IBM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summit Interview

Summit
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at IBM in November 2013.

Interview Details – The Summit internship hiring process is usually around 3 phone interviews. The first phone interview, you will talk with one of the HR hiring managers. This was more of a get to know you interview and my interviewer was so nice and easy to talk to. The second phone interview is with your potential manager if you get an offer full-time after the internship and the last is your host manager if you're hired as an intern.

Interview Question – Mock Sales Pitch   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were very accomodating

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Foster City, CA

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Question – General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Software Quality Assurance Engineer

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – The hiring process was very clean. I was called by a senior recruiter and was given a description of the job. Then I spoke with the Manager of the team followed by a call the following week with 2 engineers via facetime. I got a a call the next day confirming that they were willing to offer me the position. The questions weren't really very hard and were basic Data Structures and OOP questions. One of the engineers asked me to explain to him how to write a program to find a plaindrome by ignoring symbols in the string.

Interview Question – Check if a word is a palindrome by ignoring the symbols present in the word. For example, $$AA,^G(O&G are palindromes, but A%B, $, #RT^ are not.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted through recruiter, hired over the phone. Never saw my manager until we met to sign paperwork.

Interview Question – They were all technical questions, and it was a phone interview. It was like taking an open book test, but it's a realistic idea of what the job would be like. If you don't know the answer to a question, admit it, but get that answer in a timely fashion.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – all via phone until the offer was written. there was no negotiation on the salary, but sign on bonus and vacation days were on the table.

Business Consultant Interview

Business Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Was contacted by HR first for introductory interview. Had 3 more interviews by hiring and manager as well as manager of area.

Interview Question – Did not have any unexpected questions. Employers biggest concern was readiness for travel which is considerable.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Applied online. Initial screening phone interview with HR person. Invited to networking event with number of hiring managers. Continued with 5 phone interviews. After verbal offer, process included background check, and drug testing. Written offer letter received 2 months after application. All interviewers were courteous, and willing to answer questions.

Interview Question – Describe how you would work in highly matrixed organization.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate salary, but not vacation time or job title.

Sales Specialist Interview

Sales Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2009.

Interview Details – Applied through a friend who works at IBM. He helped get my resume to the direct hiring manager. This resulted in a phone screen, typical phone type of interview for a sales person. The next meeting was a face-to-face coffee. Things proceeded quickly and I also meet with a Vice President from the Software group.

Interview Question – How do you feel about 450K co-workers? Essentially a small country.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Accept it or leave it.

Trouble Shooter Interview

Trouble Shooter
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at IBM in August 2009.

Interview Details – Consistantly Exceeds Requirements of the Job rating -vs- ratings of 'Far Exceeds'.,etc, was not due to the VA disability? But rather 'you must or you have to know 'all' the alternatives in the Billing System- Biller List Group ,Employer Identification Number (EIN) of the Plan Administraters Office,and the Office of the Chief Accountant,Armonk,NY.

Interview Question – Deadly tax Identification number.Employer Identification number.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Foster City, CA

I applied online - interviewed at IBM in July 2012.

Interview Details – Database questions (given a use case, design tables, write queries to get certain data out), Java OOP questions, synchronization in Java, HashMap + hashcode questions, Hibernate questions, Flex questions.

Interview Question – I was asked some Hibernate questions that I wasn't prepared for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a little on salary and also got sign-on bonus

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Burlingame, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – I was offered a FT position with IBM after 5 months as a Contracted Administrator in the Websphere development project. I did not have any formal interview. My work was highly complimented and praised. I was requested for my proven office coordination for field and inhouse operations after being part of the Executive admin Team supporting technical, legal, sales, and core operations staff in a project development environment.

Interview Question – There were no questions. My proven ability to perform nearly any job assigned with little to no instruction and to take charge as needed prompted the request for hire.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered a job at UCSF

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!