IBM Software Developer Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

One hour phone interview. Interviewer started off by describing the three positions available on his team. Interview then proceeded to ask questions about previous school projects and previous coop experience. Once all questions were asked the interviewer ended the conversation with a brain teaser. In summary, discussed previous school projects and previous coop experience. Ended interview with a brain teaser.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous job experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate pay as it was only an intern position. Was made the offer and chose to accept it once it was presented two days after the interview.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the next day for an in person final round interview. There were some questions about my experiences but it consisted mostly of technical knowledge questions (design patterns, Java, no algorithms)

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

Applied through university job hiring process.

Got interview within a few days.

Interview by Skype with Senior Developer and PM:
    Talked about personal projects, how I implemented them.
    Easy questions, about socket.io, node.js, query, mongoDB...

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The job is an entry-level software developer position. There are two rounds of interviews.

The first round happened in about 2-3 weeks after I applied. Since I am local, they asked me to come onsite, and talked to 2 software developers. It took about 1 hour, and the questions are of 2 kinds: algorithm and OOD.

The second round happened in about 3 weeks after the first round. I was interviewed with the hiring manager and 2 software developers. It took about 2 hours. The technical questions are similar to the first round. Besides that, the hiring manager spent 15 minutes to describe the position in details, and then keep asking me questions like "How do you like the position?", "Why?", "What kind of job do you like?", e.t.c. I gave a honest but maybe a very bad answer "I like this job because it is local"....

After the second interview, they hold me for a month, then told me they decided not to move forward my application.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM (Markham, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online after finishing my undergrad. They did not reply me for more than a month, so I asked my friend to refer me and then things moved quickly. I was contacted directly by hiring manager. I gave IBM's IQ test and then decided the date to do a phone interview with hiring manager. In phone interview, I was asked bit manipulation question, reverse a single linked list and anagram questions. It was about 45 mins interview with all tech question. I knew all the questions and had them practiced before hand so I did pretty well. During the phone interview, I was told that I'm selected for on-site interview. I choose to give on-site interview monday of next week. I had about 3 days to prepare, I did not choose to wait longer because I did not have job that time. It was 5.5 hours of on-site interview which included 4 interviews and 1 lunch interview. lunch interview was not counted in selection process. There were 3 tech interviews and 1 manager interview. Each 1 hour long, in manager interview I was asked behavior questions and other standard easy HR questions. Job was related to compiler so they asked me lot of low level questions including reduce the cache contention in matrix multiplication and etc. Some of the coding question were:

1. Find 2^n without using any airthemetic operator. 1 >> n
    2. Find double of a number without using airthmetic and lots lots of bit manipulation questions.
    2. Reduce cache contention in given code. Code was matrix multiplication algorithm.
    3. Explain in pseudo code, how overriding a functions in OOO languages work. And is overriding function resolved at compile time? And how about function overloading?
    4. Write a function that takes two unsigned int and returns true if multiplication of these two integers will be overflow (means number exceed limit of sizeof(unsigned int) bytes) otherwise returns false.
    5. Design stack using single linked list.
    6. Given an array of positive and negative ints , find an continuous subarray with maximum sum. On first try I was able to write an algorithm with o(1) space and o(n) time complexity so he was happy.
    7. Write a basic hashing algorithm (then he asked my why I did this way and how can I improve). And some theory about has functions.

If you applying in compiler department be sure to prepare bit manip questions and know some basic things of compilers like parsing, linking, how compiled languages different from interpreted ones, how 32 bit compiled program diff from 64 bit and other basic stuff.

Interview Questions

• Reduce cache contention on given code. Code was multiple multiplication algorithm. I did not have slightest clue of how to do that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was good salary already as new graduate.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

HR normally screen the applications based on certain keywords that match the job description, and then the filtered candidates are passed to some coordinator to do further filtering. They will look at your resume and usually for new grads they look for top marks and for professional hires they look for experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult situation that you have been in and how did you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied via university recruiting, they got back to me within a month and brought me into an office in Toronto for a one on one interview with the team leader, and then a test with one of developers on the team. The interview consisted of some standard data structure and algorithm questions, and then some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• A situational questions about what should be done if something ambiguous was assigned to you, and nobody (either the manager, client or anyone else on the team) was available.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Behavioral questions were asjed

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at IBM (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2012.

Interview

Onsite interview was set up on phone call. Reception ppl weren't friendly at all.

After 20 minutes of wait, two guys (manager and a developer) showed up. Started with famous 'a number and an array and binary search' question. One guys was interacting and the other didn't utter a single word

Interview Questions

• Question was not difficult. In fact they asked the same queston from almost every interviewee.

Qeustion: Given a number N and an array Arr[], search find two numbers which sum up to number N. When you will suggest binary search for this problem. They will ask about the complexity difference between two nested loop and binary search solution.

After discussion of algorithm/solution, they will ask you to write down the code on paper.

Both interviewers look like of Chinese origin. Only manager got involved in discussion and asked questions. The other one stayed silent. He sounds shy and asocial but was not pyschologist for sure. Maybe he was hired based on his extra-ordinary technical skills or strong internal (possibly Chinese) connection.

The whole interviewed lasted for an hour.

3 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at IBM (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2012.

Interview

It was a technical interview. First they described their product. Then asked basic OS concepts and design patterns. Then I was asked to code some algorithmic questions. After that I asked about the job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was a good offer.Did not negotiate.