IBM

2.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2014.

I applied through an employee referral for an entry level software engineer as I am a new BS graduate. I interviewed with IBM tea leaf in SFO after an initial phone interview for about 20 mins. The phone interview was very casual asking questions about your background and some OOP concepts. A week later I was invited onsite scheduled to interview with 6 people - developers, QA and director. Some of my interviewers didn't show up to work and in order to replace them some other random people interviewed me and it was a little disorganized.
     Questions were mainly about my background, resume, and projects etc. They grilled me on each and every project/work experience on my resume and asked me questions on how I did whatever I did. I was asked a few technical questions here and there but no extensive whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
    • write pseudo code to add a node to a singly linked list   Answer Question
    • have you ever used exception handling in your projects? any OOP concepts?   Answer Question
    • how did the frontend connect with your backend in your project? How do you parse a JSON object?   Answer Question
    • What is the most efficient sorting algorithm? What is its runtime?   View Answer
    • how do you check if a number is odd or even?   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Questions
    • General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question
    It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The hiring process was very clean. I was called by a senior recruiter and was given a description of the job. Then I spoke with the Manager of the team followed by a call the following week with 2 engineers via facetime. I got a a call the next day confirming that they were willing to offer me the position. The questions weren't really very hard and were basic Data Structures and OOP questions. One of the engineers asked me to explain to him how to write a program to find a plaindrome by ignoring symbols in the string.

Interview Questions
    • Check if a word is a palindrome by ignoring the symbols present in the word. For example, $$AA,^G(O&G are palindromes, but A%B, $, #RT^ are not.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Was contacted by HR first for introductory interview. Had 3 more interviews by hiring and manager as well as manager of area.

Interview Questions
    • Did not have any unexpected questions. Employers biggest concern was readiness for travel which is considerable.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Applied online. Initial screening phone interview with HR person. Invited to networking event with number of hiring managers. Continued with 5 phone interviews. After verbal offer, process included background check, and drug testing. Written offer letter received 2 months after application. All interviewers were courteous, and willing to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would work in highly matrixed organization.   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate salary, but not vacation time or job title.

Summit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM in November 2013.

The Summit internship hiring process is usually around 3 phone interviews. The first phone interview, you will talk with one of the HR hiring managers. This was more of a get to know you interview and my interviewer was so nice and easy to talk to. The second phone interview is with your potential manager if you get an offer full-time after the internship and the last is your host manager if you're hired as an intern.

They were very accomodating

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM.

I was offered a FT position with IBM after 5 months as a Contracted Administrator in the Websphere development project. I did not have any formal interview. My work was highly complimented and praised. I was requested for my proven office coordination for field and inhouse operations after being part of the Executive admin Team supporting technical, legal, sales, and core operations staff in a project development environment.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions. My proven ability to perform nearly any job assigned with little to no instruction and to take charge as needed prompted the request for hire.   Answer Question

I was offered a job at UCSF

DemandTec Senior Statistician/Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in November 2012.

applied online and get contacted in two weeks. Questions were not difficult. First asked me to introduce myself, and then asked me several probability questions, statistical modeling, and brain teaser question. Overall, it was fun

Interview Questions
    • three ants at a triangle, and they can only go through the lines (they can go either direction), and the probability that either two ants meet?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online – interviewed at IBM in July 2012.

Database questions (given a use case, design tables, write queries to get certain data out), Java OOP questions, synchronization in Java, HashMap + hashcode questions, Hibernate questions, Flex questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked some Hibernate questions that I wasn't prepared for.   Answer Question
    Negotiated a little on salary and also got sign-on bonus

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2010.

Contacted through recruiter, hired over the phone. Never saw my manager until we met to sign paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • They were all technical questions, and it was a phone interview. It was like taking an open book test, but it's a realistic idea of what the job would be like. If you don't know the answer to a question, admit it, but get that answer in a timely fashion.   Answer Question
    all via phone until the offer was written. there was no negotiation on the salary, but sign on bonus and vacation days were on the table.