IBM

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was extremely lengthy probably due to the fact that IBM carefully screens candidates. Went through 3 separate interviews first with one on one followed by group panel 3 weeks later.

Interview Question – How often would you be available for travel at a moment's notice?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The work location simply wasn't convenient in terms of commute. During the initial interview process there was no mention of the downtown location other than IBM had various sites from which to choose.

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details – 2 face to face interviews, One phone call

Interview Question – Have you ever been dismissed from a project? if "yes", why? If "no" does it signify that you do not push hard enough?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was detailed and extensive. Interviews included the hiring partner and various associates.
Because each consulting candidate will be used for a large variety of customer engagements, expectations during the interview process is about finding the best candidates available.
New hires are expected the sink or swim based on their own skills and knowledge.

Interview Question – What are you looking for in your next job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was firm with my request. There was limited negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – Met with senior IBM resource manager by chance at a job fair in manhattan on a friday. After some causual and snappy discussion, he asked for my resume, which I had on me. It was crisp, well written, engaging and firmly planted the hook. He then directed me to some additional colleagues, who gave me an on the spot rapid fire 10 minute round robin interview, which concluded with scheduling a meeting and formal interview/vetting for the following monday.
When I showed up on monday, they had all the offer letters, hiring forms and other paperwork ready and made me an offer. I worked for IBM for two years and then
Left for a BBD on Wall street. To this day my decision to leave IBM was the most difficult one I have ever made in my professional career, and I would go back to IBM in a heartbeat.
The point is, be prepared, and be prepared for anything, and be prepared to be decisive and confident on who you are, what you know, and what you don't. Smart, experienced, talented people can smell BS and indecisiveness mile away.

Interview Question – In your mind, What woud be the worst case scenario for you while working at IBM ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not to wisecrack, but They made an offer I could not refuse. It was best and last, and it was a very good and fair offer.

Senior Project Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in October 2012.

Interview Details – Just had 1 phone interview

Negotiation Details – No no negotiation possible

Very Easy Interview

Newark, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details – One in-person interview with the client with the engagement manager present and an IBM project manager on the phone.

Interview Question – The client asking a question of me about agile management and the IBM project manager interrupting the client and telling the client that we do not do agile management.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Project Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview to discuss the position and work environment.

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. Offer was "as is".

Tampa, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2009.

Interview Details – Plan to speak to multiple PM methodologies, SDLC, Agile, SCRUM. All standard PMO pracitces apply in this environmment and it is expected of all PM to contribute any process improvements they can identify as a result of their contract or client engagements via a Lessons earned Log file. Prefessional demeanor most recognized is a positive, 'how can I help' attitude. Damage control, problem resolution skill are a MUST.

Interview Question – H would I handle an unruly/unhappy customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – straight forward

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2008.

Interview Details – Contacted by an external recruiter for a senior project mgt position.
Got phone screened by a Dallas based internal recruiter. Passed that one.
Second phone screen from a director level consulting person. That went fine.
Flew me to Chicago for two face to face interviews with senior level practice leads. Both went great.
An offer was extended and the number was exactly in line with my target. I accepted.

On the application paperwork, they asked if I had ever worked for IBM. I said yes, about 18 years ago.
At that time I was going through a divorce and my Dad passed away, so my performance review was average. They had all the details just like it was yesterday!!

The job offer went to the VP of HR at IBM. The decision was to rescind the offer. I was livid!! Tried to get it reviewed, but simply fell on deaf ears. That was that.

Interview Question – There were no significantly challenging interview questions. There may have been one STAR type question, for example, "Tell me about a situation where you were faced with a major project altering decision where you had to go over your managers head?"   View Answer

Dalian, Liaoning (China)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is OK. However, due to company grows too fast. Some people not qualified as interviewer interviews.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!