level qualifications (key words - use them). Upon qualification, notice is given that you have moved to the next step and instruction is given on how to proceed, what to expect. This is a tiered process in which various stakeholders will review your profile and suggest areas for further vetting. Most roles are quite difficult to fill once they are vacant - HR and Finance must sign off on the hire.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was "how will I meet my goals"? It was out of place during the interview and that is why it was unexpected.   View Answer
    You are compensated based on experience and accomplishment. Global Services uses pay grades (bands) and salary can vary. Negotiation for a lateral or vertical move is recommended, the offer extended is best and final in most every instance.