IBM Senior Project Manager Interview Questions

2.7

Senior Project Manager Interview

Interview

2 face to face interviews, One phone call

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been dismissed from a project? if "yes", why? If "no" does it signify that you do not push hard enough?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IBM (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with senior IBM resource manager by chance at a job fair in manhattan on a friday. After some causual and snappy discussion, he asked for my resume, which I had on me. It was crisp, well written, engaging and firmly planted the hook. He then directed me to some additional colleagues, who gave me an on the spot rapid fire 10 minute round robin interview, which concluded with scheduling a meeting and formal interview/vetting for the following monday. When I showed up on monday, they had all the offer letters, hiring forms and other paperwork ready and made me an offer. I worked for IBM for two years and then Left for a BBD on Wall street. To this day my decision to leave IBM was the most difficult one I have ever made in my professional career, and I would go back to IBM in a heartbeat. The point is, be prepared, and be prepared for anything, and be prepared to be decisive and confident on who you are, what you know, and what you don't. Smart, experienced, talented people can smell BS and indecisiveness mile away.

Interview Questions

• In your mind, What woud be the worst case scenario for you while working at IBM ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not to wisecrack, but They made an offer I could not refuse. It was best and last, and it was a very good and fair offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (Newark, NJ).

Interview

One in-person interview with the client with the engagement manager present and an IBM project manager on the phone.

Interview Questions

• The client asking a question of me about agile management and the IBM project manager interrupting the client and telling the client that we do not do agile management.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

Interview

Just had 1 phone interview

Negotiation

No no negotiation possible

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview process was extremely lengthy probably due to the fact that IBM carefully screens candidates. Went through 3 separate interviews first with one on one followed by group panel 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• How often would you be available for travel at a moment's notice?   1 Answer

The work location simply wasn't convenient in terms of commute. During the initial interview process there was no mention of the downtown location other than IBM had various sites from which to choose.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

Interview

Phone interview to discuss the position and work environment.

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate. Offer was "as is".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

Interview process was detailed and extensive. Interviews included the hiring partner and various associates. Because each consulting candidate will be used for a large variety of customer engagements, expectations during the interview process is about finding the best candidates available. New hires are expected the sink or swim based on their own skills and knowledge.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was firm with my request. There was limited negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IBM (Tampa, FL) in March 2009.

Interview

Plan to speak to multiple PM methodologies, SDLC, Agile, SCRUM. All standard PMO pracitces apply in this environmment and it is expected of all PM to contribute any process improvements they can identify as a result of their contract or client engagements via a Lessons earned Log file. Prefessional demeanor most recognized is a positive, 'how can I help' attitude. Damage control, problem resolution skill are a MUST.

Interview Questions

• H would I handle an unruly/unhappy customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

straight forward

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IBM (Chicago, IL) in May 2008.

Interview

Contacted by an external recruiter for a senior project mgt position. Got phone screened by a Dallas based internal recruiter. Passed that one. Second phone screen from a director level consulting person. That went fine. Flew me to Chicago for two face to face interviews with senior level practice leads. Both went great. An offer was extended and the number was exactly in line with my target. I accepted. On the application paperwork, they asked if I had ever worked for IBM. I said yes, about 18 years ago. At that time I was going through a divorce and my Dad passed away, so my performance review was average. They had all the details just like it was yesterday!! The job offer went to the VP of HR at IBM. The decision was to rescind the offer. I was livid!! Tried to get it reviewed, but simply fell on deaf ears. That was that.

Interview Questions

• There were no significantly challenging interview questions. There may have been one STAR type question, for example, "Tell me about a situation where you were faced with a major project altering decision where you had to go over your managers head?"   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IBM (London, England (UK)) in August 2011.

Interview

I was approached by a recruitment agency for the role. An initial phone interview was conducted first. I was then invited to an assessment centre. This had 3 parts. 1) A group case study. 6-8 candidates read and discussed through a case study and made a final presentation to IBM recruiters. 2) A technical interview: 1:1 competency based interview probing real life experience 3) Partner interview: 1:1 interview with a partner.