IBM Senior Managing Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.5

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM.

My interview and hiring process was 16 plus years ago and I was an experience hire. The process has changed and is more rigourus and relies a lot on recommendations.

Simple, IBM offered a competitive package

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

3 rounds of interviews, case studies, behavioral questions..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2013.

Hiring process was initially a little difficult as it looked like they weren't initially interested, but upon obtaining an offer from a competitor, they perked up and quickly moved through hiring.

Interview Questions
    Very short. They clearly wanted me to join and made the top offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in June 2012.

Had a couple interviews: Technical Interview and Business interview. Simple to get to the next steps

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IBM in September 2011.

Process was very fast as they were trying to fill a position for an upcoming project

Interview Questions
    • how do you configure key figures in SAP APO   View Answer

Salary

Senior Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM in November 2010.

Initial contact by headhunter. On site interview in WDC. all day interviews. met with 10 people. Some group interview questions. Follow on negotiation with head hunter.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in July 2010.

Very professional and informed the whole way through the process.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult project I managed   View Answer
    • What technology was I strongest in   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Armonk, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Armonk, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM in September 2008.

Without much fuss but maybe a bit slower than smaller, more agile companies. Very heavy on in-person interviews to test fit and overall candidate performance. The screening process for my particular position started at the university with a phone interview and closed with a intense 4 interviews in one day session a couple of weeks later. Emphasis is on fit (passion/enthusiasm for the industry and company) and business cases that require some creative thinking and basic understanding of the IBM business model.

Interview Questions
    • Heavy on business cases that are somewhat IBM specific. Reading up on the company's strategy helps and is expected.   Answer Question
    Very limited negotiating power. IBM has clout in the industry and uses it. This giant doesn't fall with any individual and will not give in. Will respect market rates though as you can prove them.

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at IBM.

Too easygoing. A lady and a guy were the interviewers. It seemed like they were trying to sell me telemarketing products instead of a job. It was obvious that they had been asked to set up a group the soonest possible and this showed when i was asked to join them in 4 days time the latest...

Interview Questions
    • Are you married? Are you planning to have children?   View Answer

Senior Managing Consultant Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2011.

Had great excitement about the opportunity to be part of a large firm however restrospectively it appears that the interview techniques do not seem to be conducive. The process consists of 3 steps - a. HR screen, b. Technical screen which is of high standard and thorough c. in-person with multiple senior members of the practice.

The final in-person interview is totally non-standard and left to each interviewer to determine and come to conclusion. This final step is the dicey part, while some senior members are genuine and take the time to understand the candidates background, some think its for them to decide and adopt a posture on how to eliminate the candidate. If you are lucky and survive you get to the shore, if not you are dumped.

My experience with one member was great while the other seemed like he was dragged to this task and I could not hear him properly further the questions asked were generic and did not seem like they were meant to know about my background.

Nevertheless, my advice to candidates would be to keep focussed on few key/strong things about them and keep repeating the same on the multiple interviews. Empahsize on messaging about you and get thru it. Because this stage is the key one and even though you have proven yourself about your expertise on the phone interview, it does not count towards final evaluation.