IBM

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Managing Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews, case studies, behavioral questions..

Senior Consulting Manager Interview

Senior Consulting Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in November 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact by headhunter. On site interview in WDC. all day interviews. met with 10 people. Some group interview questions. Follow on negotiation with head hunter.

Interview Question – what is your most difficult client assignmenet   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM in June 2012.

Interview Details – Had a couple interviews: Technical Interview and Business interview. Simple to get to the next steps

Interview Question – Interview questions were simple and straight-forward.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at IBM in January 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was initially a little difficult as it looked like they weren't initially interested, but upon obtaining an offer from a competitor, they perked up and quickly moved through hiring.

Interview Question – How many projects have you completed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very short. They clearly wanted me to join and made the top offer.

Armonk, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in September 2008.

Interview Details – Without much fuss but maybe a bit slower than smaller, more agile companies. Very heavy on in-person interviews to test fit and overall candidate performance. The screening process for my particular position started at the university with a phone interview and closed with a intense 4 interviews in one day session a couple of weeks later. Emphasis is on fit (passion/enthusiasm for the industry and company) and business cases that require some creative thinking and basic understanding of the IBM business model.

Interview Question – Heavy on business cases that are somewhat IBM specific. Reading up on the company's strategy helps and is expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very limited negotiating power. IBM has clout in the industry and uses it. This giant doesn't fall with any individual and will not give in. Will respect market rates though as you can prove them.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at IBM in September 2011.

Interview Details – Process was very fast as they were trying to fill a position for an upcoming project

Interview Question – how do you configure key figures in SAP APO   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very professional and informed the whole way through the process.

Interview Questions

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at IBM in May 2011.

Interview Details – Long and drawn out as they try to locate a work order at a client for you before you join. Also all things indicated great opportunities ahead but market conditions are always to blame when management over promise and under deliver.

Interview Question – will you work nights and weekends   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they offered and would not bend..even vacation and partial month was ripped off

Very Easy Interview

Senior Managing Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in November 2010.

Interview Details – Well done. Met with 5 people and each one was prepared.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Fine. The salary was acceptable and the benefits are very good.

Senior Managing Consultant

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM in December 2011.

Interview Details – Had great excitement about the opportunity to be part of a large firm however restrospectively it appears that the interview techniques do not seem to be conducive. The process consists of 3 steps - a. HR screen, b. Technical screen which is of high standard and thorough c. in-person with multiple senior members of the practice.

The final in-person interview is totally non-standard and left to each interviewer to determine and come to conclusion. This final step is the dicey part, while some senior members are genuine and take the time to understand the candidates background, some think its for them to decide and adopt a posture on how to eliminate the candidate. If you are lucky and survive you get to the shore, if not you are dumped.

My experience with one member was great while the other seemed like he was dragged to this task and I could not hear him properly further the questions asked were generic and did not seem like they were meant to know about my background.

Nevertheless, my advice to candidates would be to keep focussed on few key/strong things about them and keep repeating the same on the multiple interviews. Empahsize on messaging about you and get thru it. Because this stage is the key one and even though you have proven yourself about your expertise on the phone interview, it does not count towards final evaluation.

Interview Question – challenges you faced in the work done   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!