IBM

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in February 2010.

Interview Details – Telephone interview followed by an Assessment Center - Case study, Group Discussion, Presentation, Competency based interview, Partner and then a HR round of interview. Assessment is completed in a single day. However the process of applying and getting a call takes time can take upto a couple of months.

Interview Question – Why did you change companies so often?
Are you an opportunist?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Reasonable, not a very great negotiation opportunity.

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in July 2011.

Interview Details – Application on-line, followed up by a telephone interview and a recruitment day. Straight forward and very efficient.

Interview Question – Pressure Challenge - 10 mins to read a large case study on a company losing money and 3 mins to plan and prepare a recommendation (team work of 3).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straight Forward - accepted as long as they paid me another £1000

Senior Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – 1 telephone interview
2 CV focussed interview
Assessment Day

Interview Question – Challenges faced in previous projects/ work   Answer Question

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – My CV was provided to the company through a friend. I was then sent a job spec and I had a short phone interview with a partner. I believe the usual process is to go through two interviews - one with a manager and one with a partner.
I was then sent an offer of employment via HR.

Interview Question – What do you want to be when you grow up?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was straightforward except for one sticking point. A friend who interviewed for a similar position in Australia reported precisely the same experience and the same irritation.

In the interview, a scenario was pitched in which an arbitrary question requires a numerical answer. You will have to "guess" a whole bunch of input data and then predict an answer.

If your first instinct is to build a simple mathematical model to reduce the number of arbitrary guess-numbers you need to use you will be "wrong". This will not be explained to you but you may be told afterwards that you need to guess the entirety, i.e. simply start throwing random numbers down on a piece of paper and work out a single-use answer. The question will usually be something where you could get the answer off the internet in 5 seconds.

It's a useless scenario and entirely contrary to the way an experienced analyst should work but there you have it. Welcome to IBM.

Interview Question – You want to convert motor license fees to a fuel tax only. By what percentage should you increase the fuel tax?   View Answer

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!