IBM Senior Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.8

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in June 2008.

Interview

It's a three step process:

1. Initial phone screen
2. Technical phone interview
3. Office visit: this consists of participating in a group problem solving exercise where you're evaluated on your interaction with your assigned team and presentation abilities. Then you meet for 1:1 interviews with up to 3 interviewers.

Interview Questions

• This isn't an interview question but you'll be presented with a business problem for which you'll be asked to work with a team and submit recommendations.   Answer Question
  • You'll have to present your recommendations to a panel of interviewers who will then ask questions about how you arrived at your conclusions and recommendations.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They're generally not flexible on negotiations, but a question to ask is if the offer is competitive with market rates.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in July 2009.

Interview

It was several weeks between my resume submission to the hiring manager and the first interview. However, once I had the interview the process moved quickly. I did an initial phone interview with HR which covered personality traits and resume review. I flew to TX to interview with a group of partners and then the Director of the practice. These interviews were very intense. I was grilled on my experience and what I could bring to IBM.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you are worthy of a position at IBM?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a 'take it or leave offer' with no ability to negotiate further.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in August 2010.

Interview

Responded to agency job advert on jobsite web page, sent them cv with a cover letter online, got a phone call later on in day from agency stating they'd liked my cv and sent it to IBM for review.
    Got phone call from agency abotu a week later asking for availability for phone interview...phone interview took place about a week later, was very technical, questions about specific software and techonologies ( websphere, MQ, windows, unix ) . Did okay, was told they'd arrange a 1-1 interview...took another week, went to South Bank offices, was a 3-1 with one techie ( same one who phone interview me ) , my potential manager and a HR type. Some more technical questions then a wlkthrough of my CV followed by loads of "what would you do" & "describe a situation where" from the manager - lasted just over an hour. In the end I was told there and then they would offer me the job and then HR bod went into pay and package. As job was advertised with pay at £45k - £55k, I asked for £55k as I had all experience and skills they were looking for already. Luckily they settled for that.
    Got an official letter of employment about 2 weeks later ( had to chase them up a couple of times though )

Interview Questions

• what would you do if you walked into a hostile environment and didn't speak the laguage ?   Answer Question
    • how would you get into a unix host for which no-one knew the the root password ?   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you tick all the boxes then suggest asking for max else be realistic and get some sort of agreement to start at one rate then ask for it to be reviewed in a years time

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IBM (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

6 rounds of interview

Interview Questions

• Hope you will consider our offer.   1 Answer

They interviewed 6 rounds, and made a decision to offer. The offer they gave was for a lower position than what I applied for. Other IBM friends told me that it is an insult. I told the same and declined the offer. The offer they gave was even lower than my current pay.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

1 telephone interview
    2 CV focussed interview
    Assessment Day

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in July 2011.

Interview

Application on-line, followed up by a telephone interview and a recruitment day. Straight forward and very efficient.

Interview Questions

• Pressure Challenge - 10 mins to read a large case study on a company losing money and 3 mins to plan and prepare a recommendation (team work of 3).   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straight Forward - accepted as long as they paid me another £1000

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM in June 2013.

Interview

Highly persuasive recruiter talking me into going to a career day where I ran the gauntlet. Received an offer the next day. Then the legal department delayed the proceedings for 10 weeks while they decided what to do about my non-compete clause with current employer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing, it was take it or leave it

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in April 2014.

Interview

2 telefonische Kennenlerngespräche, 1 Bewerbungsgespräch vor Ort

Bei mir gab es ein erstes Kennenlernen mit der Personalabteilung per Handy. Danach kam noch ein Telefonat mit zwei führenden Beratern. Das letzte Gespräch (persönliches Gespräch) führte ich mit einem führenden Berater und einem seiner Geschäftspartner.

2 phone interviews, 1 on-site interview

I had an initial screening with HR via phone. This was followed by another telephone interview with two managing consultants. the last interview was conducted by one managing consultant and one partner.

Interview Questions

• Frage zur Markterschließung   Market-seizing question   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Adelaide (Australia)) in June 2012.

Interview

The first interview round was with HR to discuss the job profile and know the status of candidate. Second Round was with the Business Manager which was more analytical and personality assessment. The last round was with the Technical Architect of the company to analyze the technical skills.

Interview Questions

• Example of most difficult technical problem in your recent project and how I resolved the same.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Zürich (Switzerland)) in August 2012.

Interview

very friendly, very well organized. Interviews: one telephone, 4 on site (two visits). After mutual offer, it took almost 2 months until I received the actual contract, as I needed to go through the whole admin process (I was referred by an employee, but not through an internal process).

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions; they are interested in past projects and industry knowledge   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, just received a mutual offer and then got the contract sent.