IBM Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.9

52 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Applied online. Only 1 phone interview and online competency exam before receiving offer. Questions were mainly behavorial, and majority of the interview was spent telling me what I would be doing over the summer rather than vetting me. Afterwards took online competency exam, which tested basic math and abstract pattern-finding.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions, all "What's your greatest weakness" or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" types of questions.   Answer Question
Can't really negotiate going in as an intern

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Had an initial phone interview then followed with a coding challenge. FInal step is an all day on-site interview consisting of one on one interviews and a presentation of you work. The whole process was kind of long but they have good communication throughout the whole process. Had a good experience and good feedback from it.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions. After the typical tech questions it was heavily focused on culture fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at IBM in April 2014.

I had applied the to this position through the IBM portal I received a phone call after 3 weeks. I had a phone interview for around 25 minutes.in the phone interview I was asked about my undergrad project by the project manager for the position at ibm. After that round she called me to Austin and there I had two rounds of interviews.one with the project manager and the second with the team of three developers second interview was pretty tough because it was technical the first one was just a casual conversation with the project team lead she just spoke about the technologies that I had listed on my resume and asked me a few questions which gave her a fair idea of what I knew . This interview is pretty easy to crack if u know the fundementals of all the technologies listed in your resume.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at IBM.

All I had to do to get the interview was talk to a few people at my school's career fair. If you have solid credentials (work experience in open source, good GPA, etc.) then you have a good shot at an interview. They do a lot of Python programming and working with open source technologies in this sector of IBM, so experience in that world is also a plus. The interview was not technical, although they were prepared to make me an offer based on the way that I described my experiences with the various technologies that they were interested in.

Software Developer Interview

I applied to the position through my university's career website. I received an email from an IBM program director who was looking to fill 2 positions: a developer and consultant. I applied to both positions on their website, and the next day was invited to an interview event out of sate. I flew out the next week and had 3 interviews with 3 people, one of which was the program director who initially contacted me. I also had a 4th impromptu interview for a different developer position from someone who got a hold of my resume and was interested in speaking with me. All of these interviews were 99% behavioral, about me and my experiences, projects I had worked on and difficulties/successes I had in those projects. One of the managers brought in a developer who asked me two short technical questions, but no code was written. I emailed the managers when I left the event, and immediately heard back for 2 phone interviews regarding the 2 different developer positions. In one I spoke with a manager again just about myself, and in the other to a developer who asked technical questions. I followed up after both interviews and both managers said they would be extending an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you increase the performance of your website if you can design the whole system end to end?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IBM.

Was recruited out of college by several departments. Had interviews with all of them over 2 days. Got 8 offers, they don't compete with each other so all offers were the same. Logic test was pretty easy, over all interview was easy and fun. Seemed like lots of nice people who work there.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of people asked if I was working to be a manager.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at IBM.

Everyone was professional during the interview process, including HR, hiring manager, and non-manager types. The initial process was automated which made the paper work simple, but errors in automation introduced a few follow-up fixes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at IBM in August 2013.

Process description (started August 1, 2013, 30 days total from initial contact to salary offer):

1. Sent Resume, copy College Diploma and Certifications transcript from job position posted on Internet site.
    2. Contacted two days later by a recruiting agent.
    3. Scheduled first phone interview with technical manager.
    4. First phone interview seven days after initial contact. Questions related to past working experience and MS products/languages (C#). 15-20 minutes.
    5. Two days later, recruiting agent confirmed approval of tech. manager. Scheduled second phone interview with regional director. Requested detailed current employee benefits information. Regular communication by email. Official employee application form (online).
    6. Second phone interview regional director seven days after first phone interview. Current experiences and why choosing IBM. 12 minutes interview.
    7. Four days later, confirmation of approval of regional director by recruiting agent by email. Sent a second employee application form.
    8. Two days after that, first official talk about salary requirements.
    9. Confirmed preliminary salary offer.

Interview Questions

Requested salary increase. Offer lower than the national median for the position+experience, way lower for the DMV area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2011.

The interview process first started with answering some basic education and career questions so the employer understands what you are personally trying to strive for. Once a 1:1 interview is scheduled you are usually taken into a private conference room or the office of your hiring manager and asked several questions. The questions are ordered from the topics of education, previous employments, experience in the computer engineering field, hobbies, what to expect to learn from IBM. All these questions were simple and fairly easy. Once the sit down interview was over my hiring manager took me on a tour of the IBM campus and labs to see the projects that were currently being worked on. Once the tour was over my hiring manager asked me if I had any questions about the company and the job position. After a few weeks I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was to explain how to test certain basic household items. The employer was looking for in-depth and detailed ways to cover all the components of the items.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interviewed by hiring manager, then a test.

be prepared

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!